[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can exercise cure mental health/depression? Drugs don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: pepe.jpg (17 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
17 KB, 385x385
Can exercise cure mental health/depression? Drugs don't work. Help.
>>
>>35088414
It's not a cure, but it is a treatment. In combination with medication, cognitive behavioural therapy and a decent support network exercise and diet can make a big difference to how you feel.
>>
Yeah exercise releases endorphins, aka the happy drug. More happy = less sad. Also being strong and healthy feels amazing.
>>
Well it did help for me. You get the feeling of succes when lifting more than last week. Also being outside helps a lot just walk 20-30min everyday.
>>
>>35088414
Not really if your brain is broken and you don't just have meme depression.

Then you need medication as an initial boost to pull you out of the depths.
>>35088432
>>35088439
None of these will occur if you have neurological depression, as the whole reason you're sad is that your brain can't release these chemicals.
>>
>>35088458
Yes they will, exspecially if youre taking medication also. I have a clinical depression and working out/walking makes me feel better. I strugle to get outside but when I do I feel better.
>>
>>35088414
OP do you have depression? i know about an interesting study they did at the hospital i work at.
>>
>>35088480
>if youre taking medication also
That's exactly what I was saying lad. Exercise on its own won't do anything if you're actually clinically depressed.
>>
Cold showers. Go take one now, and then the next day and then the next day. Do it. Do it now.
>>
>>35088414
u sir, haven't tried the right drug
>>
>>35088414
It can help, it may not help but it has the possibility of helping. It helped me.

>>35088458 is going too far and being too simplistic, it's true that real and not meme depression requires some help to get up but exercise still might help you. It's not only internal factors that make you depressed, just like its not only genetics that determine who you are (as the environment will help determine how certain genes are expressed in the first place).
>>
>>35088483
Transcranial magnetic stimulation?
>>
>>35088510
Nah m8, neurological depression just is not dependent on external factors. Sure they can compound and worsen how you feel, but you're still not going to get anywhere without professional help, though of course exercise is always desirable as it adds more structure to your life and a healthier life is always good.

The fact is that clinical depression is caused by a neurological defect, though a reaction to external factors, such as a break up, a death in the family and so on mimics the symptoms, this is a completely NORMAL reaction and will most likely come to pass. A clinical depression on the other hand does not necessarily need any point of origin whatsoever, as it is caused by a malfunction in the brain.
>>
>>35088483
Nope, sleeping study, 80% of people showed no signs of depression after 3 days
>>
>>35088538
meant to reply to you
>>35088568
>>
>>35088491
Oh yeah sorry didnt read your whole post.
>>
>>35088568
neat, link to study?
>>
>>35088568
post it
>>
So basically exercise may help this shitty situation.

Thanks for the answers anons.

>>35088483

Yes unfortunately

>>35088503

Will try.
>>
>>35088593
Whoops sorry, 60% showed no signs not 80%, and still no signs after half a year. I have not yet read the study, just had my coworker tell me about it. Patients were admitted for a week, and had to stay awake for 3 whole days straight.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25689725
>>
>>35088596
see
>>35088626
>>
File: äyy lmäo's.jpg (12 KB, 326x272) Image search: [Google]
äyy lmäo's.jpg
12 KB, 326x272
>>35088626
I used to stay up 3-4 days at a time too on amphetamine.
Didn't cure shit
>>
>>35088644
That is also not how the study was conducted, but perhaps your addiction is what's feeding your depression anon?
>>
>>35088650
I don't take the stuff anymore but it certainly has messed me up good.
>>
>>35088414

Get a bf.
>>
>>35088657
What other paraphernalia has your doctor tried, besides drugs?
>>
25 replies and mention of cardio?

Yes, cardio can help with mental health/depression.

