[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/ You all have probably noticed a lot of people goi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6
File: 401798-seafood.jpg (555 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
401798-seafood.jpg
555 KB, 1600x1200
Hey /fit/

You all have probably noticed a lot of people going vegetarian or vegan these days (even Latsbrah posted a video today).

I'm also thinking about the decision to cut meat from my diet, but I like to find a golden middle ground.
Since I'd always prefer seafood over pork, beef or chicken, I thought about trying out pescetarianism (vegetarian + seafood basically)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

What are your thoughts about this? Any experiences? Anyone interested as well?
>>
Why?
>>
>>35115795
I think you should eat red meat for the carnitine, I eat grass-fed venison - I avoid factory-farmed meat.

I recommend oysters for zinc (I assume they're pescetarian) and liver has high levels of vitamin A but I haven't found any that isn't factory-farmed so I'm in two minds.

I think the middle ground is to still eat meat and make it a lot less than the usual "meat every other meal".
>>
>>35115920
Thanks for your answer.
I'll probably try splitting my week into 1 - 2 days with regular meat, 2 - 4 days seafood and the remaining days without any meat or fish at all.
>>
>>35115795

I tried vegan and it didn't work for me.
Nowadays, most of what I eat is vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, oat, but I also include the following:

>fish
>egg whites
>whey

it works great for me and I would recommend this diet to everyone. You don't need meat at all
>>
>>35115978
Thanks. Did you notice any changes in your daily life? More energy, general well being, etc?
>>
>>35115920
>Oysters
>grass-fed venison
That sounds expensive
>>
>>35115920

>I think you should eat red meat for the carnitine

No need for that, your body makes carnitine

For vitamin A, sweet potatoes are GOAT
>>
>>35116055
yeah, maybe. Oysters are 2 british pounds ($2.99) for 85g (100g has ~537%RDV of zinc), and the venison I buy is 6 pounds ($8.96) for ~225g. I would only buy each of those once a week. The rest of my diet is whole ingredients although I buy organic so they're more expensive. I spend about 65-70 pounds a week ($100). I think it's worth the investment myself.
>>
>>35116122
I've heard that argument a couple of times about different nutrients like DHEA in fish, and I always think that must vary from person to person. I haven't looked into it though.
>Sweet potatoes vitamin A
You're right, sweet potatoes have 384%RDV compared to liver having 522%.
>>
>>35115795
>even Latsbrah posted a video today
literally no one cares except for /pol/

That being said, /pol/ pls go
>>
>>35116024

more energy because more fruits (inb4 carbs are bad)

also my skin looks much better and I've had a big mysterious rash on my belly for one year, it cleared up and somehow vanished
>>
>>35115795
>You all have probably noticed a lot of people going vegetarian or vegan these days

I've noticed vegans shilling that a lot recently, but the actually number of people is smaller than ever since veganism is a dying fad. If you want to then knock yourself out, but just don't shitpost about it.

>tfw half a pound to a pound of red meat a day

Feels good man.
>>
>>35116471

>You're right, sweet potatoes have 384%RDV compared to liver having 522%.

And even better, the vitamin A in the sweet potatoes comes in the form of beta-carotene, which has strong antioxidant properties. Sweet potato proteins can also inhibit cancer growth.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/anti-cancer-potential-of-sweet-potato-proteins/
>>
>>35116374
I only eat farm raised meat/milk/eggs
Its not that expensive.
I speed about $120 a fortnight and they way I look at it is that's a days work a fortnight for food.

But I guess if you think that's too much on food depends on your priorities
Rent > food > transport > other shit
>>
>>35116518
>veganshill.org
>antioxidant

Such a meme term for the uneducated to trot out. Does your conditioner have special antioxidants too? A much better argument then terribly supported meme science would be saying that liver tastes like ass while sweet potatoes are actually tasty.
>>
>>35116591

>everyone's out to get me

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/DocServer/E81-TLPW.pdf?docID=1861

