[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SS vs SL and beginner lifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 1429496075862.png (7 KB, 473x454) Image search: [Google]
1429496075862.png
7 KB, 473x454
which is better for a beginner? I'm DYEL as can be, cant even bench of squat 1 pl8 but after a few months on a shitty PPL split im closing in on both, but i still think starting fresh is the best move

so, which does fit recommend, and why?

also, why do both routines emphasize squats so much? I don't want my quads to blow up disproportionately to the rest of my body, but I also know absolutely nothing compared to rippletits and the SL guy about lifting, so im prepared to trust them over my own fears. However, my thighs are already pretty fat and i think my hips are wider than usual, so growing my upper body more than my legs would be more ideal

finally, should i throw in some accessory isolation lifts in there as well? What about ab routines a few times a week?
>>
>>35096780
bump?
>>
I chose SL because i think 5x5 works better, and I can't power clean.

do SL its simple and works.
>>
>>35096991
how is your progress and over how much time? how was your diet? and did you do SL by the book exactly or throw some other things in there as well?
>>
>>35096780
I did SL for a couple months but switched over to The Greyskull LP. It's great for learning the lifts, plus the app is conveniant. Plus you don't have to read a book like some other nerds ;)
>>
I recommend SS with accessories. I'm personally not a fan of power cleans so I replaced them with pendlay rows.

3x5 will net you faster strength gains than 5x5, which is the whole point of you being on a strength routine anyway. As long as you add in sufficient accessories for upper body and a few for lower (RDL's) and don't do anything stupid like GOMAD, you'll get stronger and start looking better. SS + accessories is great for a beginner.
>>
>>35097130
what accessories do you recommend?

and why is 3x5 better than 5x5? at the same weight wouldnt 5x5 be better?

im assuming youre saying 3x5 is better because youre also assuming that means id lift heavier weights than if i were doing 5x5?
>>
>>35097234
Yes. Less reps overall means you'll be handling more weight. Since a lot of a beginners strength gains come from neurological adaptations that result from handling heavy ass weight, you'll gain strength faster on 3x5 than 5x5.

As far as accessories, off the top of my head I'd recommend: ez+hammer curls, weighted dips, RDL's, lateral+front raises, cable flyes, face pulls, tricep extensions, and ab wheels.

Obviously don't do all those every day. Split them up between the workouts.
>>
>>35097280
does it matter that much where the accessories go? i mean since it's (i think) full body every lift day it shouldnt matter right?

also, should i really be squatting every day?
>>
I've been doing SL for 2 months. 50kg squat/70kg deadlift/40kg bench

Is it okay to switch everything to 3x5 like SS? It'll essentially be the same except for rows. 5x5 is so exhausting...
>>
>>35096780
Read about both routines, what are your goals? This question doesnt deserve a fuckin thread because you are too lazy to do your own research and make your own conclusions and find it by yourself, dont expect that a chinesse imageboard is going to solve your shit
>>
>>35097409
the program tells you to squat every day because you can progress on the squat doing it every day
>>
>>35096780
Honestly dude it doesn't matter, especially at the very beginning. Programs don't actually matter until you're an intermediate lifter or have had time in the gym for a while. For now, as long as you stimulate the muscle and eat at a caloric surplus you'll grow.

That being said, SS seems to be the tried and true tested method by most.
>>
>>35097409
Not a huge deal where you throw the accessories. Squat everyday at first. Squats are really important for general strength. Once/if you begin to suspect that your lower body is starting to out pace your upper than either add more upper body isolations or chill out on squats. I've never understood people who blame SS for turning t-rex mode. Did they never look at themselves in the mirror and see themselves starting to become disportionate?

>>35097423
Yeah, you're better off switching to 3x5 anyway.
>>
Bill Starrs "The Strongest Shall Survive" routine. It's light years better than SS/SL in that it's an actual routine and you do different intensities on different days and don't just go fullretard and do a new five rep max on everything every workout until you stall out or injure yourself.

It's also actually been used with success in conditioning athletes for years, unlike SS and SL which aren't really used by any athletics program.
>>
>>35097542
>conditioning athletes
>as in people already in shape and who can't benefit from a linear progression routine

OP isn't asking for advice on training for the NFL, mang.
>>
>>35097577
It's for high school freshman who joined the football team...
>>
>>35096780

I haven't done SS so I can't speak for it. Currently I'm 3 months into a tweaked version of SL (I only do squats on 1 day rather than both, I do accessory lifts, and I do sit ups and push ups because they're part of my mandatory fitness test).

Before this I was doing calisthenics and had no real muscle mass, I started at the lowest recommended weights.

At about week 4-5 I noticed me traps were actually visible, something I had never seen before. I've enjoyed the routine and won't consider switching to something else until I completely stall on all my lifts for 3 straight weeks. If I move on to something else it's going to because I'm sure I've taken everything I can from SL.
>>
>>35096780

Trappy has a good explanation on why SL is inferior.
http://desustorage.org/fit/thread/35061119/#35061468

>>35097130

>I'm personally not a fan of power cleans so I replaced them with pendlay rows.

>replacing a legs exercise with a back exercise
>>
>>35097679
Yes, but power cleans also do a good job of hitting the traps which i didnt want to lose out on. Rows are a good enough alternative.
>>
>>35097679
Is there any good app that i could use for my workouts other than SL then? I have horrible sense of time and my phone is shit so its hard to type my stuff, before i started using the SL app i would probably have an extra 20 minutes in the gym
>>
>>35096780
http://oldschooltrainer.com/reg-parks-beginner-routine/
Try advice from someone who actually had strength and a glorious physique.
>>
protip:

>it doesn't matter
>>
if you do SL, realise that you will not be able to keep it up forever.

when the volume starts to exhaust you and youre failing the last set of a lift every time, move down to SS.
>>
>>35097893
This. Do 5x5 SL+accessories, when you stall switch immediately to 3x5, don't get Medhi-jewed into a deload. When you stall again on all of your lifts switch to an intermediate routine.
>>
>>35096780

SL is significantly easier for a beginner, because it doesn't have the cleans.

Cleans are not hard, but your gym has to be set up for them or else everyone is going to complain about it, even if you're not making a lot of noise.
>>
>>35098050

You don't need any special set-up to do power cleans, just don't drop the fucking bar when doing them. It's not that hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drttm5r66A
>>
File: rippetoe1.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
rippetoe1.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>35098039
I did this for my squats and it has been helping a lot, stalled at 235, went down to 3x5 now hitting 285.

I did SL for about a year and a half , but a good 8 months of that was off and on and learning proper form. I started from the bar on every lift, so technically I'd give it a year of SL . Also fell for the cutting meme.

Back on track and very close to a 1/2/3/4

I am really addicted to squatting 3 times a week, and that's why I haven't changed programming after 1.5 years.
>>
Push/pull is the best.
Push
>Squat
>bench
>ohp
>some tricep and additional chest work
Pull
>Deadlift
>pull ups
>pull downs and rows
>bicep curls
/Thread
>>
>>35098140

Except deadlifts also train your legs and hips a lot, so they shouldn't be separate from squats.
>>
>>35098161
I always do them on different day than squats because
>it takes a whole lot of time to squat, Dl, bench and OHP in one workout
>DL trains your back a lot, so it would be hard to train DL on for eg. Monday and back on tuesday

Im at 2/3,5/4,5/5 now. This works great for me atleast.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.