I'm the happiest man in the world when I come back from my 45 minutes daily jogging.
>>
>>35088414

yes, it can. im living proof.

before I smoked, ate shitty food, and was fat.

now I have muscle, my cut is going well, and I have the desire to be better than other people. I want to be at my best, for me.

girls? who gives a fuck. train hard cause you want to be at your peak.
>>
Working out and forcing myself to think positive shit and spin negative thoughts into more positive ones hasn't cured me, but I don't think about wanting to die constantly, and I actually smile and want to do stuff a little more.

That sense of progress is nice. Eating better is good for your mental state too.
>>
>>35088844

adding to this, people in general treat you 100x better when you are fit.

it's a vain world out there. if you look better, you are going to get better treatment from everyone, girls or guys. it's almost mind blowing how different people treat you in all honesty. so there is added motivation.

but still, fuck what other people think. train hard cause you want to look sick in the mirror.
>>
>>35088885
I also used to be fat and losing the weight has given me some confidence.
>>
>>35088414
It did for me
Other variables that might be important were that I ate a healthy diet, avoiding processed sugars/foods - still eating fast food like arby's from time to time and drinking soda every once in a while, but an emphasis on peanut butter and bananas (was broke).
inb4 someone tries to argue with me for the sake of argument
>>
>>35088414
You just have to find a way to live with it. There is no cure if you're clinically depressed. For me I try to surround myself with things that make me happy and I try to do the things I want to do more often than not. I've moved to a nice area where its warm all year round and go to the gym. Weather has a huge impact on mental health, getting sun is important. Keeping busy also helps me too. The less time I have to sit around feeling sorry for myself the better imo.
>>
File: Nov-11-28-00-46-28.jpg (167 KB, 1052x1545) Image search: [Google]
Nov-11-28-00-46-28.jpg
167 KB, 1052x1545
>>35088935
also, this is my body now and I smoke weed any time I can get my hands on it
don't let ppl shill you off God's greatest plant
It only makes you lazy if you let it
You just need willpower to fight the munchies etc.
>>
looking great in the mirror is the best medicine

that might sound cliche but it really says something when you EARN a nice body through hard work. it isnt just vanity, it's a product of hours in the gym. you deserve it, so get in there and build a body you want to show off.

dont be like an average pleb. never settle for average.
>>
>>35088955
I'd rather not smoke something that makes my psychosis worse. Weed can also help to develop a psychosis in some people.
>>
>>35088414
It helps if you stop being a little bitch
>>
>>35088873
Shut up shitbag.
>>
File: 1444770451571.jpg (77 KB, 460x628) Image search: [Google]
1444770451571.jpg
77 KB, 460x628
>tfw start lifting
>now even more depressed because of my weak stats compared to everyone on fit

most people outlift me after 2 months, ive been working out for 7
>>
>>35088995
that's if the cbd to thc ratio is out of whack
they started emphasizing thc when breeding much more, as opposed to the cbds, which have an anti-psychotic effect.
weed is still much safer than most drugs if you stick to the bud, as opposed to dabs, wax, hash, etc.
Most people just don't know how to pace themselves, you don't always need to smoke a whole joint.
I usually seek refuge in the bud when stressed out, in pain, or when nature is calling me.
And desu, you might have a third eye that's opening when using weed
So you might not actually be going crazy
You might unknowingly be becoming more spiritually aware.
>>
>>35089000
Don't be a mean little birdie.
>>
>>35088955

how many years working out bro? looking awesome
>>
>>35089105
since high school but seriously training, probably 3 years
>>
>>35088414
Don't underestimate a good sleep schedual. Go to bed when it's dark and go up before noon, and make sure to get your 8 hours
>>
>>35089023
Just gotta focus on yourself, breh. As long as the numbers go up you know you're gonna make it.

Maybe try to eat more.
>>
>>35090416
>>35089023
And sleep. Sleep is so fucking important
>>
It takes your mind off of the shit that's stressing and depressing you for a little while.

Get a bike and look on google earth around where you live. Find a neat place and go there. Next time, pick a place that's farther away.

I don't feel like I want to die when I'm out riding somewhere.
>>
Yes

t. Formerly suicidally depressed anon
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.