[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is alcohol a good means to manage anxiety? What about insomnia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
Is alcohol a good means to manage anxiety? What about insomnia? Any recommendations on what to drink? Wine? Beer?
>>
>>35076543
Nononononononononono
>>
No, alcohol will make your anxiety worse in the long run, and it will give you shitty sleep.

Go to a fucking doctor. Don't self-medicate with substances.
>>
>>35076543
That is a road you do not want to go down OP

Source: Someone who went down it
>>
>>35076543

i might be in the minority here but im way more social and alpha to girls when im drinking
>>
>>35076558
I already have Klonopin. Stopped taking my ssri a month ago. Having strange symptoms. My doctor doesn't think I have ms or ALS. Should I listen to him? He referred me to a neuro for an evaluation. Also I'm thinking of getting an ambien or Xanax script. My anxiety is out of control.
>>
>>35076565
>i might be in the minority here but im way more social and alpha to girls when im drinking
See >>35076563
Slippery slope anon.
>>
Op here again. I had an alcohol problem in college so I quit. I think I can manage it now. What if I only have a few drinks a day or only at night?
>>
>>35076611
me again >>35076563

Are you stupid? We both know neither of us can just stop a a few drinks or one or two at night.

We both know it doesn't work like that
>>
>>35076611
>I had an alcohol problem in college so I quit. I think I can manage it now. What if I only have a few drinks a day or only at night?
Alcoholism can not be 'managed'. Please don't. A few drinks a day is bad.
>>
Drink for fun if you want to but don't be under any illusions. Alcohol sedates but your sleep will be disturbed. Not effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2tZH5N1ZM
>>
File: nna.jpg (62 KB, 811x815) Image search: [Google]
nna.jpg
62 KB, 811x815
>>35076543
8 8 8 i 8 8/8
>>
>>35076611
>only have a few drinks a day

Sounds like you still have a problem.
>>
>>35076563

you probably became a raging alcoholic

moderation, anon
>>
>>35076658
This.
>>
I personally find nicotine manages anxiety more than anything else. I think particularly since I don't smoke regularly, having a cigar once a month or so really chills me the fuck out.

I hate the effects of alcohol on my body. Enjoy the flavour - love exploring the complexities and unique characteristics of different varieties of spirits, wine, and beer. But if I have more than 1 I start to feel it. And I hate that feeling.
>>
>anxiety
push out of your comfort zone

>alcohol
5htp
>>
>>35076543
No but meth is pretty great
>>
>>35076543

l-theanine
kava kava
ashwaghanda
rhodiola
>>
I sleep well if the night before I slept badly or not at all

So usually I stay awake 40 hours and then get my night sleep the third day
>>
>>35076814
That sounds healthy
>>
>>35076823
>fit
It works for me and check this out, I gain around 8 hours more every three days! So by the end of the year I have gained around 1000 h more, around 41 days, more than a month of life per year!
>>
Absolutely not. Go find what is causing your anxiety and fix your pattern of thought.
I suggest 1xweek psychotherapy. Give it time too
>>
>>35076543
phenibut you crusty ass faggot
>>
>>35076543
Alcohol self-medication is 100% a shit idea and is quite literally anti-muscle.

Alcoholic here, trust me. Don't fucking do it.
>>
>>35076543
>s alcohol a good means to manage anxiety?
it doesn't help with my anxiety at all and only makes me spill more spaghetti because of slurred speech so I only drink alone
>>
>>35076651
supreme meme
>>
>>35076684
>5htp
Fucking useless.
>>
>>35076869

+1
>>
>>35076543
you don't achieve REM sleep when intoxicated so your are neither rested or recovered afterwards
>>
>>35076543
Not sure about anxiety, but don't fucking use it for insomnia. I'm not alcoholic, but I used to drink to get better sleep and now I have really hard time falling asleep sober. I'm using some herbs now and they help but not enough, I still have to wait like 1-2 hours to actually fall asleep. And I wake up in the middle of night to piss because of these herbs (not to mention I piss a lot before going to sleep). If you are alcoholic and then start recovering I read that in most cases it is even impossible to get your sleep schedule back on track.
>>
>>35078170
Excellent for ecstasy users though.
>>
>>35076869
>Literally more addictive than horse

No thanks.
>>
>>35080236
talk to your doctor about sleep aids like trazodone, the downside is you'll sleep for like 12 hours and be tired throughout the day. Alternatively, you could take antidepressants to treat anxiety issues you may be unaware of which in turn will help you sleep
>>
>>35080318
Trazodone is an antidepressant.
>>
>>35080326
it is in larger doses, but they were finding patients basically lied in bed all day because it makes you sleepy as shit, so they use it as a sleep aid
>>
>>35080302
>horse
>i call heroin horse instead to seem street wise and mysterious, but dont worry girls ive never tried anything harder than Bud Light ;)))

Phenibut is not more addictive than heroin or any opiate, or alcohol for that matter.

All you have to do is not abuse the fuck out of it and taper when you stop.
>>
>>35076543
Have a beer in the morning, and three at night.
>>
>>35076797
Besides kava those do fuck all. Kava sucks too though, it takes too fucking long to make, its effects are way too short acting, it tastes fucking disgusting, and it feels like being drunk and huffing diesel fuel at the same time.
>>
>>35080501
Word phenibut is great i dose once in the mroning. I still drink at night though..
>>
>>35076543
insomnia is the worst way to manage anxiety
>>
if you gotta drink OP, stick with vodka and scotch.

Mix it with soda water or drink it straight. Maybe mix it with diet soft drink if you have a sweet tooth.

