[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much protein does /fit/ eat? I'm 84 kg/185 lbs and averaged
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: protein.jpg (4 MB, 3237x1753) Image search: [Google]
protein.jpg
4 MB, 3237x1753
How much protein does /fit/ eat? I'm 84 kg/185 lbs and averaged 190g daily this week. Is that the right amount?
>>
Also does the type of protein matter? This was mostly milk, eggs, tuna, sardines, (farmed) salmon, chicken, as I am a poorfag.
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>35123576
yes
/thread
>>
cancer general? what are your cancer goals for 2016?
>>
>>35123590
poorfag=healthy fag
being able to afford hohos and dumdums is what fucks you up familial relation
>>
Most of your meta studies about protein are gonna say that there's no real good consensus on how much protein you need. So many factors are involved: job, sports, age, genetics, gym goals, etc.... the important thing to ask is if you're closer to your goals this month than you were last month.
>>
I'm 130 lb and I eat around 190 g of protein everyday. I thought 1.5g/lb was the goal for bulking?
>>
>>35123960
1g per kg is all that's really needed for muscle growth.
>>
>>35123978
1.6g - 1.8g / kg actually.
>>
>>35123960
Im getting bigger and stronger on 130g at 170lbs, I think the 1g per lbs is just to ensure your getting enought
>>
>>35123978
Have you tested this by yourself? 1g per kg doesn't seem too much compared to what is generally recommended.
>>
It's hard for me to stay under 300g. All I eat is chicken breast and catfish, with a cup or two of green beans on the side.
>>
1 gram per pound of body weight is sufficient depending on desired macro balance. On a cut maybe a bit more depending on calorie expenditure/training volume.

But only about 20 grams per hour (because absorption rate limit). Which is like a chicken breast or burger patty once and hour from 6am to 12pm.

I was taking less but after learning about the absorption limit I had to step it up. A lot of protein gets wasted if you just eat normal meals.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 570x238) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 570x238
>>35123576

>raw meat next to prepared product

ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL SOMEONE YOU FUCKING MORON!?
>>
>>35124046
Hey if you waste protein do you pee it?
>>
>>35123576
I get 70 grams on average
I'm not even fucking vegan, this is bullshit
>>
>>35124011

1g/kg seems reasonable to me. Your muscles are mostly water (60-80%). Catabolism is an expensive process and energy(e.g. carbs) is going to be more of an issue than actual building materials.

Also consider that your gut doesn't have infinite capability to absorb nutrients. I've seen numbers ranging from 160-240g a day. And that is assuming full utilization. More likely you'll break down like 20% of your absorbed protein and piss it out.
>>
>>35124120
This is the truth.
you should only eat like 180g+ if you're on roids.
>>
>>35124072
Probably. The issue with protein utilization is that it doesn't really stick around. Especially with men, our blood serum levels of uric acid are almost at the saturation point. We dump nitrogenous waste constantly.
>>
>>35124072
Poop, you retard
>>
>>35124166
I assumed he meant protein that was already absorbed. But yeah you shit out most of your nutrients. Fun fact experiments with dogs have shown that their is more than enough nutrition in shit to sustain life.
>>
If you eat more protein that your body needs for muscle growth and enzyme/other body protein building materials, then it will be changed into fat and stored in adipose tissue.

Here's a longer explanation of that biochemical pathway: the excess protein is broken down into animo acids in your GI system, they enter your cells, and are converted into Acetyl CoA. If you had needed the energy, they would be further used in the Citric Acid cycle to make NADH and FADH2 that would then be used to make ATP in the electron transport chain, but since your cells are not receiving the signals for more energy needed, they go a different route. The Acetyl CoA gets converted into Malonyl CoA, then to Palmitate, and then on to triglycerides (fat) that will be stored in adipocytes (fat storage cells). Your body has the ability to go from triglycerides (fats) to amino acids (proteins) to glucose (carbs) pretty easily, with the exception of essential fats and animo acids (essential meaning that we cannot synthesize them and therefore need to get them in our diet).
>>
>>35124204

So basically, if you eat more protein and less carbs you will use the excess protein for energy.

So I should up my protein intake and lower carbs and fats, right?
>>
>>35124191
I asked because when I was with an hyperproteic diet sometimes I had foamy urine, but when I stopped eating so much protein my urine went back to normal.
>>
>>35124244
No idea mate. Ask a Dr. I'm a first year, which means I don't know shit.
>>
>>35124233

yes
>>
>>35123590
Composition-wise pork and beef are the best sources of protein, but I doubt it makes a big difference. The only thing to watch out for are vegetables as a source of protein. Those have very different compositions than what is optimal for humans.

