[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Judo practical?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1443675991701.jpg (63 KB, 306x713) Image search: [Google]
1443675991701.jpg
63 KB, 306x713
Would practicing Judo or some other martial art help me get in shape or muscular?
>>
Muscular probably not, but in shape yes.
>>
File: ronda btfo.webm (2 MB, 470x264) Image search: [Google]
ronda btfo.webm
2 MB, 470x264
>>35099707
>judo.
Try a striking martial art.
>>
No idea.. Wondering if any "small amount" of martial arrs training is useful.

I mean, is there a training scheme out there that takes much less time, maybe a few sessions or a few months, and already puts you ahead of the majority of men who are untrained?
>>
it's practical for self defense and general fitness, but you won't get muscular
>>
>>35099707
Yea, judo will get you shredded. and give you big j00sy forearms
>>
Judo is a good idea for coordination/strenght/self-defense/meeting hot-crazy girls. It won't help you get in shape any more than lifting and cardio. Also you need to be very serious about any contact sport or you can get fucked up for life.
>>
>>35099969
Roids and cheating for competition.
Buy a gun/taser/pepper spray for self defense.
>>
>>35099707
is it just me or is every white judo sensei overweight? never have seen a shredded one
>>
>>35099969
There're self defense courses who can teach you the basics of fighting (how to punch, how to defend, effective grapples) it could make a small difference.

But if you really want to be good at fighting and be able to apply it in a ring or real life you have to train for years.
>>
>>35099994
this Anon speaks truth.

Judo is fucking fierce.
And most good judo clubs also have a strength training element as well. So squats and deads are real goof complements to the aerobic and anaerobic randoori and technique practices.
>>
>>35099707

In shape, yes.
Stronger, yes.
More muscular, yes.

But gym sessions will be more efficient for all these. However, judo is a great sport, great for self defense and a good point of entry for other grappling styles. If you achieve shodan in judo you will have highly transferrable skills to bjj, wrestling, sambo, muay Thai, etc.

>>35099958
Rousey vs Holm is a bad argument for this. How many pro boxers do you expect to fight? Let alone pro boxers turned mma fighters with grappling knowledge. That being said, I have nothing but love for strikers

>>35100062
That's Putin.

It's because like most athletes turned coaches they don't push themselves as hard in old age. That being said I've met old Judo guys "judo gut" that conceals brick wall abs
>>
>>35100047
Nah staying natty

But do carry a gun, though its not legal to or practical in some cases so I am unarmed, would be nice to have some minimal training beyond my instincts.. Maybe some dale gribble pocket sand?

>>35100066
Are any of them "by name", a specific system or something, I mean, how can I know they are worth my time/$?
>>
File: batman suplex.gif (530 KB, 360x268) Image search: [Google]
batman suplex.gif
530 KB, 360x268
Judo will help you get dad forearms and a strong back. The gi will make you sweat a lot so it is important to stay hydrated or else your body will fall apart. The judo gut is real and the old, fat guys have learned how to use all of their mass to throw smaller dudes.
>>
>>35099707

You'll gain a little bit of muscle if you're a complete DYEL and lose fat. But you should supplement your Judo training with lifting.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.