[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wouldn't overtraining be common in boot camp, especially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: SEAL_pic.jpg (62 KB, 699x392) Image search: [Google]
SEAL_pic.jpg
62 KB, 699x392
Wouldn't overtraining be common in boot camp, especially for Navy SEALs?
>>
>>35130994

is there a point here or???
>>
only for the weak ones
>>
>>35131017

It just seems like it would be counterproductive to get them in shape if they're pushed that hard
>>
>>35130994
What?
Are you asking if your gains would be undermined because of the "overtraining" at BUD/S?

I've heard stories about guys going in at 170, and leaving at 185 from doing all those dips, pull ups, pushups, running, swimming, etc.
>>
>>35130994
That's why the drop out rates are so high. Most people do become overstrained. The ones who stay are either genetically better at recovering or just have a better will.

Overtraining is overrated. The mind is powerful beyond measure, I believe.
>>
So how well do you have to be trained to pass these things without too much struggle. I realize the crawling and other military related things would still be difficult, but if you could already achieve 1/2/3/4 and have a good amount of cardio skills/bodyweight ability I feel like you could excel at most of the training.
>>
>>35131060
this
>>
>>35131116
No man. You can't exactly "prepare" for this type of training. You can train mentally and physically for the rigors of SEAL training, but it is 90% mental.

It's not easy. You have to have competitive phsycial scores to even go to the training, and even then 70-80% wash out.

>source: i'm going to a SEAL PST tomorrow to see if i qualify
>>
Its common but they just dont give a fuck about this and push their bodies
>>
>>35131030
"over training" just means you haven't recovered fully between workouts, which means less efficient gains.

Do you think they give a fuck about gains? No, its more important that they have the mental strength to push past overtraining when required in battle. Do you think they just take a "rest period" in between "sets" during an intense battle?
>>
File: 1447754172621-2.jpg (142 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1447754172621-2.jpg
142 KB, 640x960
>>35130994
The point of 'Boot camp' and selection training like BUDs isn't too get fit, it's a mental game were the instructors push potential recruits to their physical limits and evaluate their mental toughness with constant high stress activities. You could be the fittest mother fucker on course but that means absolutely nothing if your only there for bragging rights, or you thought you'd just 'give it a go' or your an absolute dickhead, see dan bilzeran for example, he did BUDs 3 times or what ever and claims to have gotten kicked back because his instructors didn't like him which is completely fair.
>>
>>35131116
>but if you could already achieve 1/2/3/4 and have a good amount of cardio skills/bodyweight ability I feel like you could excel at most of the training.
Pair that with just a couple hours of sleep on weekdays + rolling around in the cold ocean and see how that turns out.
I was in a POG unit with a handful of BUDS dropouts and they all said that it's not the physical part that made them quit, but the cold and lack of sleep which makes you feel absolutely miserable.
>>
>>35131030
>get them in shape

That's not the goal of BUD/S.
>>
>>35130994
It's not the best way to get you in shape. It does, however, make you less of a bitch
>>
>>35130994
The idea is that if you're applying for the Navy SEALs you should already be physically fit enough that a thousand push ups per day isn't overtraining
>>
>>35130994
Yes, most people that lift weights outside of the military, lose about 20lbs joining the military from muscle loss.
They also stop being faggots and are able to run without having a heart attack.
They realize the benefits of cardio.
Leave the military and lift+cardio.
>>
File: tmp_15156-usa-russia-1648317793.jpg (160 KB, 760x539) Image search: [Google]
tmp_15156-usa-russia-1648317793.jpg
160 KB, 760x539
>>35130994
>>
>>35131242
To add on to that, I talked to a SEAL who went to BUD/S with Bilzerian. He apparently was someone who everyone absolutely hated, and they all wanted him out. One day he fucked up somehow on the range and he got kicked out.
>>
>>35131176
>90% mental.

Heh, wrong again /fit.
If you pass basic, SERE, and can survive a deployment.
There is nothing in SF, SEAL, Ranger training that would mentally be hard.
Can you jog 50 miles (timed) with 180lbs on your back?
That's physical and genetics.

Both SF/SEALs require this.
Even if you physically can do the distance and weight, genetics come into play by your height effecting stride.
You have a high chance of missing the time.
The rest of the training is starvation/sleep deprivation while studying and doing field ops.
Nothing you wouldn't have done at Ft. Ben or Ft. Knox.

>source: I'm an Airborne Special Operator at Ft. Bragg 2nd Group.
>>
>>35131342
>source: I'm an Airborne Special Operator at Ft. Bragg 2nd Group.