>>35124120
I absolutely agree. It may sound like conspiracy bullshit, but I believe the whole "1g/lbs" scam originates from protein powder manufacturers who want to sell their shit. You see these kind of strategies everywhere, i.e. an ad for shampoo where someone is shown putting like three times the amount shampoo that's needed in his hand. People will think that this is apparently how it's done correctly. You wouldn't think people are this stupid, but they generally are.
>>
>>35124256
I have checked the ultimate doctor (internet) and it's called proteinuria, but I've had blood test recently and they were normal, so I assume that was only the diet that affected me.
>>
>>35124275
Always be careful with the internet. Dr. google never attended medical school. There is way more nuance to this shit than you can ever catalog in a database.
>>
>>35124265

Thanks. Is there an issue with not getting enough creatine & carnitine with protein sources mainly being eggs, dairy, fish, & vegetables?
>>
>>35123891
Hohos and dumdums are cheap as fuck on a calorie to price ratio, what the fuck are you on about?

$1.50 for a bunch of collared greens: maybe 90 calories
$.50 for two Ho-Hos: 250 calories
>>
>>35123978
>>35123993
1.2-2.2 g per kg actually, if not more. There's little scientific consensus, but the safe bet is more is better. At worst it just turns to glucose if you eat more than strictly needed.
>>
>>35124265
>originates from protein powder manufacturers
>Journal of Applied Physiology says the same thing

Who is lying I wonder?

Also: Vegan man please go.
>>
>>35124046
>But only about 20 grams per hour (because absorption rate limit).

STOP SPREADING THIS FALSE FUCKING BROSCIENCE YOU FUCKING SCIENTIFICALLY ILLITERATE MORONS REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>35123576
Probably more then you need. You need 1g 1.5g per kilo of your bodyweight.
>>
>>35124310
Creatine and carnitine might help, but not having them won't kill you.
>>
>>35124204
Fat stores reduced carbon energy not nitrogen. Anything that can't be scavenged from the side chain or turned into a nucleotide is going to be pissed out.
>>
>>35124299
Yeah I understand, ty for the advice. But I checked with a real doctor months before I started with the diet and my levels of protein in my urine were normal.
>>
>>35124233
Be careful with lowering your fats. There is no such thing as an essential carb, but there are essential fats and proteins that you need in your diet. For example, you can't synthesize some omega-6 fatty acids, so you need them in your diet for proper hormone synthesis. Personally, I try to lower my carbs because fats/proteins make me fuller, it's easier to stay under my calorie limit while getting enough protein to slow muscle loss, and I just like the taste of high-protein/high-fat foods better.
>>
>>35124369
That is correct, however proteins are composed of amino acids, which are carbon source + nitrogen. Your body will breakdown amino acids for storage if you are going over your energy needs with excess protein. This breakdown will chop off the nitrogen bit (leaves the body as urea), and change the carbon bit into Acetyl CoA. Then it will follow the pathway that I wrote in the previous comment, ending up as a stored triglyceride (aka fat).
>>
at least 220g a day, often 250g

i like protein and train harder than 90% of you fags though so i'd expect surprise
>>
>>35124443
I don't really get what you are trying to say. If you are eating too much, how does it matter if it's protein / fat or carbs. You're still going to build fat.
>>
>>35124460
I was going to let you know that you're wasting money and slowly overloading your kidneys.

But you were a dick so now I'm not.
>>
>>35124493
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Excess protein becomes stored fat.
>>
>>35124516
But excess fat or excess carbs will also be stored as fat.
>>
>>35124516
Excess of any macro nutrient can end up as fat
>>
>>35124528
... yes? OP was specifically asking about eating a lot of protein. Obviously eating excess anything turns into stored fat. I've heard nutrition myths that eating extra protein just means that it gets peed out, I wanted to talk specifically about how excess protein becomes fat.
>>
>>35123576
Depends where your protein comes from
>>
6'0 155lbs, 80-110 protons daily
>>
>>35124494
>slowly overloading your kidneys

Compete vegan lies.
>>
>>35124046
>But only about 20 grams per hour
kek
>>
>>35124414

Show me a realistic diet that manages to be deficient in essential fats
>>
>>35124072
No, its metabolized and stored
>>
>>35125994
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23067428
>Individuals aiming to maximize NB would likely benefit from repeated ingestion of moderate amounts of protein (~20g) at regular intervals (~3h) throughout the day.

Not exactly what that other guy said but still interesting
>>
File: jaycutler2.jpg (558 KB, 600x720) Image search: [Google]
jaycutler2.jpg
558 KB, 600x720
>>35123576

>take diet and exercise class at uni
>"have to" track everything we eat for a weak and have an application analyze it
>whole class is pissed
>how are we supposed to measure exact amounts of food!?
>mfw I have months of data sitting around already
>put info into the app
>no vitamin deficiencies
>fitness measurements fantastic
>BMI "overweight" yet 12% bf, aka I'm a big guy
>comes up with one issue in my diet
>"You consume 160 g protein per day which is 74 g over the recommended 1g/kg"
>mfw
>>
>>35123576
below 100g you really dont need that much
>>
>>35126100
That's not at all what the other guy was saying.
>>
>>35126646
He said it's better to eat low protein (20g) in a constant time (every hour) instead of like dumping 80g protein in one meal.
The study says that a low protein (20g) in a constant time (3h) is better than 40g every 6 hour.

So either way you are retarded or your understanding of "not at all" does not match the general consensus.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.