[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /fit/ ever train for balance or train occasionally to keep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: balance.jpg (10 KB, 500x170) Image search: [Google]
balance.jpg
10 KB, 500x170
Does /fit/ ever train for balance or train occasionally to keep up balance? I want to make sure I have really good balance on my feet. What is a program I can do, or something I can do a few times a week to make sure my balance is up to par? I like those blue things you stand on. they are like half a ball and you balance on them
>>
jump rope
>>
>>35105913
bump
>>
why do you want balance
like, do you want to tightrope walk? if so, tightrope walk
etc
>>
>>35106039
Had a knee injury and i want to do everything possible to make sure the thing doesnt injure again
>>
>>35106224
well it depends lots on what ur knee injury was, and id then recommend seeing a physio so they can recommend specific exercises to strengthen whatever lead to your injury lad
randomly standing on wobbly balls is likely not the thing to be doing
>>
>>35105913
bump
>>
File: 1448501153642.jpg (57 KB, 630x616) Image search: [Google]
1448501153642.jpg
57 KB, 630x616
Chinese thinking stance. My master used it as punishment in a traditional class setting. Kind of like wall sits, but with no wall.

Feet about double the width of your shoulders apart. Keep back straight and bend knees to about 5 degrees above parallel position. Hold arms straight out and parallel. Hold it to failure. Once you get past 5 minutes, start adding weights to your hands progressively to failure and keep at a weight until you can do it for five minutes.

Builds foundation and endurance. Will show exponential growth in your balancing ability.
>>
>>35106391
If it's too hard to maintain that position because of your knee injury, start at a 45 degree above parallel and work down into it until you can maintain at 5 degrees. Progress the same way as the weights. Holding to failure or to five minutes. There's no need to rush; definitely take your time with a knee injury.
>>
>>35106391
So like the yoga pose where knees slightly bend and arms straight over your head at an angle? How does that help balance?
>>
>>35106454
No. The depth is nearly or right at the breaking point. Stance should be as wide or wider. Designed to strengthen muscular foundation for endurance, not to help digestive issues and purify the soul with memetic hindu bullshit.
>>
>>35105913
put one foot up on the other knee
cross your hands at your groin
close your eyes
hold that
>>
>>35106039
It's actually real good prehab esp for low back and pelvic tilt type shit. Beyond that you aren't always going to be moving/lifting on a stable surface and having some experience of any unstable surfaces will help.
>>
>>35106574
Any tips then?
>>
>>35105913
Try skating.. Like honestly the balance it takes to ride a longboard down even a small hill is incredible. Or try doing an Ollie without balance or footwork.
>>
This is easy, parkourists do it: walk along the tops of hand rails.

There's a technique to it, look it up on youtube. It's hard but if you're willing to follow through, it will sort your balance out FAST.
>>
File: 1417584812254.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2400) Image search: [Google]
1417584812254.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2400
>>35105961
This, in terms of training for athleticism there are few better exercises than jumping rope. It trains endurance, agility, hand Erie coordination, balance and vert(mainly when you get into double and triple unders) in addition to giving you juicy calves
>>
>>35105913

just skateboard or something faggot
>>
File: 1416008040331.jpg (78 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
1416008040331.jpg
78 KB, 400x533
>>35109562
>suggests skateboarding
>calls others faggots
>>
>>35109137
Riding isn't that hard.
Standing on a stationary board though
>tfw shitty sk8ter
>>
>>35105913
single leg squats and hops

also google said this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWuKEt96Jjs
>>
Developing strong legs and a solid core will probably be much more beneficial than anything else.
Outside of that, just do some cardio that you need decent balance for, like iceskating, or skipping.
>>
File: stretching.jpg (48 KB, 426x312) Image search: [Google]
stretching.jpg
48 KB, 426x312
>>35105913
personally I started practising for splits recently and one pose is extremely hard to balance
#1 and #4 (don't put your hands on the knee)
I don't do pic related but you can try the other poses that seem hard to balance (10, 13, 26, 27, 28)
I hold the pose for 10s then switch legs. Repeat 3 times.
>>
Terrible advice
>>
Start walking on railroad tracks. Now keep going.
>>
Slack lining is something I've wanted to get into, I'm from Washington and spend way too much time in the woods, often your only path will be walking across a log and balance can keep your ass out of the drink
>>
>>35113740
Fucking yoga balls are has as shit to maintain balance on as well. Just find shit that moves beneath you and is hard to balance, and get on that bitch and balance
>>
>>35107566
Do a variety of balance exercises regularly. Unilateral exercises like pistol squats can help or skipping.

While I say something like squatting on a Swiss ball is stupid I don't think it's entirely without merit either. I did some lighter bench with memebells on a meme ball to up my memery and I found it useful for like hitting a groove and getting my bench form more spot on. If you could do it safely I imagine squats on a Swiss ball or something might be good because similarities.

As a general thing though try slack rope or standing on a Swiss ball or gymnastics or ice skating and just develop a really amazing sense of stability and movement and shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 766x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 766x431
>>35113740
>The Arts!
>>
>>35105913
>blue thing you stand on

Bosu ball, mate. I've started using them again after many months to work on some balance stuff. Just do simple things like single leg swing front/back or laterally while standing on it
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.