[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im doing SS. When i get to squats, i might take breaks of up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1443129406893.jpg (245 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1443129406893.jpg
245 KB, 500x667
Im doing SS. When i get to squats, i might take breaks of up to 4 minutes between sets.

Is this bad / harmful in any way?
>>
File: 1361708322162.gif (42 KB, 90x115) Image search: [Google]
1361708322162.gif
42 KB, 90x115
>How long should I rest between sets, exercises, and during warmups?

This is a strength program first, and a "mass and conditioning program" second. As such, you rest as long as necessary between sets.

During the warmup, rest between sets will be minimal. You want to get blood into the area, raise the temperature of the associated musculature and connective tissue, take some time to practice the exercise with lighter weights, and increase tissue elasticity. With the usage of light(er) weights during your warmups, you can use a shortened rest period. Usually you need only rest as long as it takes to switch out the plates. However, once you get to the "meat and potatoes" of your workout (i.e. the "3x5 work sets"), you rest as long as necessary.

At first you can probably get by with no more than 2-3 minutes between sets. However, once the weights start getting heavier, you may take upward of 5 minutes between sets. Near the end of your training cycle, especially when you are setting PRs (personal records) in the squat, deadlift, and power clean you could be resting upward of 7 minutes.

Resting between exercises is not something you really need to worry about. For example, you are trashed from your squats, and you have bench presses next. Well glory be to God. While your legs (and possibly breathing and overall body) recover from the squats, you are lying down on the bench, happy as a pea in a pod.

Again, don't overthink rest periods between sets or exercises. Move between exercises as quickly as you can, however, DO NOT compromise your performance. If you can get 5 reps after resting 2 minutes, but only 4 reps if you rest 90 seconds, then rest 2 minutes. If you need to rest 3 minutes in order to get that 5 rep set, then rest 3 minutes. If you need 7 minutes of rest before you can reasonably get the 5th rep, then take all 7 minutes. Strength and weight-on-the-bar increases are more important than your heart rate/body temp while lifting weights.
>>
>>35089217
not at all
when i squatted 385x5 my body simply demanded 7-8 minutes if rest between sets

take your time on heavy sets
stuff like curls, side delts, etc. are usually done with 45s-1.5min of rest (depending on weight adn reps)
>>
>>35089217
You aren't doing the program because you didn't read the book
>>
>>35089248
Not him but Thanks
>>
>>35089335
you dont need to read the book to do a bunch of 3x5s
>>
File: shek.jpg (202 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
shek.jpg
202 KB, 717x880
>>35089217

This is from Practical Programming.

>The time between sets is an important variable in workout configuration. Several exercise organizations recommend 30 seconds to 2 minutes between sets. If strength gains are the primary training objective, rests of greater than 2 minutes are not only okay, but quite necessary. While partial recovery from anaerobic exercise is rapid, complete recovery doesn’t occur for several minutes, depending on several individual factors such as the intensity of the set, the fatigue and nutritional status of the lifter, as well as the trainee’s age, the temperature of the facility, and injury status. Competitive strength and power athletes often use rests between sets of 10 minutes or more, depending on the load. In contrast, if muscle hypertrophy is the only concern, rests of 45 seconds or less are often used. If training is designed to increase muscular endurance and conditioning, very little, if any, rest is taken between the sets of different exercises.

>It is also important to consider which sets the rest occurs between. Warm-up sets function as preparation for work sets, and they should be approached with this in mind. The lightest warm-ups will not be heavy enough to produce any fatigue, and no rest need be taken longer than the time it takes to load the bar for the next set. As they get progressively heavier, more time should be spent between warm-up sets. Remember: warm-ups facilitate work sets – they should not interfere with them. If three heavy sets across are to be done after warm-up, 15 warm-up sets done as fast as possible up to 5 pounds away from the work set would obviously be counterproductive, since the fatigue produced by the warm-up would interfere with the work-set intensity.

These two goyim
>>35089248
>>35089324
are correct
>>
>>35089697
Ignore the le leddit image I don't know how that got there.
>>
File: 1446424224740.png (371 KB, 700x731) Image search: [Google]
1446424224740.png
371 KB, 700x731
Anonie ostatnie sortie. Skończyły mi się wiaderka.
>>
>>35089217
I am perfectly straight, but every time I see this picture I want to bury my face in his crotch and inhale deeply.
>>
>>35089217
Why my mouth is watering just by looking at that bulge?

No homo
>>
>>35090721
>>35090730
no-homo hivemind
>>
I do 5 minute rests on squats and deads. I need it to be honest.
>>
>>35089619
says the one who will complain about the program because he didn't read the book
>>
>>35089217
>SS
>not Greyskull LP II edition
shoo shoo gains goblin
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.