Antioxidant, antioxidant, antioxidant. How triggered are you?
>>
File: wtfman.png (921 KB, 703x482) Image search: [Google]
wtfman.png
921 KB, 703x482
this nigger pissed as fuck
>>
File: cells.png (14 KB, 218x339) Image search: [Google]
cells.png
14 KB, 218x339
>>35116518
>in vitro
>>>/trash
>>
File: shigeru2.jpg (76 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
shigeru2.jpg
76 KB, 600x800
> mfw people follow fad diets from youtube literally whos
>>
You're diet should be plant based with meat anyways. this is literally what you should be doing in the first place, what's the difference of making it fish instead of a land dwelling animal?
>>
I eat meat for every single meal.
Fruits are a side-dish/snack.
>>
>>35116515
>>35116830

Meat consumption is actually on a downwards trend for the past 10 years, despite increasing for all of the 20th century. You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think veganism (or at least reduced meat consumption) is a fad, because it's based on sound ethical principles.
>>
>>35117610
>thinking reduced meat consumption is due to ethical reasons rather than economics and health

>ethical
>sound
only one
>>
>>35117610

You know what else is trending? Being an effeminate no test libtard hipster. I'll choose to eat meat and lift heavy like my ancestors, you can enjoy your tofu and pilates, faggot.
>>
>>35116604
Nah, vegans are just scientifically illiterate is all.
>>
>>35117610
>based on sound ethical principles

Only to furries who feel they have to irrationally anthropomorphize farm animals.
>>
>>35115795
Just eat high quality meat only, that is enough to cut your consumption to a healthy level.
>>
Finding myself nearly vegetarian due to how expensive meat is.

I don't spend more than $60 a week on food. Milk typically takes up the bulk of my food cost, with a litre costing me $3.39 each.

Milk = $23.75
Eggs (6 a day) = 10.00
Sausages (Or whatever cheap pork that's on sale) = 10.00
Dried beans = 10.00

The beans are bought in bulk, and enough for two weeks or so. I also have rice, bought in bulk. The cost of both is negligible.
>>
>>35116374
>>35116585
what are the health benefits to making sure your meat isn't factory farmed?

I live in Britain, and as far as I'm aware we don't pump our cows with steroids like american farms do.
>>
>>35118298
The reason I eat grass-fed and ideally wild meat is based on the maybe unscientific idea that it's more healthy to eat a healthy animal. I think I've also heard that grass-feeding changes the fats which are in the meat. Also I like to support hunting when I'm able to.
>>
>>35118428
I've always wanted to hunt deer, but don't you have to pay an estate like a grand to go bag one on their property?
>>
>>35117191
Good goy! keeping kosher is good.

DAILY REMINDER:

Vegans have more testosterone and less chance of getting cancer (duh)

http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/02/12/less-cancer-in-vegan-men-despite-more-testosterone/

This is just one study. Find more yourself and cross reference them all.
>>
>>35118508
>article makes unfounded claims and doesn't provide any citations
>>
>>35118451
I've seen wild deer roaming everyone's land indiscriminately where I used to live outside Bath. Someone hunted and shot one when I was there though that may have been on his land. I've seen them on the quieter streets of Bath in the early hours as well.

It might be welcome pest-removal if you found a non-hunting farmer.
>>
>>35118508
>what is distortion from difference in sample sizes
>what is predisposition
>what is a controlled study
>what is ecological fallacy
>what are multiple variables
>what is statistics
>what is logic

>This is just one study
other studies supporting your conclusions is irrelevant if your conclusions aren't legitimately rooted in what this study is saying, and it isn't saying veganism raises testosterone.
>what is confirmation bias
>>
>>35118576
>>35118793
This desu.
>>
File: Snack.jpg (201 KB, 600x419) Image search: [Google]
Snack.jpg
201 KB, 600x419
Cutting out dairy is even more important than cutting out meat, from a health perspective. Pregnant cow products really fuck with your hormones and mood. Ethically, eating mammals from a factory is indirectly supporting cruelty. When I first came out of my animal-products-at-every-meal-its-the-american-way mentality, I kept seafood in my diet for a few weeks until I learned more about vitamin d, calcium, b12, and protein. Pescatarianism is a fine way to ease into it OP.
>>
>>35118994
Kill yourself vegan.
>>
>>35118994
[citation needed]
>>
>>35119038
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html
>>
I was a pescetarian for around 2 years and about a month ago i went vegan and i wont look back. The gains are still great and i've learned so much about cooking. If you're doing it for ethical reasons you should research the dairy and fish industry. Long story short i don't agree with either.
>>
>>35115795
All of the fitness youtubers are lying about going vegan/veg just to fuck with all of you.
>>
>>35117610
>You are what you eat
>I eat gainz
Enjoy ending up a fucking vegetable

