[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ What do you think about planks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 512x288
/fit/
What do you think about planks?
>>
>>35107977
hate them
>>
>>35107977
love them
>>
>>35107977
i have no strong feelings one way or the other.
>>
>>35107977
They're just okay.
>>
>>35107977
All kind of planks (and crunches/superman/burpees) are part of my pre-routine.
>>
Will they give me better results than crunches, should I do them instead of crunches, or will my results be best doing planks in conjunction with crunches? I know, I know, the sticky--but can I hear some educated opinions? Thanks.
>>
File: klok.jpg (181 KB, 1435x890) Image search: [Google]
klok.jpg
181 KB, 1435x890
Seems like a waste of time if you know how to do exercises like squats.
>>
>>35107977
Harder than anticipated
>>
>>35107977
I do them at work in the lockable restroom along with pushups so I don't feel lazy.
>>
>>35108362
Both are isolation exercises, one features push force and the other pull force; plank triggers a lot of stabilizers and antagonist muscles. Do both for better insertions

>>35108403
Squats trigger abdominals only as antagonist. I seriously hope you aren't relying on squats for your abs; rather, you should rely on your abs (too) for your squats.
>>
>>35107977
I do weighted planks using heavy dumbbells between my legs
>>
File: chinese plank.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
chinese plank.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
I do weighted chinese planks.
>>
>>35107977
planks are for people who already have abs, to troll retards who want abs
>>
>>35107977
It's a good beginner stability work out that functions to work the muscles that stabilize the spine.

Once you can do them comfortably for a minute, you're better off doing more dynamic things like hanging leg raises or ab wheel.
>>
Get you one of those big plastic inflatable balls, and plank your elbows on that. Then roll it around, front to back, side to side, circles, etc.
>>
>>35108738

Hips are not in line.
>>
>>35107977
planks 4 skanks
>>
Can't live without them.

When I turned 14 I was 6'3" tall and I started to have pain in my lower back.
The family doctor recommended me to try doing planks to ease the pain and I have been doing them ever since.
>>
>>35108993
>When I turned 14 I was 6'3"
THANK YOU SKELLY LANKLETTON
>>
>>35107977
hate them boring as fuck
>>
>>35109051
>being this much of a jelly manlet you call everyone who is tall a skinny lanklet or whatever

dude said he was 14, wtf do you expect? fuck man your low self-esteem is emberassing me, lift your ego some more faggot
>>
I can do a plank for a minute but can barely do side planks. My obliques have shit endurance
>>
File: tumblr_nwl0r0Ycp21tezt7xo1_400.png (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwl0r0Ycp21tezt7xo1_400.png
8 KB, 400x400
>>35108993
how well did they alleviate your lower back issues?

if you did supplementary core workouts, have they taken away your lower back pain?

i ask because like 8 FUCKING MONTHS AGO i tweaked my lower right back a bit doing deadlift, then decided the next day to row. That worsened it, and I chalked it up to an injury and did away with upper body lifts. The next day i go to leg press machine and that shit made me hurt so bad. Its gotten much better, but I still have it flare up a bit.
>>
They're good, a pain in the ass but good. Best ab exercise is dragon flags though
>>
>>35108738
wood plank
>>
I do regular and side planks on rest days.
Coupled with regular stretching they've helped me a lot resolving stability issues on pretty much all BB compounds.
>>
>>35109355
6'3" at 14 is freakish. That's some bovine growth hormone shit. Dudes health is ducked from chemicals during pregnancy
>>
>>35107977
I was just doing them and folded after 1m10s which is embarrassing.
>>
>>35107977
Its a useless meme exercise
>>
>>35110358
What's an acceptable time?
>>
>>35110377

At least 2 minutes
>>
>>35110377
> a recent study on 168 college students found that your average college-aged female has a plank time of about 1 minute, 30 seconds, while an average college-aged male has a plank time of about 1 minute, 46 seconds

http://physicalliving.com/how-long-should-i-hold-the-plank-exercise-for/

I'm even more ashamed of my time now and will do another set to redeem myself.
>>
>>35107977
i do 1 minute planks with anywhere from 2-4 plates on my back depending how im feeling

My core is strong af i think, and i'm strong so like it works you trust meh

i would estat rn but i love doing weighted planks and think they are cool so do them if ya want kthx
>>
>>35110377
Professional rock climbers plank for hours on end. At this gym I go to, six minutes is standard. You're allowed to alternate from front to side planks, as long as you stay on your toes the entire time. Try doing a minute on each side (front, side, opposite side, front, etc.) for six minutes. Shit feels so good dude.
>>
>>35110401
>1:29
Know what I gotta work on now.
>>
>>35107977
Who is that semen demon
>>
>>35110433
Scott Herman, anon.

I literally googled "plank" and he was the first video result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHjTRCQxIw
>>
>>35108403
Squats do shit all for your abs. Great for most of your core though.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.