[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone do weighted carries in their routine? Was thinking of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: thumb_farmer_s-walk-strongman.jpg (79 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
thumb_farmer_s-walk-strongman.jpg
79 KB, 550x366
Anyone do weighted carries in their routine? Was thinking of dedicating two days a week to them since they apparently build full body strength, great endurance, and are awesome for your entire back, which I am mostly focusing on. Shit like farmer walks, duck walks, box carries, yokes etc
>>
>>35083674
I love heavy carries. My gym doesn't have the equipment though so I only get to do them once a month or so.
>>
>>35083701
What types do you normally do? Volume? What days do you do them on? Sorry, just trying to add them to my routine and looking for advice
>>
>>35083674
farmers walk is a really fun exercise, great for traps, forearms, grip strength. farmers walk up and down hills or stairs are an excellent variant.
>>
>>35083718
Farmers, yoke, sandbags mostly. The advice is to always go light and long, but I can't help myself from going heavy sometime.
>>
I lift for aesthetics
>>
Dumb question, what's the difference between farmer's walks and simply standing still whilst holding the weight? I hear farmer's walks are great for core and grip strength, but my gym is hella small and I feel like I would still make gains just by holding the weights in place. Same principle as when people say to hold the bar after your last DL rep, right?
>>
>>35083674

I don't see the need to dedicate whole days to them (I do one event day a week - usually 1-2 carrying movements, one loading and maybe some pulling or pressing), but they're useful things if you enjoy hating life.

My approach is pretty much the opposite of >>35083872 though. I'm all about short trips and a lot of them, either for speed or weight.
>>
>>35084618
try walking in a treadmill when your gym is small or busy.
>>
>>35083674
Yeah. Shopping groceries
>>
>>35084729

Or don't. Most treadmills are only rated to 300lbs or so - you'll break shit trying to do farmers walks with enough weight for your grip or core to matter.
>>
File: received_10203599381611505.jpg (27 KB, 242x604) Image search: [Google]
received_10203599381611505.jpg
27 KB, 242x604
>>35083674
Miķě Paťoñ used to buy many, many pounds of groceries for underprivileged children just so he could do almost impossible farmer walks.

What a fitness idol.
>>
>>35084618
You won't have to work nearly as hard to stabilize the weight standing still, it will become just a grip and traps hold.

Definitely do not do this
>>35084729
>>
I fucking love farmer carries, been doing them since my grip on DL started slipping. I just grabbed dumbbells and walked around the free weight section - probably looked like a retard - but whatever. Up to the max DB weight at my gym now - not really sure how to progress any more other than distance / time instead of weight. Highly recommend.
>>
>>35085306
Need to give this a try
>>
>>35085306
>>35085325
Wouldn't recommend dumbbells. You're not going to be able to get enough weight to challenge your whole body, it will just be a grip exercise.
>>
>>35084767
Man, our Natty King just gets better and better. Is there anything he can't do?
>>
>>35085346
Sure, once you reach a certain point. I'm still gassed by 95 pound DBs within 30 seconds.
>>
>>35083674
Yeah, and I've had good forearm/traps gains from doing them.
>>
>>35085346
lots of gyms have heavy dumbbells.

also if you have oly dumbbell, you can fit 12pl8 on each dumbbell, which is more than you will ever carry.

also if you do a walk for any serious length of time, grip is going to be your limiting factor regardless.
>>
Just a note that there is no carryover of grip strength from heavy carries to deadlift. If anyone is using these exercise to improve grip strength you are wasting your time. Grip strength is mostly genetic regardless of how much you train your forearms.
>>
>>35086618
>Grip strength is genetic
How could someone be so stupid?
There's tons of ways you can strengthen your grip.
- fat grips
- wrist curls
- gripmaster (strengthens your fingers)
- crush grips
Etc.
All of these will strengthen your grip and it WILL carry over, farmers walk included.
I hope for your sake you're trolling because if someone is really this retarded they should kill themselves.
>>
>>35086642
for finger strength, doing pull ups and single-arm dead hangs (while flutter kicking) on a ledge that is only an inch wide is the GOAT grip strength exercise

also anytime someone says
>______ is genetic
it means they are too stupid or lazy to train _____ properly.
>>
>>35086618
How the fuck is grip strength genetic?
Muscle physiology isn't somehow mystically different for the muscles that control the fingers and the muscles that control everything else...

Do all powerlifters/olylifters/still-rings gymnasts start with their grips?
>>
>>35086668
Whilst I agree, be careful with this and anything like rock-climbing hangboards. Very easy to get finger pulley tendonitis
>>
>>35086680
>Very easy to get finger pulley tendonitis
huh... maybe i should take it easy on that then...

i did notice the first few times i would do pullups/hangs off that tiny ledge my fingers would hurt, but after a while the pain went away as my shit got stronger....

...would it be a good idea to avoid doing weighted pull ups in such a manner?
>>
>>35086686
Start off slow and build up as with all training. It's just that you're essentially hanging by just the connective tissue, and tendons/ligaments take a metric-assload of extra time to recover compared to muscles.

I would start working the weighted pullups with smaller increment increases once you can dead hang for a good 30 seconds or so, and then do a bunch of pretty powerful, controlled standard pullups off of them. And I'm talking like, to chest height or better rather than just to under the chin. However, if you're doing weighted pullups to be stronger, I'd focus on adding more weight to those on a standard bar. It's overall safer and you will probably be capable of doing more reps which is more beneficial.
>>
>>35086642
See you can do all that, but again, it won't have any carry over to the deadlift. Try to keep up
>>
File: VgRiyHF.jpg.png (515 KB, 380x571) Image search: [Google]
VgRiyHF.jpg.png
515 KB, 380x571
I live about one and a half kilometers uphill from a big grocery store, so I just walk there and carry my heavy ass grocery bags uphill. Shit works.
>>
>>35086894
When i deadlift I grip the bar with my hands. What do you use?
>>
I haven't seen anyone mention these puppies yet, here's the sickening man David Troutt showing his grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2-qFxTxhc

I can hold a 25 for about 6 seconds on my right and 4-5 on left before I start dropping it on my foot, I can also hold my shitty 300x5 deadlift double overhand without issues. When I first started I could barely hold 200x5 deadlifts double overhand and was using 15lbs dbs for that
>>
>>35083872
my nigga

My favorite loaded carry Is a keg filled with water. My least favorite are hussefel stones
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.