[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of MSG? Is it true that it fucks with your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: msg.jpg (164 KB, 620x396) Image search: [Google]
msg.jpg
164 KB, 620x396
What do you think of MSG? Is it true that it fucks with your metabolism/hormones to promote weight gain?
>>
>>35131205

No, it's just a salt.
>>
>>35131215
like bath salts?
>>
>>35131226
Sure
>>
Try not to eat it if you can, but it's blown out of proportion health wise and is essential to good tasting Chinese food.
>>
>>35131205
Type MSG, Metabolism, and hormones into Google Scholar and see what the research says brah. From my memory, MSG hasn't actually been shown to have any negative effects, but it gives some people headaches. It's been heavy vilified for reasons I can't remember, but are supposedly false. Also apparently it's fucking delicious.
>>
>>35131246
>It's been heavy vilified for reasons I can't remember
cause people associate it with the chinese
and people hate chineses
>>
>>35131215
>it's just a salt.
salts can be bad
take Na+CN- for example
"just a salt" but quite toxic
>>
>>35131205
where does MSG come from?
>>
>>35131205
It's completely fine, but some people get headaches from it. That's seriously the only problem though.
>>
>>35131600
>Glutamate is found in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, potatoes, mushrooms, and other vegetables and fruits.
From wikiped
>>
>>35131641
so my answer to OP would be use...
>tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, potatoes, mushrooms, and other vegetables and fruits.
/thread
>>
>>35131607

Those headaches aren't even specific to MSG itself (as in you eat sodium and don't drink water) and are often imagined by the people that ate MSG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW__LPYTlk0

Obviously not a true scientific experiment but this shows the stigma behind MSG as people who are given food without MSG but are told it does have MSG say they have headaches after eating it.
>>
>>35131660
>>35131641
Reading on it appears it used to be extracted from natural sources, but now it's fermented industrially. So yeah, it's natural, but industrially produced MSG would have all the pros and cons of any other industrially fermented food, like yogurt for example.
>>
>>35131205
Salt is literally worse for your health than msg
>>
>>35131684
I'm more worried about how much your body can handle
If it's found naturally in a plant it wouldn't be enough to make you sick
>>
>>35131703
as opposed to just adding it like it's sugar or something*
>>
>>35131693
*sodium

>>35131684
>>35131703
Singled out nutrients/things from foods removes it from the other stuff in the food that helps you metabolize it. Whole foods come with other vitamins/minerals/enzymes that help your body digest it properly. When you take one thing out of the whole, your body has to pull needed vitamins/minerals from your body to digest it. That's why eating just sugar is bad, even though your body technically runs on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycation
>>
>>35131743
haven't heard this and sort of another way to look at it, ty
>>
File: 1416202403760.jpg (118 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
1416202403760.jpg
118 KB, 900x506
>>35131756
np
>>
>>35131703
>If it's found naturally in a plant it wouldn't be enough to make you sick

That's not how plants work. Plants have lots of things that can make you sick.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.