At ~60Kcal per 30mls it possible to have 2-3 drinks a day and still hit your macros.

Do not drink wine, beer or any sort of pre-mixed drink. The alcohol to calorie ratio is just fucked.

However, as other anons have said you are never just going to stop at 2 or 3 drinks and self-medicating with alcohol is a shitty idea. If you have anxiety you need to confront the underlying cause.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 222x662) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 222x662
>>35080651
Pic related

Chin up OP, we are all gonna make it.
>>
>>35076543
Yes. You should be downing at least 18 beers a day to start and work up to 40. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to deal with your problems sober. Trust me, I made this mistake once up until I was 14 but then I found alcohol and I've been drunk ever since. Never been happier!
>>
>>35080615
Thats stupid, dont do that. Phenibut stays in your system for a long time and it will make the alcohol hit you way harder . It would also be pretty hard on your GI tract and kidneys to be consuming both every day.
>>
>>35076578
>stopped taking SSRI
>uses klonopin
>self medicating with alcohol
all of these are pants on head retarded things to do. go back to your fucking doctor or find a new one.
>>
>>35080673
Tiny image.
But, the best bang for your buck and your gut is Everclear or any other sort of unflavored grain alcohol.
>>
>>35080736
Taking an SSRI is fucking retarded though, they are no more effective than a sugar pill and can have horrible side effects. Men often get sexual side effects too.

When i took zoloft it became incredibly hard to orgasm and i was often impotent. When i was finally came off it i developed terrible premature ejaculation and my semen output went down to a drop usually smaller than a pea. I also developed bad SSRI discontinuation syndrome(withdrawals but pharm companys lobbied to get it called something less scary).

Fuck taking that shit, ever.
>>
>>35076543
Anyone else feel fucking great mentally and physically after sleeping with a few beers on board?
>>35080823
SSRI's do help a lot of people, just not treatment resistant depression.
I've been on every SSRI since age 8. (My liver fucking metabolises them rapidly, to the point where my doctor had me on 800mg of zoloft for a few months, only to get a blood level that a normal person would have when taking 75mg)

The only thing that's helped has been modafinil and other stims, but there really isn't a AD that works effectively for most people who's depression is treatment resistant.

Some people have been saved by self treatment with psilocybin mushrooms and ketamine/ketamine analogs though.
I'm placing some hope in this, because my insurance won't let me have modafinil any more and the come downs from amphetamines kill me.
If you're in an area where they are doing drug trials for new drugs to treat depression, give them a go.
>>
File: shame.jpg (51 KB, 540x388) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
51 KB, 540x388
bait?
>>
>>35080890
>Anyone else feel fucking great mentally and physically after sleeping with a few beers on board?
same here. I used to get really bad hangovers even after just a few drinks when I was drinking infrequently, but ever since I drink every Friday and Saturday I can almost finish a 1l bottle of hard liquor between noon and midnight and feel really good when I wake up
>>
>>35080890
>SSRIs help a lot of people

No more than giving them a placebo would mate, look it up. I didnt even need an antidepressant to begin with, my idiot veterans hospital psych mistook me feeling like dog shit from a tough deployment and horrible home life for clinical depression.
>>
>>35081030
Okay m8
>>
>>35081030
>No more than giving them a placebo would mate, look it up
just looked it up and you're wrong:

Two meta-analyses published in 2008 (Kirsch) and 2010 (Fournier) found that in mild and moderate depression, the effect of SSRIs is small or none compared to placebo, while in very severe depression the effect of SSRIs is between "relatively small" and "substantial".[3][8] The 2008 meta-analysis combined 35 clinical trials submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before licensing of four newer antidepressants (including the SSRIs paroxetine and fluoxetine, the non-SSRI antidepressant nefazodone, and the serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) venlafaxine. The authors attributed the relationship between severity and efficacy to a reduction of the placebo effect in severely depressed patients, rather than an increase in the effect of the medication.[8] Some researchers have questioned the statistical basis of this study suggesting that it underestimates the effect size of antidepressants.[9][10]
A 2010 comprehensive review conducted by NICE concluded that antidepressants have no advantage over placebo in the treatment of short-term mild depression, but that the available evidence supported the use of antidepressants in the treatment of dysthymia and other forms of chronic mild depression.[11]
A 2012 meta-analysis of fluoxetine and venlafaxine concluded that statistically and clinically significant treatment effects were observed for each drug relative to placebo irrespective of baseline depression severity.[12]
In 2014 the U.S. FDA published a systematic review of all antidepressant maintenance trials submitted to the agency between 1985 and 2012. The authors concluded that maintenance treatment reduced the risk of relapse by 52% compared to placebo, and that this effect was primarily due to recurrent depression in the placebo group rather than a drug withdrawal effect.[13]
>>
lol @ all the clueless morons who think psychiatry is healthier than alcohol
>>
>>35081058
Not very convincing and the vast majority of people who take antidepressants dont need them, 1 in 10 americans take an SSRI, thats fucking retarded and should be recognized as malpractice. Ive met some folks who have real depression too, SSRIs dont seem to do a fucking thing for them. They didnt work either for you did they?
>>
>>35081097
Fucking this, alcohol is terrible for you but so are psychiatric drugs.

If you must do one go for Alcohol, its cheaper and you'll be fun to be around.
>>
>>35081275
drugs like diazepam are cheap as hell and won't fuck up your liver like alcohol. benzo addiction is a bitch though
>>
>>35081372
Its actually pretty hard to fuck up your liver drinking, you gotta really try.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.