[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it better to cut until below 12% bf or try and increase lifts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: DYELFUCK.jpg (26 KB, 218x497) Image search: [Google]
DYELFUCK.jpg
26 KB, 218x497
Is it better to cut until below 12% bf or try and increase lifts despite being a fatty?

I lost 15kg in the last year but still look awful because I have no muscle, But I can't build muscle when in caloric deficit.

Should I keep cutting or try to improve lifts? pls halp

Also what is my fat%

pic related is me
>>
>>35126842
dude, you stop bulking when you get to 15% bodyfat

you are like 23% at least
>>
>But I can't build muscle when in caloric deficit
Starter gains
>>
>>35126842
>But I can't build muscle when in caloric deficit.
no... you can't build muscle when in a catabolic state.

you have to be in an anabolic state.

because everyone on /fit/ is a broscientist they think you are in a catabolic state 100% of the time when you eat yourself in a caloric deficit.

which is absolutely not true, and indicative of a lack of understanding nitrogen balance (and physiology in general)
>>
>>35127616
>because everyone on /fit/ is a broscientist they think you are in a catabolic state 100% of the time when you eat yourself in a caloric deficit.

for example, if you fast for 8 waking hours before eating, you will be in a catabolic state. if you then eat 1,800 calories in a short window of time, then go to sleep, you will obviously be in an anabolic state.

that is just an extreme example, but the point is nobody really stays in a catabolic state 24/7 (same goes for anabolic states)

here is some counter-broscience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3AG-oCXTE
>>
>>35127584
Wrong, you stop bulking when you get to 25%. If you stop at 15% you'll be yo-yoing between cutting and bulking every 2 months and get nothing done
>>
>>35127629
How the fuck do you get like 10% bf in two months you retard? Also you can get plenty done in 2 months unless youre absolutely retarded.
>>
File: progress collage.jpg (377 KB, 1174x1027) Image search: [Google]
progress collage.jpg
377 KB, 1174x1027
>>35126842
I looked like you OP when I started at like 145 after losing 10 pounds from just running and doing a 500 deficit. A gym opened up close by and I kept cutting while doing keto + low sodium, helped my newbie gains appear bigger. Now I'm just lean bulking to gain ~1 pound of muscle per month, I'm in no rush. I'd rather add 12 pounds of muscle by this time next year then bulk 24 and cut 12, because cutting fucking sucks.

Also it's pretty important no matter what to get anywhere from .8 to 1.5 g per lb of protein.
>>
>>35126842
cut, fat noobs can build muscle at a caloric deficit.

You should cut and lift.

BF is like 25ish
>>
>>35126842

you're probably high 20s. I just used calipers to get my bf and im 23% but quite a bit thinner than you
>>
>>35127624
>>35127629
I wish more people understood this. Intermittent fasting with one huge meal straight after training and one small meal later in the day is GOAT for cutting and making some gains.
>>
>>35127770
[citation needed]
>>
>>35127690
>eating above 0.85 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight
for what purpose? Carbs and fat are necessary for satiety and regular hormone function. The calories you are literally wasting on excess protein could be put to better use.
>>
at what % does ab fat go away while sitting?
>>
>>35127785
the experience of having cut down from fatass mode. My gains stalled like crazy and my lifts were stationary for months. Started doing IF and the gains started up again.

Also it's common sense you god damn retard. And next time ask the anon posting the information and not the one agreeing with him for sources.
>>
>>35127808
5%
>>
>>35127690
Even if we were to aim at the bare minimum for my bodyweight which is 148g, how am I supposed to get that while still eating ~1500 kcal a day some of which has to include carbs? Multiple protein shakes or what ?
>>
>>35127844

im pretty good while standing it's just I want to be cut while sitting down too

it sucks having a tiny pouch of fat
>>
>>35127856
you eat less protein. Anywhere around 0.7 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is fine
>>
>>35127877
[citation needed]
>>
>>35126842

just eat a lot of clean food and hit the gym hard 5-6 times a week. You will gain muscle and lose fat at the same time
>>
>>35127910
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

a well cited article on the subject.
>>
>>35127629
>wrong, you stop bulking when you get to morbid obesity
no nigger.
you cut down to 7-10% (depending on how srs you are), and bulk back up to 15%

5-8% is more than sufficient bodyfat gains for a bulk...
>>
>>35127629

bulking to obese levels of bodyfat for a natty is stupid
>>
>>35127690
>Also it's pretty important no matter what to get anywhere from .8 to 1.5 g per lb of protein.

wrong.

you only need .64g-.82g protein
probably even less than that.
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
>There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle once you’re past the novice level as a natural trainee. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64 g/lb.

you probably need .55g/lb
>>
>>35127983
>>35127941
my niggers. Read this a while back and dropped my protein about 40 to 50 grams from 170 to 130ish and replaced them with carbs. Gains stayed the same but I felt better almost immediately. 1g per pound is a myth.
>>
>>35127856
that is only 592calories of protein.
also remember there will be protein in your other food, so say you eat 550 calories of protein
that is like two small portions of meat...

leaving you 950 kcal for fats and carbs

tbqh though, you don't even need that much protein

if you are 185lb, eat 130g protein, 60g fat, and the rest from carbs (a little over 100g)

make sure you get enough fiver for your protein intake.

psyllium husk is a godsend for fiber supplementation
>>
>>35127983

Still, so far I've been taking in like.. 70g/day

No wonder I haven't been making any noobie gains

Btw is it better to fast until the afternoon and then eat+workout+eat or is it all completely irrelevant in terms of making calorie deficit gains ?
>>
>>35127785
i cite the entire works of greg o'gallagher, and the concept of nitrogen balance
>>
>>35128045
>Btw is it better to fast until the afternoon and then eat+workout+eat

that is my preferred method, and i recommend you seek out kinobody's videos on youtube for more advice, but yea.

the fasting is super good for a plethora of reasons, but for fat loss it is good because it elevates your grehlin levels, which prevents over-eating and makes dieting easier.

and the eating window allows you to enter an anabolic state even on a deficit.

so i consider it optimal
>>
>>35127941
good source, thanks man
>>
>>35128012
>but I felt better almost immediately
fats and carbs are super important for maintaining test levels.

too much protein can actually lead to muscle loss (this mostly becomes a problem at super low body-fat, where the body is deprived of SFAs and endogenous glucose, as it has no significant amount of stored energy to make glucose from)
>>
>>35127983
Oh nice, it's always better to overshoot though. I just shot for .8 and rarely went above 1, but 1- 1.5 has been parroted around here for bulking so I just followed that rule. Thanks for the study.

>>35127803
Yeah they are generally I would try to hit my protein requirements and having leafy greens + some fats like olive oils or whole eggs.

>>35127856
Scratch what I said about the diet OP, get .5-.8 g per lbm from fish, poultry, or lean beef (which seems a lot more feesible) and fill the rest with fruits, veggies, whole grains, and healthy fats like eggs, oils, and avocado.
>>
>>35128168
>it's always better to overshoot though
.8g/lb is already overshooting, by quite a wide margin
>>
>>35128168
>.5-.8 g per lbm
i am pretty sure the studies were by bodyweight, not lean body mass.
>>
File: image.jpg (595 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
595 KB, 2048x2048
I been cutting 8 months
Lifting for like 5 week
Started at 295
Now 209
6,2 by the way
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.