[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gym Etiquette - Chat/Talkin Whats /fit/'s opinion? I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13
File: 1307236400602.jpg (42 KB, 434x308) Image search: [Google]
1307236400602.jpg
42 KB, 434x308
Gym Etiquette - Chat/Talkin

Whats /fit/'s opinion?

I was always under the assumption that, unless you had something worthwhile to say, keep your mouth shut and do your work, let other people do theirs (this goes 100 fold for interaction with women).

Then today someone implied to me that, because I never talk to people, I'm an antisocial dick. I've been going to the same gym for years now and I always see the same people but I never chat, I don't have gymbros so I just have headphones on 24/7.

So what the fuck? If I make random stupid conversation, I'm a dick, and if I don't, I'm also a dick?

>tfw I'm always wrong
>>
File: 1448286388939.jpg (124 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1448286388939.jpg
124 KB, 612x612
>>
Most regulars talk to each other at my gym. It's kind of annoying to have to make rounds and fistbump everyone but w/e, only takes a few sec
>>
File: 0530402915.jpg (250 KB, 500x594) Image search: [Google]
0530402915.jpg
250 KB, 500x594
>>
I talk to people all the time, mostly about lifting related stuff. I like it, and honestly, nobody outside the gym gives a fuck about form, routine, your diet or whatever, but the people you meet in the gym usually do. I've learned a lot by listening to other people and what worked for them, get tips to improve my form etc. Plus the people I meet in the gym tend to be really nice people.
>>
File: 1440384625576.gif (613 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
1440384625576.gif
613 KB, 295x221
>tfw everyone wants to talk about brosplits
>>
>>35117664

I don't often have full on conversations, but minor interactions like borrowing chalk or complimenting heavy deads/squats. You'd be surprised how friendly people with perpetually mean faces are. The bigger the dude usually the nicer they are. Lately my city owned gym has been under renovations so we all scattered to other gyms. Now, every time I recognize someone from my old gym at my new one we have that comradery and recognition.
>>
File: 1447778437039.gif (497 KB, 300x126) Image search: [Google]
1447778437039.gif
497 KB, 300x126
I go to the gym every day and don't really speak to anyone. I get shitty looks from people all the time so I kind of just keep to myself.
>>
>>35117664
You're not a dick. you come to work out, not to make friends. Nothing wrong with that, cus it essentially is why we are all in the gym.

I see some guys at my gym that never talk with anyone and I can only have respect for them, because i see them working their asses of every day.
>>
>>35117664

whenever someone says anything along othe lines I'm der 2 train not 2 maek friendz

i imagine a fairly fat probably 280 lbs in his first 12 months of lifting who focuses exclusively on legs every workout, wears a hoody to try to hide his fatness, sneers at anyone doing anything other than the big 3, mean mugs people, etc.
>>
File: mmk.gif (238 KB, 150x145) Image search: [Google]
mmk.gif
238 KB, 150x145
>>35118071
>>35118107
case in point....

...damned if I do, damned if I dont.

>only 175lbs
>been going for many years
>>
>>35118028

>do power cleans
>everybody stares
>"what muscle does that work bro?"
>>
>>35117664
You're not wrong the gym isn't a social club people that go to the gym to talk get on my nerves. I mean saying hey to the regulars is fine but then do your workout
>>
>>35118107
I actually am friended with almost all regulair lifters in my gym. was just saying i don't condemn the ones that don't wish to have social interaction.

and i'm ripped as fuck
>>
>>35118178
>friended
like... on facebook? you actually search them out with last names and everything.

Pretty sure that falls into the realm of weird. Maybe one or two, ok, but most?
>>
>>35118245
i dont know about him but the majority of the people i talk to at my gym have started sending me friend requests for the past month, its not as odd as you'd think
>>
>>35118276
lulwut

how do they figure out your name? if some dude at the gym requested me i'd be creeped as fuck

......unless its the blonde cutie DLing next to me today. that'd be swell.
>>
i'm a really social guy, and I lift with my best friend, and I love meeting people at the gym.

we've been at the gym 3-4x a week consistently for about a year now. it's kind of a joke, like we're tweedledee and tweedledum.

I like introducing myself to people. Became close friends with a jacked guy who was a navy seal for 7 years. we almost text every day now and lift together too. he's become kind of like our coach.
>seen him successfully pick up QTs at the gym

people come up to us and compliment us on how much progress we've made. People ask if we're powerlifters or what sport we're doing.

>i get mad hate when i post my body on 4chan.

