[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Most barbell exercises can be substituted with their dumbbell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
"Most barbell exercises can be substituted with their dumbbell equivalent, or vice versa, and achieve the same training effect. As a beginner, you may find it easier or more comfortable to work with dumbbells, and this is fine. The only exceptions are squats and deadlifts, because it can be difficult to get enough weight on dumbbells without making it very awkward."

From the sticky.

Suggest compounds movements with DB, I'm rewriting my routine.

All I have down for now is doing curls/military presses as a compound. And a question: if I do a compound movement, does a rep count for 2? I mean, since I do two movements, really, should I go for 4 reps instead of the usual 8?

What's a compound movement for triceps using DB?

And yes, I'm the anon from yesterday, who posted his routine. Thanks for all the input, it has made a difference, I'll train differently from now on (no more rounds, I'll do sets through and through).

And a last question: when it comes to squats and situps, why shouldn't I do these on days when I work my upper body? Provided I have enough energy left. I've never done a "leg day" and I don't know how that'd go.

And keep in mind I have neither gym nor BB available. All I have are DB.

Thanks in advance.

Pic-related.
>>
And another question about abs and obliques: should I go for 20 reps or should I do the same as with arms: 8 reps with weights?

I generally go for 40 reps with situps but always have to stop at 20 for a break, then at 30, then at 35. It halves itself damn precisely. Is this good, bad, less efficient than doing something else?

Should I carry some DB on me while doing situps?

Any other exercise I can do at home to work my abs and obliques?

I'm about to work out soon, so I may not respond, but I'll read it all. Thank you.
>>
File: redeyedblackguy.jpg (21 KB, 355x236) Image search: [Google]
redeyedblackguy.jpg
21 KB, 355x236
1x5 deadlifts are actually just one rep because it is a compound movement.
>>
>>35074948
>What's a compound movement for triceps using DB?

You don't even know what a compound movement is ffs, a compound movement that uses triceps would be db bench or standing db press
>>
>>35074948
What do you think a compound movement is?
>>
>>35077253

It's a movement that uses two joints, excluding the wrist.
>>
>>35074948
Compound movements do not count as two reps. So 4 reps would not be a lot.
>>
>>35077925

But I do two moves in one if I do a bicep curl followed by a military bench press. I can't possible do 8 reps with the compound if my max is 8 reps on the isolation movements.

I managed 6 reps of the compound, which is like 12 reps of the isolated moves.
>>
>>35074948
Why are you trying to write a routine when you don't know anything? Use one of the widely accepted routines programmed by people that know what they're talking about you dumbfuck
>>
File: 84838056.jpg (68 KB, 313x600) Image search: [Google]
84838056.jpg
68 KB, 313x600
>>35074948
>>
>>35074948
Buy a BB and weights.
>>
>>35077958
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
Are you that Swiss guy from yesterday's thread?
>>
who is this guy? someone post his routine from yesterday
>>
>>35078035
>Why are you trying to write a routine when you don't know anything?

Stay positive, pal, makes me want to hear more from you.

>Use one of the widely accepted routines programmed by people that know what they're talking about you dumbfuck

I can't because most routines require equipment I don't have and can't have, so I make do with what I have. That said, this is based on what fitizens have advised me to do, so stay cool, homo.
>>
What the fuck am I reading.
>>
>>35078091

No money for it, and no room for it either. Besides, the sticky says you can do virtually everything with DB and it makes little difference.

Read the sticky, senpai.

>>35078106

You have reading issues. I've been pretty damn clear.

>>35078129

Yeppers.

>>35078150

I've actually changed it based on our thread and I'm super happy with the results. I was able to do 3 sets of each exercise more easily than previously. I've also split my stuff into upper and lower body and am currently looking for more lower body exercises to do. I've added calf-raises to my routine and I've tried skullcrushers but I need lighter weights to do those.
>>
>>35078247

>le epic pretending I don't understand because he's not using the exact words I want to hear
>>
>>35078263
>Read the sticky, senpai.

