[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one heal up from a bulging disc, /fit/ ? I wanted too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 1440196638358.jpg (116 KB, 1049x943) Image search: [Google]
1440196638358.jpg
116 KB, 1049x943
How does one heal up from a bulging disc, /fit/ ? I wanted too much too fast and ended up hurting myself a month and a half ago. Tried to max deadlifts up to twice / thrice a week like a fucking retard, then one day while squatting I get some very bad lower back pain and realize something is wrong. Fast forward to 1 week later I begin experiencing very annoying sciatica and I stop lifting. I'm relatively fine now, I barely feel sciatica but I'm afraid I'll make the problem worse if I start lifting again.

I'm 174cm and 95kg of fat.
I know you're all gonna call me a retard for trying to max on deadlifts 3 times a week on a shit diet and shit sleeping habits, but bear in mind I was in a very shitty phase of my life (gf of 2 years left me, dad died of cancer, and destroying myself in the gym helped relieve the psychological pain).

tl;dr do slight disc injuries heal? will I ever be back to lifting (relatively) big again? I had a 190kg deadlift, 140kg squat, and 100kg bench.
>>
>>35123931
all you can do really is to make your lower back strong to make sure it holds your spine straight

at this point you should try hiking long distances
>>
>>35123931

I'd go to a chiro and get evaluated. If you've got a sports med doctor maybe, but I'd avoid a regular physician.

If you want to kill yourself at the gym don't do it with squats or deadlifts. Do it with cardio and body weight shit like pushups.
>>
>>35123931
P R E D N I S O N E
>>
>>35123931
Are you me?
Well, I hurt my back like you because I was a greedy fuck. Same as you deadlift.
To my luck my disks are completly normal. Just a temporary flat back syndrome because of lumbar lordosis that the pain caused.
Do you have an mri showing your lumbar?
>>
File: suicide_feel.jpg (51 KB, 600x630) Image search: [Google]
suicide_feel.jpg
51 KB, 600x630
>>35123931
I hope you're ditting down anon, but its over. No more squats or deads. Been dealing with a "minor" l5 disc herniation for a year now. I pretty much only do machines and when i try to do legs I'm in terrible pain for the next 3 days. They want to do surgery but horrified of the idea. Just take it easy maybe you'll get lucky and it'll heal...maybe

>mfw
>>
>>35124032
Nope, I don't. I kind of tried to self diagnose online based on my symptoms (sciatica pain from hip to the calf) and at least from that it looks like my s4 disc is bulged.

Also,
>chiros
>I'd avoid a regular physician
That's literally like people telling me to go to a homeopath instead of a regular doctor. Fuck off.

I just want to hear first-hand experiences from people who had the same injury as I did.