But seriously wtf is "cant kilz animalz they r ppl 2"
>>
>>35119690
Industrial animal products are shit, that's not news.
>>
>>35116591
Sweet potato taste fucking horrible though
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 512x288
>>35117895
Your ancestors live long past 30 did they?
>>
>>35119690
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030211006710
>>
>>35119938
They gave milk to female rats and measured weight. How about to male humans abd measure hormone levels? Anecdotally, dairy has given me acne, caused a flush face, and contributed to weight gain in the past.
>>
>>35119865
It's pretty good with some butter on it in my opinion.

>>35119895
>implying infant mortality and causes of death unrelated to nutrition have any bearing on this discussion

Vegans please.
>>
>>35115920
>but I haven't found any that isn't factory-farmed so I'm in two minds.
why the fuck are you worried about factory farmed oysters? 1. farmed oysters are cleaner than their wild cousins 2. oyster farms are actually GOOD for the environment

seriously, it's not like they feed the oysters antibiotics or pump them full of growth hormones when they're spats, whats wrong with farmed?
>>
Im back. Fuck your red meat, eat bugs like the other half of the world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bugs-protein-healthy_561be438e4b0082030a3476c

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-28969505
>>
>>35115795
Anyone know what the top and third from bottom fish is? Top kinda looks like goatfish or sturgeon but not really either, third looks like squirrelfish but not really.
I think it's from bottom up
>Jack Mackerel
>Snapper (Red?)
>??
>Toro
>Grouper (Black with discoloration?)
>??
>>
>>35116515
Enjoy your cancerous prolapsed anus
>>
>>35118020
Claiming that vegans "anthropromorphize" animals is a strawman. You don't need to think something is human to think it shouldnt be treated like shit.
>>
>>35119865
Underage pls go
>>
>>35120425
this
>>
>>35120425
You see the animal squealing and immediately you anthropomorphize it. That's irrational and unscientific. Animals do not have consciousness. They operate on a much more primitive level, guided only by instincts.
>>
>>35120466

>animals do not have consciousness
>humans are animals
>>
>>35120466
so you only care about beings with consciousness? why not eat coma victims?
>>
>>35120466
>You see the animal squealing and immediately you anthropomorphize it.

No I don't. I don't need to think it's human to know that it's suffering. There's nothing special about humanity anyway, we are doing nothing in the same way that animals are doing nothing, we just make more of a show of it.
>>
>>35120539
Recovery from a comatose state is possible, similar to sleep. In modern society body / organ donation is fine, but cannibalism of the dead is still illegal for religtarded reasons.

>>35120569
>I don't need to think it's human to know that it's suffering.
'Suffering' is a subjective conscious experience. Unlike humans its prefrontal cortex is too primitive and underdeveloped for qualia.

>There's nothing special about humanity anyway
Humanity has language, advanced technology, and civilization. We fucking rule this planet. Go be a misanthropic luddite on >>>/pol/.
>>
>>35115795
Whats the fucking point?
>>
>>35115795
Hey OP, i think you posted the wrong wikipedia link.

Here's the correct one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrarian

>A contrarian is a person who takes up a contrary position, especially a position that is opposed to that of the majority, regardless of how unpopular it may be.[1] Contrarian styles of argument and disagreement have historically been associated with radicalism and dissent.
>>
>>35115795
Recently got my pre-cycle bloodwork & found my cholesterol was a bit high. TFW I fell for the "dietary cholesterol doesnt affect cholesterol" meme. I'm now eating a ton of chicken breast & tilapia with brown rice & veggies.
>>
>>35120685
rofl so your argument is that animals can't suffer even tho that position has been dunked on by innumerable studies in the last 2 decades. nice 1 bro