H omo filters to senpai? Really now?
>>
Shit OP you know nothig, not hating I STRONGLY suggest you to find some db routine out there while you keep learning your shit.
>>
>>35078320

If I did this, honestly, you'd tell me the exact same.

>shit routine
>you're not a senpai
>go Google some shit
>eat more oats

The fuck, does anyone actually train on here or are you guys just trolling away all fucking day long?

You guys don't even understand simple questions.
>>
>>35078129
Are you Swiss?
>>
>>35078320

>has a bunch of questions from OP
>answers precisely none
>YOU SHOULD ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS

Bravo.
>>
>>35078263
Wele kanton?
>>
>>35078381
> living in a place where gym membership allegedly costs 2000CHF
No thank you
>>
>>35078411

Vaud, not proud.
>>
>>35078362
I train, and I know what I do, ido understand your simple questions and the porblen with you is that you come to fit from all places to ask.
>muh /fit/ is a troll meem
Hee on fit actually there is a lot of god info ond diet and lifting, but also fit talks a lot of shit and judging you by your borderline mongolic questions you cant filter actual real advice from retardedness, being it on prupose or pure.
So thats why I suggest you to get out of here and lurk more in other respectable webpages before coming to this particular ukranian jet engine manufacturer forum to call us sempais because we are messing a little with you
>>35078385
All of the above + im.on my phone and have no.time for this, already took the time to gently tell him to get out of here and lurk other places until he learns some basic shit.
Man look at his questions and you tell me.
>>
>>35078539
>your borderline mongolic questions you cant filter actual real advice from retardedness, being it on prupose or pure.

The questions are meant to filter bullshit from good advice; if you can't defend your advice, it's probably bullshit. Don't blame it on my questions if you can't answer.
>>
>>35078539

>asshurted on da phone
>top kuk
>>
And in all this time, NO ONE answered OP's simple question:

> if I do a compound movement, does a rep count for 2? I mean, since I do two movements, really, should I go for 4 reps instead of the usual 8?

This really isn't hard to answer, /fit/.
>>
>>35078263
Could you share that routine?
>>
>>35078638

Old one or new one?

I'll list the exercises I do and add details later.

>bicep curls 8 reps
>military bench presses 8
>overhead French presses, behind the head, that is, 8 reps
>one-armed row presses, 8 reps
>shoulder presses, 8
>girl pushups, 10
>situps, 40
>shrugs, 20

I used to do them in rounds, and did 2 rounds. As of today, I do them per set. I was able to do 3 sets of each of these, while combining some to make compound movements, like the curls and military presses are done as one movement now, hence my question on reps, since with 4 reps I do as much volume as with 8 of each done in isolation.

That's roughly it.
>>
>>35078706

I'm going to split between upper and lower body, for starters. I skipped my squats today, because my knees are weak this week, so I spared them extra efforts.

In 2 days, I'll do a lower body workout. Give me more exercises that you think are efficient for lower body, abs and olbiques included.
>>
>>35078706
Thanks

>>35078730
-squats
-leg extensions
-leg curls
-calve raises
-plank
-russian twists
-mountain climbers
>>
>>35078879

Thank you, sir, I will study this list right this moment.
>>
>>35078879
>-leg extensions

How can I do this with no equipment other than what I have in my apartment? Tape milk cartons to my ankles?

>plank

I take this.

>Russian twists

Taken, too.

>mountain climbers

On board as well. Thanks!
>>
>>35079006

This is gonna be for leg day. Any recommendation on reps?
>>
>>35079014

And sets.
>>
>>35079006
I have a couple weight bands and thats how I do them. If you don't have them, try adding more sets or reps
>>
File: poor workout.jpg (3 MB, 3773x4000) Image search: [Google]
poor workout.jpg
3 MB, 3773x4000
>>35079006
Also, this pic might give you some ideas
>>
>>35079080

Thank you. Is this what you do on leg day?
>>
>>35079120
This is my legs day:

-Romanian Deadlifts 4×12-8
-Leg Extensions 4×12, 10, 9, 8
-Leg Curls 4×12, 10, 9, 8
-Calve Raises 4×15,12,12,10

I run 7 km 3 times a week and do a lot of hiking (average 40 - 80 kms monthly, with at least 5kg backpack, around 15 if I stay overnight in the mountain).
>>
>>35079179
>if I stay overnight in the mountain).

