[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A study published December 3 in Cell Metabolism reveals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 104152_web.jpg (55 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
104152_web.jpg
55 KB, 720x720
>A study published December 3 in Cell Metabolism reveals that a man's weight affects the heritable information contained in sperm

/fit/ BTFO. Proof that weight is genetic.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151204001008/http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-12/cp-sci112515.php
>>
*appetite and self-control are genetic

FTFY
>>
>>35129546
Same thing
>>
Wow you mean people have varying appetites and one person's "small meal" is another person's "lot of food"?
Gee Wizz tell us something we don't know.
Also
>Weight is genetic
You are a fat lardass who just wants to make excuses to be a pathetic lazy piece of shit garbage.
>>
>>35129579
Did you even read the article smart ass?

>inb4 hurr I don't need to
>>
>>35129524
>using a website called "eurekalert" as a viable source of information

my sides
>>
File: hansolo.jpg (50 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
hansolo.jpg
50 KB, 358x358
>The comparisons, which included 13 lean men and 10 obese men
>In the next phase of the study, the investigators tracked 6 men undergoing weight-loss surgery
These small researches are fucking joke.
>>
>>35129665
if the results are statistically significant, then it's still unlikely that this is just sampling error
>>
>>35129794
A sample size of six is a joke regardless
>>
>>35129524
So basically if I go on a massive cut and then maintain for the rest of my life, my children won't have an appetite as big as mine?
>>
Does being obese give you red sperm?
>>
>>35129825
only if the results are close enough that a sample size of 6 might mean a sampling error

example, let's say you have group A and group B

group A: 1, 2, 0, 1, 3, 0
group B: 183, 924, 640, 553, 496, 729

what are the chances that the results from group A and group B are just sampling error?
>>
>>35129825
What would be an adequate sample size?
>>
>>35129825
This. Want to know an infamous study that isn't taken seriously past psychology 101 that had this same flaw (along with a shit ton of others, which is why psychologists don't take it serious at all)?

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
>>
>"It's common knowledge that when a woman is pregnant she should take care of herself--not drink alcohol, stay away from pollutants, etc.--but if the implication of our study holds true, then recommendations should be directed towards men, too."
OP didn't read the article he posted. It even flat out implies that if a father is fat, his child is very likely to be the same way. This implies child abuse before the child is even born. So, if a fat guy impregnates a girl, the guy should be charged with child abuse.

Fatties BTFO.
>>
>>35129524
affects the heritable information how?
>>
>>35129849

n=6billion brah
>>
>>35129976
7 mil mils now senpai
>>
>>35129994
>7 mil mils
Nah man nah. 7B = 7KM = 4.35 miles
>>
File: agoutimice425.jpg (42 KB, 425x306) Image search: [Google]
agoutimice425.jpg
42 KB, 425x306
>>35129952
There are little markers like methyl groups that attach to the genetic info and affect if it is or isn't expressed in such and such a way. Look up epigenetics. Often environmental stressors, esp ones to do with nutrition for all natural reproduction, affect it.

As an example pic related is two genetically identical mice but not epigenetically identical
>>
>>35129994
mil millones-thousand millions hangover from spanish
>>
>>35129524

So, even more reason fat people shouldn't breed?
>>
>>35130042
>looking the same direction

Staged.
>>
>>35129894
>child abuse
Dawkins, is that you?
>>
>>35130084
Obesity is the one of the least dangerous things a religious man can pass onto his child
>>
>>35129524
Epigenetics involves the changing of genes over time due to environmental factors and behaviour. If weight is related to epigenetics that doesn't mean you're born to be fat. Literally means your lifestyle makes you fat. Fucking people quoting shit without understanding shit.
>>
>>35130095
*le epic hat maymay*
>>
>>35129524
That's just mean there is no hope for genetically inferior lardblobs and they should be sterilized.
>>
>>35130012
Cute :)
>>
If anything, you just shown why fat people should be even more discriminated against, idiot.
>>
>>35129524
Geneticsfag here, I don't buy this for a second. I'm reading the article right now and it basically says that environmental factors play an impact on epigenetic development in germ lines; this is nothing new and calling it "genetically based" is a stretch, since they admit environment impacts the epigenetic effect and that weight loss drops the chance of offspring being obese.

tl;dr - kids develop in the environment they're raised in.

>>35129794
The low p values just further emphasize that environment plays a role in methylation, something that is common knowledge to anyone who's taken a genetics course.

>>35129849
Assuming a power of 80% and and alpha = 0.05, you'd need n = 938
>>
>>35129524
PUBMED OR GTFO!
>>
>>35130334
dont you mean 80% confidence interval?
>>
>>35131772
> pubmed
> not nature or lancet
>>
>>35129847
I'd say very high those numbers are erratic
>>
oh. lifestyle affects methylation patterns? you don't fucking say.
>>
>>35131808
not really, you can see that they're all above 100, but below 1000

the low numbers are all below 10

if you had a study like that, you'd say that numbers A are definitely different from numbers B, even though the sample sizes were 6 in both cases
>>
>>35129835
That's what the study implies.
>>
>>35129524
Actually the current research shows it's largely EPIGENETIC.

In other words you can change your change. There's zero excuse to be fat. Having low bf% for a long time has epigenetic benefits in the same way that people who have always been low bf% has had.
>>
Excuses, excuses. Literally every single person in my family is obese, yet I'm on the lower end of healthy weight for my height. BMI 18 or something. It's not because I somehow have amazing genetics or incredible metabolism, I got to be like slightly overweight when I was 13. Instead of making excuses, I just asked myself wtf I was doing and started eating better and exercising. I'm glad I figured my shit out before I had a chance to really get fat and suffer any lifelong consequences of it.

The sooner you stop making excuses and just make a lifestyle change, the better. Everything about exercise and eating healthy feels better in the long run I promise. Oh, and anyone who tells you they can't lose weight are in denial about how many calories they actually consume, and anyone who tells you they have a super metabolism and can eat whatever they want is just fucking retarded. Dissect either diet and you'll find that the person is simply careless and eats too much/too little. Calories in, calories out, easy shit.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.