>Humanity has language, advanced technology, and civilization

many species use language, and a number have primitives versions of civilization. that's irrelevant tho, because none of those things amount to anything on the cosmic scale. just various forms of doing nothing for no reason as we await the destruction of the universe. you're so spooked even the ghostbusters wouldn't be able the save u from ur delusional lmao. read way more, giga-pleb
>>
>>35118115
holy fuck those are outrageous prices. 23$ for a weeks worth of milk? might as well get soy milk for that price
>>
>>35116374
you're fucking cool man

10/10 would be organic bros with
>>
>>35117895
shut the fuck up. you live in a fucking cozy ass room and you don't actually do anything difficult in your life. stop being a faggot that thinks eating meat make him "manly" fucking lmao
>>
>>35120685
>cannibalism of the dead
Also public health concerns.
>>
reminder that if you think animal products make you manly you're mistaken and a puppet of mainstream media. Real men stick with principles.
>>
>>35120735
>even tho that position has been dunked on by innumerable studies in the last 2 decades. nice 1 bro
Except that's wrong. It has been shown that they possess unconscious behavioral output. Not subjective conscious experience. Please take a neuroscience class and educate yourself instead of spamming this board with panpsychic spiritual beliefs.

>many species use language, and a number have primitives versions of civilization.
keyword: primitive

> that's irrelevant tho, because none of those things amount to anything on the cosmic scale. just various forms of doing nothing for no reason as we await the destruction of the universe. you're so spooked even the ghostbusters wouldn't be able the save u from ur delusional lmao. read way more, giga-pleb
Nice pseudo-philosophy you got there. What teenager's facebook wall did you copypasta it from?
>>
>>35120282
If I could find affordable sources that weren't filthy, disgusting crickets then I'd definitely supplement my red meat consumption with insects.
>>
>>35115795
Nothing bad will happen, so just try it. I'm gonna start alternating days of eating vegan and my standard diet.

I'm never gonna go full vegan though, at least I will enjoy some of the health benefits even if they are blown out of proportion by VG and the like.
>>
>>35117895
this desu

>effeminate no test libtard hipster
this is a pretty accurate description for most vegans.
>>
I grow my own chickens and catch my own fish (live on the river). Only thing I buy from the store that comes from animals is milk, cheese, and the occasional steak when I can afford it.
>>
Friendly reminder the Hodgetwins are vegetarian.

>>35115920
>MY ZINC
Try eating whole wheat, corn, potatoes, oats, etc.

Easy 120%+ a day without even trying.

>>35117895
But your ancestors didn't eat meat much.
That was only during extreme strains on the species, when the "ice age" got really bad.

If your ancestors truly ate meat a lot we wouldn't be herbivores.

>>35120051
Even if your ancestors lived longer on your imaginary diet you aren't controlling for activity, pollution level, and poison exposure that was inherently all in better levels back then.
>>
>>35123953
>Friendly reminder the Hodgetwins are vegetarian.

Why would anyone give a single shit?

>But your ancestors didn't eat meat much.

Virtually every expert on prehistoric humans disagrees.

>If your ancestors truly ate meat a lot we wouldn't be herbivores.

I wish being a vegan troll was a permaban offense.
>>
>>35124412
>Being brain damaged
Try actually looking up what scientists say and stop blindly listening to what your parents tell you.
>>
>>35120087
not oysters, factory-farmed liver.
>>
Report and hide fad diet troll threads.
>>
>>35123953
>Easy 120% a day
I think the RDV is underestimated.
>>
>>35123953
>If your ancestors truly ate meat a lot we wouldn't be herbivores.
we're not, we're omnivores.
>>
>>35120466

>animals do not have consciousness

jesus christ youre not actually this retarded/delusional are you?
>>
>>35118020
I do it for the environmental aspect.
>>
>>35124836
>vegan because of the environment
>agriculture makes up around 9% of US emissions
Tripping over dollars to pick up pennies I see.
>>
>>35117895
>implying your ancestors ate meat on the scale we do today
>implying your ancestors ever touched weights, or stuffed themselves in air conditioned gyms
>implying your ancestors didn't get more aerobic vs anaerobic exercise
>>
>>35124910

>The meat based food system requires more energy, land, and water resources than the lactoovovegetarian diet.

>http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/660S.full
>>
>>35125118
what about the cost of having a malnourished population?
>less scientific innovations
>impaired decision-making
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.