Damn, that's badass. Where do you live?

Also, for the leg stuff, do you do your 4 sets in a row or in rounds?
>>
>>35079281
The sets go in a row. Also, forgot to add hip thrusts and glute bridges 3 sets of 20-30 reps.

If you can do all your reps and sets easy, you need to add weight or/and add sets.

>Damn, that's badass

No it's not. Anyone can do it.

Also, I do all my workouts with a pair of DB. I live in an appartment and don't have the space for equipment. I could get a gym membership but I don't.

Try searching: "compound exercises with dumbbells", you'll get a ton of results.
>>
>>35079381
>No it's not. Anyone can do it.

Not everyone lives near mountains.
>>
File: confusecruise.webm (778 KB, 406x300) Image search: [Google]
confusecruise.webm
778 KB, 406x300
>>35077958
>>
>>35079540

I'll try to explain again.

>old routine

bicep curls 8 reps
military presses 8 reps

>new routine
compound curl/military presses 8 reps, or 4?

Since the compound movements is twice the work, should I halve the reps?
>>
>>35074948
Are you trolling? Why in hell would a compound rep count for 2 reps, seriously your logic (stupidity desu) goes beyond me. Please go back to school, work on your mind first before considering fitness because you'll fuck your shit up or train under supervision. And I'm not saying this to bring you down or something, but I'm genuinely worried for you because your common (logic) sense is lacking
>>
>>35079564
For a general routine you should do at least one (depending on your routine) compound exercise per gym session with 2 -3 accessory lifts. You total set range for each muscle group should be around to 20 -25 sets
>>
File: whatever.jpg (50 KB, 480x674) Image search: [Google]
whatever.jpg
50 KB, 480x674
>>35074948

Other people have already said no, but I'll try to type it slowly for you.

Compound exercises use multiple joints/muscles in one movement.

Squats: up then down
Deadlifts: down then up
Bench press: up then down
Overhead press: down then up

Each time you curl and then press, that's one repetition of the movement that completes the exercise.

You wouldn't count each curl as two reps because you went up then down. A repetition occurs each time you complete an exercise and return to resting position.

Combining exercises like this is common in programs like P90X, which may suit you, given your limitations in both equipment and knowledge. Even in fitness video land, each curl and press is counted as one rep, but not until they're both done.

If you're having an issue hitting your rep goals when combining exercises, you need to separate movements, or use a lower weight until you can hit those rep goals.
>>
>>35079564
Joining two exercises together doesn't necessarily result in a compound exercise. I think you have a misunderstanding in that regard
>>
you're just not understanding what a compound is, you don't just make them up by slapping two things together. you talked about bicep curl military places. This is not a proper compound. a DB military press however is a good example of a compound as it uses the shoulder joint and elbow. other compounds you could do include DB bench press, and rows, push ups, pull ups, lunges. Lunges are probably you're only chance for legs unless you buy a gym membership as bodyweight/goblet squats get too easy too quick
>>
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

Read through this whole thing, then make a routine. You have literally no idea what the fuck you are doing at the moment and every day you spend screwing around with your shitty routine is a day of wasted gains. Get educated my man.
>>
>>35078263
homo
>>
bumping hilarious thread
>>
>>35074962
Why the volume with situps? They're no different in terms of physiology compared to other muscle: you should switch to something harder if you want bigger/stronger abs. At the moment you're just in the endurance range.
>>
>>35079564
Military press is a compound exercise by itself. Bicep curls are an isolation exercise. Please look up what a compound exercise is. Good luck and godspeed.
>>
>>35078263
Skullcrushers with dbbells? You are super troll
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.