But that's just me. If you want to keep to yourself, just do that. No worries, no one cares. Fuck anyone who says otherwise.
>>
>>35118305
well I'm in the uni WL club and a few of the regulars know people from that and with all that intermingling it kinda just gets around
>tfw the qt with the biggest deadlift in the gym friend requested me
high test ass too
>>
>>35118004
This is my experience also
>>
>>35118647
>>35118004
I have quick convos with people about this stuff but usually they end rapidly because peoples' opinions on what to do/not to do are as varied and wildly retarded as the threads on /fit/ and theres so much info/misinfo out there that to take anyone's opinion on anything seems totally foolish. i dont even try to defend what I do I just nod and go 'yeah that sounds like a good plan' or some shit.

my suggestion isnt going to make you change what you do, why do you think yours would mine?

fuck im a dick.
>>
File: 1382320449981.jpg (198 KB, 1959x1469) Image search: [Google]
1382320449981.jpg
198 KB, 1959x1469
>>35118364
no she didnt and no guys ever talk to any women at the gym, ever.

>this is what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.
>>
>>35118178

then thats fine

you make it sound like you walk around with a fucked off look on ur face with ur hoody up and earphones in like ur some sorta hard nigga.
>>
Personally Ive never talked to any of the regulars when I go. If I see someone I know ill say hi, and sometimes make small chat with guys in the change room, but not during the workout. I think what you originally said is true. You dont go to the gym to socialize, you go to workout. Whoever told you that needs to fuckoff
>>
my uni gym is typically crowded so everyone keeps to themselves. the dyel bitches also really hate it when you are using a machine they want as though they're entitled. they're annoying af
>>
File: AWAKEN.jpg (261 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AWAKEN.jpg
261 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw home gym musterrace

get to be as autistic and naked as I want
>>
File: 1377030357585.jpg (25 KB, 270x223) Image search: [Google]
1377030357585.jpg
25 KB, 270x223
>>35118038
same
>>
File: 1375421214255.jpg (329 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
1375421214255.jpg
329 KB, 960x719
>>35119053
>>
>>35117664
I love talking to people. I have a whole group of friends from my gym.
I use headphones to, but usually I'll take them out if I am near some bros.
It's great, any time I show up 100% i have 4 or 5 bros there all getting after it. The gym is where I made most of my friends.
Shit I even meet girls there, but only because I dont hit on girls at the gym. Of the three girls I have met at the gym, 1 i gave legit advice and she asked for my number "in case she had any questions" and 2 others have come up to me asking "how to do this exercise, or to spot them when they were squatting, aka arching their butts as far back towards me as possible." However this is at my gym in a college town, my gym back home in a city is way different, but I still talk to a couple african dudes who like banging weight, and some old school BB guys who like my attitude.
>>
File: 1411920115219.jpg (30 KB, 620x632) Image search: [Google]
1411920115219.jpg
30 KB, 620x632
>go to the Y for dat dere lifting/swimming combo wombo
>not actually that bad
>two power cages and a squat rack
>floor area that serves as the platform
>bars with bumper plates
>been going there for over three years
>switched gyms for several months in the middle however
>as long as I can remember there are these two dudes
>one is a pretty big middle aged white guy with a Superman
>other one is a young looking middle aged black guy
>hes that overly-friendly, loudly and clearly speaking type of Christian
>talks to all the regulars
>see them in there literally every time I go in
>WHERES SUPERMAN AT. THERE HE IS! THERE HE IS! LOOK AT EM. BIG ARMS. BIG LEGS. TRAINING HARD.
>yelling at the white guy across the room
>HEY MAN IM JUST TRYIN TO GET WHERE YOU AT.
>I CANT KEEP UP WITH THE SUPERMAN OVER THERE
>turns to the person next to him
>HEY. YOU WANNA GET BIG JUST GO WORK OUT WITH SUPERMAN OVER THERE.
>NAH IM TRYIN TO GET ON YOUR LEVEL MAN
>there are several exchanges of weird faux gay compliments
>meanwhile I've done a set and gotten back from the water fountain
>mfw they're still going
>mfw they've been going for every night for years
>mfw they might never stop
>>
>>35120915
>with a Superman tattoo
>>
At my gym we got two big social groups, sort of like highschool. We got the regulars and the teenage regulars. No teenager ever talk to the regulars and vice versa besides the usuall "is someone using this rack?", "are you done with the 20s?" etc.
But within our groups we always talk to eachother during rest periods
>>
File: life.jpg (619 KB, 1959x1469) Image search: [Google]
life.jpg
619 KB, 1959x1469
>>35119511
>>
File: 1332141962260.gif (145 KB, 680x846) Image search: [Google]
1332141962260.gif
145 KB, 680x846
i want to talk to the qts but i know im not allowed
>>
>>35119053
>no guys ever talk to any women at the gym, ever.

I think I dun fucked up because I did ...accidenty today.