Excuse me for the poor english - It's not my first language.
>>
>>35124099
What? Self diagnose?
Are you serious?
Come on bro.
I was thinking the same like you before I had an mri.
I had the same pain you described.and oh boy that pain was baaad really bad. So I tought I have a disk problem.
But guess what?
I went to a doctor and have an mri. My disks were perfect. Just a muscle spasm that caused the same pain as a bulged disk. So stop self diagnosing yourself with symptooms on the internet. Jesus that symptoms on the internet will make you believe you have a cancer when you just have an ordinary flu.
Go to a norologyst with an mri.
Get an proffesional oppinion.
>>
>>35124220
You had sciatica? I don't see how I could have gotten sciatica from anything other than a disc bulge.
>>
>>35124099
Forgot to add.
Do some exercises to loosen the psoa muscle. And do some foam rollings to your glutes, it will ease the pain. If you dont have a foam roller buy a tennis ball, its cheap.
Do some streching exercises after you warm up. Always Keep your lower back warm when u go out or at home. A hot shower may help. Dont be upset or stressed. Stress may increase the pain.
You will have to stop going to gym for 3 months(like me) but thats ok.
Make sure you are A OK before hitting the gym. So rest now. Do some exercises and go to a doctor especially a neurologst.
>>
>>35124296
Yeah. There are more reasons to sciatica. Go check lumbar lordosis or flat back.
They both cause the same pain.
In my case the day after I had my PR at deadlift. I started to feel the same symptoms as you told before. And I was almost sure I had a disk problem. But turnsout I didnt. Well it took 3 months and lost of exercises to heal but here I am. Doing deadlifts as before but not like a greedy fuck who wants things fast.
Now I have 2 more mri reports that showing I am perfectly normal.
So dont jump to conclusions.
Go get an mri
>>
>>35124424
I just checked. I can't find anything talking about sciatica caused by the loss of lombar lordosis. Thanks for the advice anyways, I guess I'm gonna get a mri and post the update when it's done.
>>
>>35124502
I may worded it wrong, cause english is not my native language so appologies. My loss of lumbar lordosis was the result of my scatica. The pain and the hard spasms thightened some muscles down there which resulted those muscles pulling the spine and causing my injury. After making that clear;
searching symptoms on the internet won't help you.First of all, There are other pains that can be mistaken for sciatica.
But if you are somehow sure that you have it, there are also other reasons for that happening besides bulging disks.
A quick google search shows piriformis syndrome (which happened to me) and also sacroliac joint dysfuntion.
I am not saying these are the reasons for your scatica. I am just saying you cant be sure before having a mri. I have already been through that and I know the feel, you just start to believe the worst happened. So just dont be upset before you have facts on your hand. And just dont be upset generally.
If you do have a bulging disk its npt the end of the world. I have a gym bro who has 2 bulging discs and he is training with free wieghts. But Keep in mind he is more careful with the movements and he may not lift very heavy but he is relativly a big guy(for you). So either you have a bulging disk or not. For now focus on the exercises I told you before. Keep your lower back warm for at least two months.Get a good massage to loosen those muscles around the sciatica nerves. You can always do self maasagings with a foam roller. Those are all my neurologysts advices.
Just make sure to get a mri report. Hope you dont have a bulging disc, good luck.
The funny thing is your e stats are just like mine before the injury, thats why I asked you are you me? Lol
178cm 81kg here
>>
File: 1445150136644.png (91 KB, 240x255) Image search: [Google]
1445150136644.png
91 KB, 240x255
>>35124073
same here bro
>>
https://www.instagram.com/p/9OkgnTSaJ9/
>>
>>35124073
Wrong.

>>35123931
You can make it. I've had a herniated disc for 5 years. PT told me to only ever do bodyweight exercises ever again. I found this unacceptable. Looked into some other stuff.

For immediate pain relief, look up a system called Foundation Training and a stretch called the "founder." This will relieve your pain and sciatica and make you feel better immediately and moreso over the course of days.

Hamstrings. Hamstrings. Hamstrings. My herniated disc was a result of, and continued to get worse because of TIGHT HAMMIES. I couldn't deadlift or squat with proper form. If you experience almost any buttwink at all while squatting while bearing a huge load on your spine, RIP your back. This happened to me. Thought my pain was better, was doing fine. Squat down, snap city again.

I've been doing intense mobility training and stretching MOSTLY my hamstrings. I'm finally able to dead and squat with proper form.

You can lift heavy again, just take care to make sure your body can move well first.
>>
>>35125569
Thank you. I'll be looking for harmstring stretching exercises now, gotta admit I'm as flexible as a oak and being on the verge of obesity doesn't help either.
>>
>>35125654
>I'm as flexible as a oak

9/10 times people who lift with bad form are this way and it's why they get injured. I am this way. Desk jockey for over a decade. It takes a lot of stretching to counteract sitting 50+ hours a week.

It is the most overlooked thing when it comes to lifting and it's almost never addressed by the people who create these starting programs. Rippletits and Medhi for instance will never talk about stretching.
>>
>Falling for the squat and deadlift troll.