Post proof. Otherwise, your opinion doesn't mean anymore than the other guys who posted here.
>>
>>35131342
There is no 2nd group
source google and family who are SF
>>
File: 2015-12-03_22-49-24.png (115 KB, 1671x740) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-03_22-49-24.png
115 KB, 1671x740
>>35131462
Forgot Pic
>>
>>35130994
As someone going into the Marine Corps I must say gains are not the true reason of training. It's more abput mental gains.
>>
>>35130994
It's to push the psychological limit under fatigue.
>>
>>35131342
>Can you jog 50 miles (timed) with 180lbs on your back?
Is this physically possible?
>>
>>35131337
Yet he has the audacity to be little bitch about it, special forces unlike the regular army doesn't have the obligation to put up with your shit just because you volunteered they have the right to fuck you off for just being a unlikable gay cunt, theyre such a small community and they dont want any feeders fucking up their chi. Even just regular recon platoons run by the same standards I can't fathom why so many plebs think they can just wonder on in to SF like its fucking owed to them when they're generally a shitty at basic grunt stuff
>>
Thats the point, the overtraining among other things crashes your testosterone and makes you more easily malleable.
>>
listened to a SEAL guy on a podcast, apparently they don't do that log shit in SEAL training

but they do lots of other crazy shit
>>
File: hippies.jpg (48 KB, 468x401) Image search: [Google]
hippies.jpg
48 KB, 468x401
>>35131462
b-but that's what they want the enemy to believe m8
>>
>>35131716
Did it in marine boot camp.
>>
>>35131716
>apparently they don't do that log shit in SEAL training
Since when? If not, it's something that they recently took out.
>>
the only people who worry about overtraining are dyel fat faggots who are afraid to put in any considerable amount of effort into their lifts, and then they wonder why they never see any gains
>>
>>35131799
he said they don't do shit like that in the SEALs they do it in earlier staged of the training, see >>35131777
>>
>>35131834
I'd link the podcast but I don't remember which one it was, the guest was Jocko Willink
>>
Well not once you're in the SEALs, no, but they do it during Indoc and Phase 1 (or whatever phase, or throughout most of the phases).
>>
>>35131462
>thinks SF is Special Operators
>doesn't even know what SpecOps is.

USASOC
United States Army Special Operations Command.
Housing, all of 75th ranger, SF, SpecOps, PublicAffair.
2nd-4th group are SpecOps.
I mean come on, this shit is easy.
9th Infantry St. Ft. Bragg, NC
>Psyops
10th Infantry st. Ft. Bragg, NC
>2nd group
Right down the road
>the sf compound
Right beside that
>Delta Force compound.

>>35131581
Considering I've had to march over 100 miles in one day yes.
The SF guys are no fucking joke dude.
All those dudes do is eat, train, workout, eat, eat, eat, eat.
All of them are skinny/fit/tall.
To pass SF training you must
>be the top of your physical performance
>be the top of your particular class
(they often only choose the top 2 of a 15 man class to continue into SF and become real Greens.)
Worst off
If you are all of the above, but
>you can't grow a beard
>you don't look like however the commanding trainer thinks SF should look like on a particularly day.
He can literally just kick you out.
You don't have to fail, you could be half an inch too short, you can be the perfect height, but a few inches not broad enough across the shoulder.
You're gone.

You're given the option to restart the entire training from day 1, there is a possibility that they may take you the 2nd time.
>>
>>35131888
>citation
>In the United States military, SOF includes Army Special Forces ("Green Berets"), Army Rangers, Navy SEALs, Navy SWCC, Air Force Pararescue, Marine Special Operations (MARSOC), select specially trained Military Intelligence/Counterintelligence units, Civil Affairs (active duty), Military Information Support Operations (MISO) (formerly Psychological Operations (PSYOP)) personnel, and Special Operations Aviation units under the umbrella of the United States Army Special Operations Command.

From the ft. bragg website.
>>
File: 1381513269717.jpg (16 KB, 200x303) Image search: [Google]
1381513269717.jpg
16 KB, 200x303
>>35131888
>Considering I've had to march over 100 miles in one day yes.
>>
File: 1448589322659.png (142 KB, 533x891) Image search: [Google]
1448589322659.png
142 KB, 533x891
>>35131932
You can be jelly you aren't /fit/.
>>
>>35130994
So much emphasis on overtraining these days.

Toughen up you neckbeard faggots
>>
>>35131342
>Can you jog 50 miles (timed) with 180lbs on your back?

Hahaha holy shit I guess every navy seal is an incarnation of superman.

Just to let you know dude that intense of a physical feat has probably never been accomplished by any human throughout all of history.
>>
Does prison boot camp count? I did a 6 month program. It's amazing what you'll put up with when your freedom is on the line and I lost 60lbs while I was there.
>>
>>35131888

Marching speed is like 4-5mph right. So you're saying you marched for 20-25 hours in one day?
>>
>>35131932
It's possible... let me fucking tell you it is not fun at all. My blisters popped. Then the skin on the top of my foot was just gone and was all raw (hint: I had crappy boots).