>gym put in new equipment
>now it's just packed with shit
>no place to stretch
>see place where I ususally stretch but cougar is working out doing abs
>ehh fuck it
>we catch eyes
>start walking towards her to get behind her since there is space
>she gets up
>ask her if she minds if I workout behind her
>"no I was just finishing"
>you didn't finish because of me did you haha
>"oh no no haha I was just about done."
>she puts hand on my chest while she laughs
>...start to bend down to sit down on floor
>at the same time she is bending down to grab her phone/sunglasses
>I bump the top of my head into her thigh
>oh sorry
>"haha no it's ok."
>next time you can bump into me lol
>ok deal haah

This normie shit isn't for me
>>
>>35120915
>done a set and gotten back from the water fountain
>drinking water in between sets
>>
>>35119511
Colored version is a shit
>>
NEVER talk to anyone at the gym for ANY reason. Put on headphones and blast music at max volume. Keep your eyes on the floor at all times even during your lifts, yes, even bench, figure it out. If someone is using something that you want then repeatedly bump into it to let him know and let others know that you called it. If someone else is already bumping into it then start bumping into him. Oh, and obviously the locker room is eyes-closed at all times, just reach out and paw around it to find your way. Hope this helps.
>>
I told a guy who was benching without a spotter to use the safety rails, because it's fucking dangerous
>>
>doing SL 5x5
>pajeets see me do squats 3 times a week
>"bro do you only work legs?"
>>
>>35119114
Well fuck I do this ;_;

but only if im going to bust my ass til i cant move. Normally i say hi or am polite if someone asks me if im using a weight, machine, or squat rack.
>>
I'm not interested in bro science or homo circle jerking. I have 90 minutes to bust my ass and make gains. Literally only ask me for a spot and if you are lifting too heavy or with bad form, never again. Stay out of my eye line.

Anybody who follows that code gets respect from me. Those are the guys that get fist bumps. Maybe we talk about new routines or progress every 3 months. That's all the social you need at the gym and how you get the cardio bunnies squirting. Also the guys you laugh at jerk offs with. 3 second eye contact, chuckle, lift.
>>
I talk to other Weightlifters but nobody else, feels good because I can get help with anything since they are all stronger and know more than I do.

One guy got invited to worlds and was in commonwealth games last time, other guy is sprint cyclist and squats like 230kg.
>>
>>35117664
I go to the gym and only talk to the this girl with the best ass i have ever seen. Too bad the face is 5-6/10
>>
How do you go to the gym for years and never talk to anyone who you asked for a spot or who asked you for a spot?

You're either lying or working out wrong
>>
Im the strongest at my gym, no doubt about it. People always want to talk to me but i took on a disciple and that faggot failedme entirely. I see how little people try and i dont care about them . i hate ppl who get in my way
>>
>>35123266
That shit makes me so mad, if you are talk to me at least be dedicated
>>
>>35118314
>literal 3 day meme splitter
>lol look how friendly i am XD insert gay reddit alien guy
Get the FUCK out
This is exactly the garbage im talking about skinny fat weakling, doesnt count calories on a bulk, rests 5 minutes between sets,has never done a super set, his form is garbage and he spends 45 minutes at the gym. After 1 yr he hasnt comeclose to 4321
Fuck off
>>
>>35118314
>Normie scum
I hate people like you at the gym, btfo back to reddit
>>
>>35118151
>not answering "all of them"
>being this beta
>>
People who think you need to be social are the pathetic weaklings who have amounted to nothing, they are the ones who say they like a band and then you start talking about the shows youve been to and actually analyzing the music, and they are like woah dude thats too much. They are women, for them thry go to the gym to say i workout but have never sweat nor bled at the altar of iron. These fucking losers have no idea what it means to push themselves they are content as seeing the gym like a skate park, we come to hang out and skate a little, these fucking weak ass faggors are the ones who talk about how progress takes time and that working out 6 days a week is bad, because they are so weak and fucking incapable.
>no dude i cant spent 10 hours a week at the gym i have a life
This is the excuse these weak pathetic faggots hide behind shaming anyone who works harder than them to protect their fragile psyche. Fucking fags
>>
>>35117729

h-hey...*scratches neck for no reason*...my name is pretty...doh...i mean my name is paul...you're pretty...no wait...don't go

spaghetti every time i talk to girls, even worse at the gym
>>
>>35119176
Dude, I've become addicted to that Pre-PR attempt wank. I'm travelling now, tomorrow is Friday IDay, and I have to use a public gym. I have no idea how it's gonna work out.
Public gyms in general spook me because they're popular and well lit and warm and people get together and are social and friendly in a positive environment, cheering each other on over some subtle top 40 music, unlike my frozen-ass home gym where I fuel my squats with repressed anger and every PR is celebrated with a bitter "there are 77 kg Chinks who lift more than you" barely audible over my speakers blaring DMX.
>>
>>35117664
I don't like people who try to make friends with me at the gym. I don't mind brief hellos or asking for spots and stuff but I go to the gym to have personal time.
>tfw roommate asks you to take him to the gym and show him what to do
>>
Bump for new fags to learn gyms are not social hubs
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.