[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> You must build a strength base before progressing to an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: rwNHymh.jpg (20 KB, 365x395) Image search: [Google]
rwNHymh.jpg
20 KB, 365x395
> You must build a strength base before progressing to an aesthetic routine
>>
Is this true? that what everybody keeps telling me when I mention that I started out with hypertrophy (All pro's routine)
>>
>>35142959
Nah you good senpai
>>
>>35142959
You start on a full-body beginners routine to make the hypertrophy workouts viable later. There's a reason you see skeletons doing sets of 8+ reps, and it's not because they haven't been working out long.
>>
>>35142913
weak bait

>>35142959
You don't have to but it's not optimal to start with a hypertrophy routine.
>>
>>35143004
>>35143013
>will never make it
>>
>>35143021
good argument XDD
>>
Westside for skinny bastards is all you need
>>
>>35143013

Well, I started out in February this year. I've made gains in weight 60kg>70kg (177cm) and a bench press 29kg>64kg.

What should I do, do I stick with the same routine or do I change it up to a strength based one?
>>
>>35143077
Strength based one imo
>>
>>35142959
itll just take longer to make gains. The reason people recommend a strength routine first is so you spend ~3 months building a solid base rather than the better part of a year achieving the same results.
>>
>>35142913
You don't need to.

You can do something like 4x10 and progress 2.5 lbs every workout per lift... It's just that once you cap out at 3x5, you can easily lift lower weights safely.

A lot of my friends weren't very responsive to 3x5 or 5v5, but made huge gains on 4x10-12.
>>
>>35143170
>>35143170
5 lbs* Holy shit I'm retarded. I was thinking 2.5 lbs plates up per side and just wrote that.

But ya, the differences in gains between 4x10 and 3x5 is very minimal. Look at twinbros for reference.
>>
>>35143123

Would Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 work? I've been eyeing that program for a while.
>>
Yo yo yo
>>
It's funny that the conventional thinking is strength first because when I read my NSCA text book for my certification it said just the opposite. Docs say hypertrophy first, bros online say strength first.

Honestly I don't think it matters. I know people who started out with one or the other and ended up making it.
>>
>>35143180
ICF is trash do Greyskull & add whatever accessories you like t.b.h lad
>>
>>35143208

NCSA says that because its following the basic block periodization model - which tends to assume things that may or may not be true of any random lifter.
>>
>>35143209
Looks like it needs microplates. Do you recommend buying them online or just making your own?
>>
>>35143208
Hypertrophy first because it takes longer and the PT gets paid more. If somebody wanted strength coaching all they'd need is some sessions on form unless they were a legit powerlifter, in that case some dumbass generic PT can't do shit for them.
>>
>>35143325
I highly doubt the docs were thinking of the PTs money when they ran tests. Everything in the book has sources to studies. The truth is most people are probably better off lifting lighter weight before jumping straight to 85-9O% of their RM right away.
>>
>>35143209
So theoretically I could use the same template as ICF but just do 2x5 1x5+ and it would be GSLP with accessories?

Is that seriously the only difference?
>>
>>35143180
>>35143209
No, do SS.
>>
"Must" is a strong word, but it does help.
>>
>>35142959
Depends on how strong you are initially. Do you really think benching 25 lb plates for 8 reps is gonna build muscle? Someone that weak should spend a few months just getting stronger.
>>
>>35143077
Holy shit dude how can you progress that little.
>>
>>35143287
buying them online is easy if you're willing to pay 20 bucks or whatever the price is for them. If you don't want to making your own would be completely fine.

>>35143399
no. read the programs.

>>35143401
SS is fine but some people respond better to less squat frequency & especially if you're not eating at the very high caloric surplus that rip recommends
>>
File: displeasure.png (75 KB, 348x301) Image search: [Google]
displeasure.png
75 KB, 348x301
>>35143021
http://scoobysworkshop.com/starting-strength-by-mark-rippetoe/
>>
>>35143077
>64kg bench
>10 months
this is why you start with a strength routine for at least the first 6 months

the guy who reps 2pl8 will get more gains than the weakling repping less than 1pl8.

but alas anon, you can still save yourself. it is not too late
>>
>>35142959
Not, it's just a retarded meme. If anything, you should train strength-endurance before you go into hypertrophy to get your work capacity up because hypertropy routines have ton of volume.
>>
>>35144696
>tfw started with SL and made the same kind of progress
>tfw it's been 2 years and I have yet to hit 2pl8 for a single
>>
>>35143384
I agree with this. Something along the lines of SS is indeed the best beginner program but people who have had no athletic or physical exercise background in their lives need to do assistance exercises for a few weeks so that they can learn to even use the muscles in their bodies.

Most people are incapable of learning proper form on their own too, unfortunately.
>>
>>35142959
You won't gain muscles effectively when you're weak as fuck. Imagine isolating your biceps with 10lbs dumbells. Will it give you results? Fuck no. Get the strength base (1/2/3/4) and do whatever the fuck you wanna do then.
>>
>>35142913
Epic
>>
Here's this crazy idea guys, but here me out.

What if, I mean WHAT IF, you did a BB split that Incorporated. Wait for it...LOW REP COMPOUNDS
>>
>>35147645

Nothing crazy here.

What I personally do it's a split variation of grayskull:

A: Bench/OHP 3x5 and accessories 5x5 (mainly rows, pull-ups and skullcrushers)

B: Squat 3x5 and accessories 5x5 (mainly Bulgarian and lunges)

C: Deadlift 3x5 and accessories 5x5 (Bulgarian and lunges)

Depending on my schedule, sometimes I would perform A/B or A/C on the same day (leaving some accessories out) or I would split A/B/A/C/A/B/X. Some core exercises everyday before a given workout.

Usually I manage to get to X/X at the end of the week tough.

This routine is not really fix anyway. Sometimes I would find the time to go swimming and then I would rearrange.

This routine is a compromise but it works for me. My main goal is just to keep fit.
I'm getting older and available time is not the same it used to be. Cardio and stretching become quite a necessity too, once you are approaching your 40'.
>>
>>35145166
Well for a total noob who cant evem lift his own weight on anythig there is no discernible difference between hypertrophy and strength training. Literally any training is both.
What everyone is talking about is what to focus on for programming. I think for young beginnners strength is the best place to start since it focuses on form vs intensity and really trains the mental aspect of heavy lifting
For older people who gives a fuck, lol.its too late
>>
>>35143702

By not focusing on strength obviously.
I started on SS in August and I'm at 62.5kg bench from 30kg and weigh 4kg less than him
>>
>>35144868
>implying its the routines fault and not your lousy dedication and diet, or even genetics

Skele faggot
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.