[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is mixed grip still natty? What if I use chalk? Thanks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: mixedgrip.jpg (8 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
mixedgrip.jpg
8 KB, 225x224
Is mixed grip still natty? What if I use chalk?

Thanks.
>>
I'm not really a big fan of mixed grip, because there's a real risk of tearing your bicep if you end up making a mistake. But do whatever you like, bro.
>>
No, ingesting chalk has an effect on muscle growth equivalent to a standard test cycle.
>>
File: zahir inducing bronchitis.webm (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
zahir inducing bronchitis.webm
2 MB, 1440x1080
No sorry. As soon as you use mixed grip, a squadron of /fraud/ will parachute down screaming LIGHT WEIGHT and inject you with creatine and semen and you lose your n-card.

>>35143754

pretty rare, so long as you make sure to keep slack. Hook grip gets kind of painful at heavy weights
>>
>>35143761
I will never understand how KK can be so swole and yet have such tiny calves, I don't even weigh 180lbs and my calves are bigger than his
>>
>>35143759
Hmm okay what if I use protein powder to help my grip?
>>
>>35143774

they don't look that small, but it's probably the fact that the rest of him is fuckhuge and maybe calves have some kind of threshold
>>
>>35143774
I think you're underestimating how fucking huge his thighs probably are, probably like 32', maybe more.
>>
>>35143774
kk seems to train like a powerlifter, more or less. none of those lifts require very much calf so they're small

even a lot of bbers have small calves, it's mostly sports dudes that have big ones
>>
>>35143791
Back in the old days hardcore calf training was considered essential for a heavy deadlift until Westside stripped training down to four exercises and started breaking world records
>>
>>35143748
chalk >>> mixed grip
>>
>>35143807

can you elaborate on why? I mean, plantarflexion of the ankles happens in a DL but I can't see how they'd help much
>>
>>35143839
Keep in mind that in the early days of PL most of the athletes and coaches were former olympic weightlifters, olympic lifts work the calves far more than squats and diddly so they added isolated calf work to compensate

On a related note world record holder Jaimie Lewis is a longtime critic of Westside and attributes his total to heavy cleans and other assistance exercises rarely done by mainstream powerlifters
>>
>>35143807

Westside is pretty much the opposite of 'stripped training down'.
>>
>Use raw double overhand grip until failure to pull the bar off the ground
>Apply chalk and continue training
>When this no longer works, use hook grip or straps
Mixed grip puts your supine arm at a mechanical disadvantage and opens you up to injury.
>>
>>35143859

I guess there's some carryover, apparently andy bolton used to do clean pulls or something.

>looked up jamie lewis cleans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmSkE76S3M
>>
>>35143881
reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>35143881
Pretty Benny Magnusson sometimes flirts with oly lifts too
>>
>>35143881
This has to be one of the most retarded people I 've seen lifting.
>>
File: smugredman.jpg (71 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
smugredman.jpg
71 KB, 300x297
>>35143881
>dropping 140kg on your spine like that
>>
File: ea4.gif (438 KB, 680x377) Image search: [Google]
ea4.gif
438 KB, 680x377
>>35143911
Tell that to his world records
>>
should i always use hook grip or just until double overhand grip fails?
>>
>>35143907

yes I think it's been posted on /owg/ a few times in the early days

>>35143911

not really that unsafe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPePMAgNpJk

although in fairness this is like 1.25x bodyweight for chingiz
>>
>>35143931

DOH when you can, hook when you need it (or straps, I guess). Hook doesn't have the bicep risk of mixed grip but it beats the crap out of your hands.
>>
>>35143924
I don't think jamie lewis has competed in the IPF or IWF, thus he cannot have any world records
>>
File: surprised-reaction-guy.jpg (30 KB, 300x251) Image search: [Google]
surprised-reaction-guy.jpg
30 KB, 300x251
>>35143941
But won't using hook for all sets, even 135, get your hands eventually accustomed to hook? If you use it really sparingly, isn't it possible that you never get used it and that's why your hands hurt so much?

>>35143940
> mfw if that landed 1-2cm higher on the C7 vertebrae instead of T1-T2, his neck would be crushed with 5 plates each side and he would be paraplegic at best case scenario
>>
>>35143881
>>35143881
literal retard strength
>>
>>35143976

Hook doesn't just hurt like a bitch, it shifts where the bar sits slightly and that causes it to be generally more stressful (more callusing, different weight bearing point).

Its also got a small - but non zero chance - of causing permanent nerve damage or tearing skin off. Worst case scenario, it literally tears off your thumbnail. Its about as likely as tearing a bicep with mixed grip, but in either case it pays to treat the grip with respect.
>>
>>35143940

just because some retard got away with it doesn't mean it's safe

in what fucking universe is dropping 500 pounds on your spine a good idea
>>
>>35143968
Most of his records were set with the IPF anon
>>
>>35144002

weightlifters do it pretty much all the time. Obviously if you're a novice you should take it easy, but I've never seen or heard of anyone hurting themselves like this
>>
>>35144000
> Distal bicep tendon tear : Surgically reattached, recovery of few weeks-months, back to action while being careful

> Ripping off your thumb : considered 66% disability

Goddamn why did you have to mention it lad, I went from DOH to hook because I feared muscle imbalances and bicep tears, now this.
>>
>>35144019
People have pulled over 800lbs with hook grip, you're not going to rip off you're thumb senpai, that's pants on head retarded
>>
>>35144042

Over 900, in a couple of cases.
>>
>>35143761
Why is his back so rounded on the lift?
>>
>>35144173

Pretty much everyone has some rounding at near-max loads. Its a more advantageous position for breaking the weight from the floor, but it makes lockout an issue.
>>
I usually use mixed grip when I am around 75% of my max, other than that, there's no real use for it if you have straps or chalk available.
>>
>>35144173

that's how he likes to do it, gets his hips closer to the bar without much safety worry. Back rounding isn't too bad if it's higher up the spine.
>>
>>35144019
thumbnail retard
>>
>>35143777
>>35143759
kek
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.