Essentially, I was hiking for at 20 hours or more. I wasn't even in the army, a bear ate my fucking food. Luckily I wasn't in mountains or some truly strenuous location. Managed to get to the highway and follow it to the next town.
>>
>>35131888
It was almost believable up until the end but yeah youre full of shit, seek help for your mental illness.
>>
>>35131277
>Lifting overhead (repeatedly, for hours)
>vs carrying on the shoulder
>>
>>35131888
You are literally full of shit.

You're like those pathetic worms who go out dressed as soldiers and when confronted say, "I can't talk about X, it's classified"
PS There is no 2nd group in the Army.
>SpecOps
It's Special Operations Forces and it's all inclusive. There is still no 2nd group.
>>
>>35131342
airbourne infantry kiddie thinking he is special in a shit tier base in NC.
TOP KEK
O
P
K
E
K
>>
>7/10
I remember I did a troll like this on /k/ once. was good
>>
>>35131993
>two day march through mountains in Afghanistan
>minimal breaks
>no sleep
We are talking about USASOC.
This isn't some national guard, mickey mouse club house shit.
Have you heard of the distance some of the Infantry groups covered in a weeks time?
A week, of marching, sleeping only every few days.

Does /fit/ not know about the military at all?
>https://www.quora.com/Which-training-is-considered-to-be-the-toughest-in-U-S-Army
>and a 40+ mile (64 km) ruck march with 50+ pounds of equipment.
Distance and weight are at the discretion of the trainers.
If a particular group is doing subpar, they will fail everyone.
If a particular group is doing alright, only the top will pass and continue on.
If a particular group are all stars and everyone is performing above standard, they will keep adding distance and weight until people start failing on purpose.

You guys act like this isn't on the internet for yourselves to look at.

You have casual civilians doing the Appalachian Trail, Walking the entire way and putting in 20 miles a day.
How hard is it to believe that the fittest of the fit are able to push through and go beyond he most basic of society standards.

Fucking walking.
>>
>>35132103
>doesn't know about second group
Might as well kill yourself faggot.
>>
Anyone know some info for air force pararescue men compared to seal/s? Some say it's harder but I doubt that.

Also how much combat do they actually see, or is it evacuating a guy whos been shot back to base?
>>
>>35132135
"It's not a lie if YOU believe it."
>>
>>35132135
Why would one torment themselves with such punishment?
>>
File: 1434769573729.jpg (184 KB, 1088x622) Image search: [Google]
1434769573729.jpg
184 KB, 1088x622
>>35132135
how long and how much did you prep before going SF ? also what bodywheight seems to be the upper limit in SF in terms of what you normaly see?
>>
>>35131277

Poor Scooby
>>
>>35131888
Yeah, the commanding trainer of an elite military force is going to kick someone who may otherwise be by far the best available because their shoulders are too narrow or they can't grow a beard, despite them excelling in their training. You're a fucking idiot.

Also, I think you're really over-estimating the difference a few inches in the shoulders is. 5 inches is the difference between Mr Olympia level shoulders, and pretty average.
>>
>>35130994
i always wonder this too

everybody is autistic as fuck about rest days and what not but soldiers dont seem to have a problem with it

whats the difference?
>>
>>35132135
50+ pounds and 40+ miles is not the same as 180lbs and 100 miles, are you fucking insane?

That's like saying that doing 135lbs for one rep on bench means you can easily do 5 reps of 225lbs.

Also
>inb4 I trolled you all haha you fell for my ruse
>>
>>35132461
They're not looking for optimal progression of weights, nor is what they're doing strength training.

It's comparing apples and oranges really.
>>
>>35131970
what is prison bootcamp? you need to do exercise to not go to jail? wtf america?
>>
>>35132479
would it benefit me to not rest and just go to the gym everyday?
>>
>>35132502
No. You are looking for optimal progression, and you'll ruin that by over-training if you aren't using roids. Just follow a respected routine, and trust that they know better than both of us do.
>>
>>35132584
do soldiers use roids?

im training for endurance, which is progression right?
>>
>>35132594
I'm sure some do, but mostly, no, because they aren't doing the same sort of training we are.

And if you're training for endurance, then yes, you still need to rest, because you can get injuries if you train too hard, but you're less likely to than you are with strength training.

Do you have a routine already?
>>
>>35131060

tell that to a marathoner who hits 'the wall'. The body gives out way before the mind can.
>>
>>35132078
>10 men with a log
>vs 1 old lady with a log.
>>
>>35130994
Most of the women who attempt to make it through ranger school end up with stress fractures
>>
>>35132819
Hello bro science.
>>
>>35131058
Yeah but even more people go the opposite.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.