[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you drop the weight after you Deadlift?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: wide-grip-deadlift.jpg (14 KB, 400x340) Image search: [Google]
wide-grip-deadlift.jpg
14 KB, 400x340
Well /fit/, do you? Are the benefits worth the noise?
>>
>>35129463
I DL 2pl8, so no.
>>
>>35129463
>benefits

i don't know anon do you drop the dumbbell after a curl
>>
>>35129463
His form is shit, he probably doesn't actually deadlift more than 1pl8
>>
>>35129463
I sort of drop the weight with the bar still in my hands. I just let gravity do the work
>>
Working the concentric portion pretty much just puts you at higher risk of injury so I do a controlled drop.
>>
>>35129463
I do a controlled drop. That means I pretty much drop the weight but I keep my hands on the bar at all times.

Most of the injuries I've seen from people deadlifting are when they round their back lowering it
>>
>>35129463
deadlifts are fucking great and I love doing them high volume. its very important to carefully lower them down with a good steady grip rather than being a faggot and slamming them with a loud drop.
>>
>>35129637
>I insult anybody who doesn't do things exactly like I do because I'm a massive insecure douchebag
I'll laugh when you're in snapcity.
>>
File: 1448923958380.jpg (108 KB, 500x575) Image search: [Google]
1448923958380.jpg
108 KB, 500x575
>>35129663
Lowering the bar is half the excersice,
I bet you kip too and do fast 'explosive' reps
>>
>>35129714
Doing the concentric portion has practically no benefits and tons of risks.
How about you learn what the fuck you're talking about you idiot? You're the kind of person who gives off the "meathead" stereotype.
Daily reminder that you can have a good physique AND a good brain. Maybe it's too late for the guy I'm replying to but to everyone else go for it.
>>
>>35129463
How you supposed to diddlylift these hex plates? If the plats spin at all they aren't lined up then it gets all cattywompus when the plates touch the ground.
>>
File: 1449129678561.gif (699 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1449129678561.gif
699 KB, 500x281
>>35129767
>Practically no benefits

Top Kek, enjoy your gain goblin,

MFW new fags actually believe this
>>
>>35129840

Not the guy you are replying to but instead of risking an injury during the lowering of the bar at the cost of less volume you can just do more volume with the lowering part removed.

Olympic weightlifters typically do that.
>>
File: 1425860720351.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1425860720351.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>35129463
>dropping weights
uh-oh! It seems we have someone intimidating in our no-judgement zone!
>>
>>35129767
concentric phase is lifting the weight not lowering it
>>
>>35130131
Does judging people to be lunks make one a lunk? By that definition...
>>
>>35129767
I just want to back you and thank you because I seriously never knew their were benefits an anyone going heavy was just showing off or being a douche. I've always gotten really bad back pain from deadlifts when i got over 350 and now i finally know why

fuck that other guy
>>
>>35129463
Apparently you get decent muscle gains from just doing the concentric but I am unable to try it out anyway
>>
Yes, drop the weight. Deadlift is all about bringing the weight up, there are no benefits to holding on to the barbell on the way down, it can only lead to injuries. Also it sounds alpha as fuck when you're a big guy making big noises with a big barbell.
>>
>>35129463

I do not, I'm afraid of hitting my shins on the way down. , II carry it down slowly.
>>
File: 1448786880986.png (448 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1448786880986.png
448 KB, 900x900
>>35129840
mfw i see newfags call other people newfags
>>
>tfw always feel like I'm going to snap my shit up on the concentric part at even just lmao2pl8 so just let that shit drop fast to minimize risk
Why does the reverse gotta be so much more difficult to get right brehs
>>
I do a a controlled drop for everything over about 315 pounds. Otherwise I just TnG my lighter reps.

There's no reason to be making a shitload of noise dropping the weight. A controlled drop makes less noise and makes you look like you actually know what you are doing.
>>
No, If I can't put it down as easily as I lifted it then I shouldn't be lifting it in the first place.

Goddamn, no one in the real world does this shit when they lift heavy stuff. It's a death sentence in many cases.

And I swear to god if the people who've been talking about 1x5 lifting as being enough to build strength are weight droppers.
It's bitch nigga bullshit.
>>
Well while we're on the subject; I'm having trouble with my dead lift form. Every time I bend my knees to lower the bar they get in the way. Is there any way to lower the bar without bending your knees or back? At least until I can get the bar to my shins.
>>
>>35129463
>Do you drop the weight after you Deadlift?
nope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AObAU-EcYE
>2:15
>>
>>35132520
No bending your hips and knees is how you set up for the lift
>>
>>35132603
my mistake, 6:35
>>
guys srs question, are you supposed to be bending at your knees when the weight is coming down?
>>
>>35132691
Once the bar passes your knees, yes
>>
>>35130161
Yes, but gyms like that are full of the fat muh genetics people
>>
File: sad feels 2.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sad feels 2.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>35129485
same, working upto that 3 plate.