Boohoo want some sympathy crybaby? What we see here is darwinism in action, a dumbass chooses to do an extremely high risk exercise with no additional reward and gets injured like a moron. Meanwhile all the "pussies" at the gym who doesen't bother with those autistic exercises are 2x your size and continue to make gains while you sit crippled at home and all your gains are withering away.
>>
>>35125569

Hamstrings flexibility don't affect squats whatsoever you dickhead. And now after 5 years of rehab you jump right back into what fucked you up in the first place, and for what? You'll be in a wheelchair in no time, guaranteed. Your dumbass is about to get removed from the gene pool soon son.
>>
>>35123931
say hello to the machines, mother fucker. no more squats and deads for you. at least not for a while.

i got rid of my sciatica after going to a physical therapist for a while, went back to squatting, fucking sciatica comes back. Granted, my form probably isn't good enough and I probably have an underlying muscular imbalance, but if I ever squat again it'll be front squatting or split squats.
>>
>>35125569
and this is why you shouldnt take /fit/ advice seriously
>>
>>35124073
have you been to a PT?
>>
>>35126155
>Hamstrings flexibility don't affect squats whatsoever you dickhead
Not him but you might want to check yourself, your stupidity is showing.
>>
>>35125569
seconding the founder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKH_JVlTGDQ
>>
>>35123931
I got scatiatic pain from pulling with a rounded back squat-morning heavy weights. Went away after two weeks, haven't deadlifted since but I squat much more without pain now. Do a bodyweight squat - can you feel the tightness where your hamstrings connect to your?
>>
>>35126285

The hamstrings aren't stretched at all during a squat you dickhead. Care to explain how hamstring flexibility affects squats? Feel free, come with your broscience explanation.
>>
>>35126336
When I squat, I reach a point where I cant go any lower and feel the stretch in my upper hamstrings. I stretched them nightly and this fixed my problem. You and Candito can't tell me shit
>>
>>35126336
I used to come on here and say the same stupid shit. Look, get in the bottom of your squat and try sticking your ass out (i.e. flatten your back). Do this in front of a mirror, unweighted, holding onto something if need be to keep balance.

If you can get atg and flatten your back without feeling anything in your hamstrings at all then congrats, you don't have tight hamstrings but don't pretend to understand how it is for someone who does.

In my case I assumed my hamstrings were fine because I could easily palm the ground with my legs straight... But this reach was a function of great lower back flexibility. When I finally figured out how to properly hinge at the hips I realized how to tight my hamstrings are.

Squat position in the hole (esp. low bar) is quite similar to deadlift starting position. The hips are just higher. If you can't comprehend this then I'm sorry your mother dropped you as a child.
>>
>>35123931
>tfw you are me

same thing happened to me about 8 weeks ago, couldnt stand up the day after and needed a fucking ambulance to get me out of my bed and be assessed

im in the same boat as >>35124073 for the time being

im doing push pull ultimate bro edition with isolations and dumbbells everywhere and running for leg day

some days I feel confident enough to go back to deads and squats, tried it once and seriously regretted it
>>
>>35126421
>>35126552
In a normal squat (not the autistic version), where you keep your torso completely upright, there is no stretch whatsoever on the hamstrings. The only thing people usually lack is dorsiflexion.

The hamstrings aren't stretched whatsoever unless you do a low bar squat and just sit back and don't bend your ankels whatsoever. And if you do this type of squat in the first place you are a dumbass and should enjoy your spine while it's still working.
>>
>>35126612
I don't have nearly enough ankle mobility to do what you just described. I think my leg proportions might be different.
>>
>>35126672

Most people don't, because squats are meant for people with manlet femurs.
>>
>>35126612
> what is reading comprehension

I squat high bar, bitch. Just go suck candytoes dick. You're beyond reason.
https://youtu.be/NNYRJNDM48I
>>
>>35126724

You're the one who got injured, so keep doing what you are doing man. Enjoy the wheelchair gains.
>>
>>35126781
> assuming my back is screwed.
Nope.
I did pull a hip flexor doing Bulgarian split squats though.

I'm lanky, I think proper squat form is much easier to achieve for the "thumb" type body builds with the long torso and short legs.
>>
File: 1416019834434.png (44 KB, 426x483) Image search: [Google]
1416019834434.png
44 KB, 426x483
>>35123931
>tfw I deadlift light with more reps
>tfw people are actually getting hurt because of memes
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.