[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, I'm thinking about getting a foam roller but I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: foam-rollers[1].jpg (51 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
foam-rollers[1].jpg
51 KB, 600x500
Hey, I'm thinking about getting a foam roller but I'm not sure if should get the long with the flat surface or the short one with the spiky surface (the two middle ones). Is there any major difference?
>>
>>35115802
>Is there any major difference?
I like them if the gym has them available just because the knobs hit a spot on my scapula that I can never get out with a regular roller, but honestly if you're a poorfag you can get by with a PVC pipe and a lacross ball. I glued an old yoga mat to my pipe.
>>
Depends on what you are going to foamroll. Some parts of the body cant handle too rough of a roll (the spine and sides of the knee etc.) and therefore the smooth "soft" roller would be best here.
>>
>>35115802
Hijacking OPS thread to ask

How do I foam roll mid back?? I have the grid foam roller. Do I need a soft one?

Also when buying a lacrosse ball is there anything I should look out for or just buy whatever's cheapest?
>>
File: 1437589165693.jpg (81 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
1437589165693.jpg
81 KB, 500x453
>>35115957
>Also when buying a lacrosse ball is there anything I should look out for or just buy whatever's cheapest?
This I want to know too.
Also, bump.
>>
>>35115957
There is a guide to doing this in the sticky.
>>
>>35115957
family, a lacrosse ball is a lacrosse ball. tennis balls are good too.
>>
Will the rumble roller rumble my jimmies?
>>
>>35115957

Lacrosse balls are pretty standard. Any kind will do.
>>
I have all four of those foam rollers.

You can buy a 4 ft piece of PVC at Home Depot for like $6. You can't really get any more economically efficient than that. It gets the job done.

All of the smooth rollers will eventually warp and you'll have to buy another one, even the extra dense black ones.

The Grid is decent, but it's way over priced since there are tons of better options in the same price range.

The Rumble Roller is my favorite, and I own three of them, blue, black, short black. It's probably the best roller on the market, and hasn't warped after almost daily use for over two years. It's on the high side though, so don't get it unless you're serious.

All of the knock offs are just fucking retarded and they either break or explode within a month.

To answer your question, the knobs on the better rollers do make a big difference.
>>
>>35115984
>that pic
pre-workout is a hell of a drug..
>>
>>35116050
>>35115802

Newb here,

What is this foam rolling business all about?
>>
>>35115997
I've been here for a year and never realised.

>>35116046
>>35116026
Thanks friends
>>
File: grid_foam_matrix1[1].png (526 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
grid_foam_matrix1[1].png
526 KB, 1500x1500
>>35116050
Thanks, this was very useful.
So am i doing the right thing if i order one of these specifically? It costs 50 dollars where I live.
>>
>>35116083
myofascial release
>>
>>35116083

Loosens the fascia that covers your muscles. Buy a cheap foam roller. Go to r/fitness on and search foam rolling. First hit is some guy named Steve Carson or something with a video of basic foam rolling exercises. Try them, you will be in serious pain. Don't give up. Afterwords, you will feel like a new man. Better than you've felt in a hot minute.
>>
>>35116083
"Foam rolling is a type of self-myofascial release in which pressure is applied to certain body parts to relieve pain. A recent study published in the Journal of Sports Rehabilitation found that foam rolling significantly increases range of motion and that the combination of static stretching and foam rolling led to the greatest flexibility improvements. “Foam rolling limits soreness and tightness by increasing blood flow and flexibility,” says New Jersey based personal trainer Francisco Cabreja. “When the muscles are tight, injuries such as tears are more likely to occur.” Do these 10 foam rolling moves to get every major muscle group firing properly."
>>
File: 5eb.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
5eb.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>meme roller
>>
File: 1426874145924.jpg (18 KB, 448x448) Image search: [Google]
1426874145924.jpg
18 KB, 448x448
>>35116242
>myofascistfecal pooplease
>>
>>35116242

do you have to do this in every thread
>>
File: 526047150_605.jpg (150 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
526047150_605.jpg
150 KB, 800x600
>>35115957
I use a hard plastic boccia ball from an old set from my parents garage. It works fine.
>>
>>35116326
croquet ball here

>>35115802
I have a jfit smooth roller, works great

I am both scared and aroused by the rumble roller, I'll have to get one eventually.
>>
>>35116394
Yeah I was actually looking for a croquet ball to begin with, but they weren't at our house and I remembered we had boccia balls too.

I have the rumble roller. It looks scary, but keep in mind the pointy bits are somewhat soft too. I thought they'd be harder than they were when I first tried it. I haven't tried a normal foam roller though, so I don't really know how it compares.
It did fucking hurt when I did my quads for the first time though.
>>
How often and when do you foam roll?
>>
>>35116525
When i have time, I like to do it before and after a workout.

Anytime I am really tense.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.