>not controlling the weight
>dropping it on your toe
>topkek
>>
>>35132771
>>35129485

>tfw can't go much higher than 2pl8 because my grip gives out

I just want to lift heavy, I can handle 275 easy, but my fucking forearms are gains goblins
>>
>>35132603
Oh, I love him. I wish he were my dad or brother or something, fuck

"That's for ostentatious, histrionic pussies."
>>
>>35132771
Wtf? How can you drop the weight on your toe from a deadlift?
>>
>>35129637
A guy in my gym drops his lmao1pl8 romanian deads after each set, super fucking annoying. What is the point? It is not like he goes to failure
>>
>>35132820
being a retard obv, ever done shoulder flies and gotten your dick skin caught between by letting them drop?

Thats true pain right there m8
>>
I stay in control of the weight all the time. So no. I don't drop the weights like an attention seeking idiot.
>>
>>35130242
>Also it sounds alpha as fuck when you're a big guy making big noises with a big barbell.
No it doesn't, it makes you look and sound like an annoying prick.
>>
>>35129463
1 rep max? Yes. Anything else? No
>>
>>35132790
thumblock, practice it
you can easily add 75kg to your deadlift and still hold the grip when u manage the thumblock, first it'll hurt but after a while it won't feel like anything.
>>
>>35133290

Hook grip?
>>
Controlled drop on the working weight.
Control it all the way on light warm-up sets.
>>
Today there was a pt doing single rep push presses, and stepping forward as soon as the bar cleared his head. Basically just bouncing 1.25pl8 with the push, then letting it fall all 5'5 to the floor....uncontrolled, for literally no reason. He kept laughing and smiling every time the weight took a weird bounce and almost hit someone/something.

>too hard to greentext on phone
>>
>>35129463
The people who drop their weights after a deadlift are pussies - Mark Rippetoe.

You tell me.
>>
I drop my 6 plate deadlift every time. It's hard to pick it up and lowering it is even harder
>>
>>35133493
>An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds - Mark Rippetoe
>Milk=steroids - Mark Rippetoe
>Low bar squats=steroids Mark Rippetoe
>>
>>35129463
If you can't put it back you don't deserve to lift it

Unless you're doing a new one rep max Anything more and you're ego lifting
>>
>>35129463
No you stupid faggot stop being so ostentatious.
>>
>>35132790
Just do mixed grip while adding in farmers carry to your routine
>>
hope this entire thead is b8 because you never drop the fucking weight on the diddly

that would skip half the exercise

>muh injuries when putting it down

are you guys really this new?
>>
I don't get too many stares doing overhead deadlift but its a crossfit gym, we're used to the iron.
>>
File: 670px-Bait-a-Worm-Step-2.jpg (54 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
670px-Bait-a-Worm-Step-2.jpg
54 KB, 670x503
>>35134249
>>
>>35132820
>what is sumo deadlift
>>
>>35134302
>not wearing steel toed Chuck Taylor's for lifting
>>
File: goob.png (11 KB, 64x116) Image search: [Google]
goob.png
11 KB, 64x116
if you have to drop it then you're using too much weight
>>
>>35134364
Most retards think the guy quickly lowering his deadlift is "dropping it". Is that you bro?
Do you and your faghags get annoyed by the loud scary noises when you're doing cardio tantric yoga in between the power rack, oly platform, weight rack, and fire escape?
>>
>>35129463
Even your savior Mark Rippletits says if you drop the weight you're a pussy and only doing half of the lift. Enjoy your nogains, droppers
>>
>>35132790
happened to me when i got around 375x5. start doing some direct forearm and things that require holding heavy weights like:

dead hangs for time
wrist curls
hammer curls
heavy DB/BB rows
heavy DB shrugs

this fixed my problem within 4 weeks minimum and i haven't had trouble since, even at 4pl8x5. keep it up anon and good luck
>>
>>35134393
Depends on the definition of dropping. Letting go of the bar is certainly inappropriate, but the negative shouldn't be slow. He also has this to say on the topic.
>Setting the bar down fast in the deadlift is actually okay. Since the deadlift starts as a concentric movement, much of its training effect is due to the hard initial position and the lack of help from a stretch reflex during the lift, as discussed above. Setting the bar down slowly will make it harder, and some people might benefit from the extra work, but the emphasis in the deadlift is on picking up heavy weights. As the weight increases and the lift gets difficult, upward bar speed will decrease. Setting the bar down slowly uses up too much gas that could be better used in picking up your next rep. As long as some modicum of control is exercised, the bar can be dropped as fast as you are capable of doing safely with your back in good position according to our previous analysis. Going down fast with poor control is, of course, hard on your kneecaps and shins. And depending on the type of plates being used and the nature of the platform surface, a poorly controlled bounce can cause problems. But in general a deadlift can, and usually should, go down faster than it comes up.
>>
>>35134302
lmao using cheat lift
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.