[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I might have depression, /fit/. Should I see a therapist,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: p1261489.jpg (67 KB, 401x348) Image search: [Google]
p1261489.jpg
67 KB, 401x348
I think I might have depression, /fit/. Should I see a therapist, or try to deal with it on my own?
>>
File: pepe.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>le depression meme

when will this meme die?
>>
File: 1441856157153-P-3095695.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1441856157153-P-3095695.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>35071129

do you take drugs/ drink alcohol ?
>>
>>35071141
When all frogposters kill themselves
>>
File: 1447145955363.jpg (23 KB, 630x270) Image search: [Google]
1447145955363.jpg
23 KB, 630x270
>>35071129

Just kill yourself opie. Easiest way out for you and your family.
>>
Close to 7% of Americans experienced a bout of depression in 2014. Therapists exist for a reason. Go see one, and stop seeking advice from a Vietnamese homosexual anime board.
>>
Go to an actual therapist that wants to talk. I went to my general doctor, didn't know what I was expecting, he said he could provide anti depressants, didn't want that as I wanted to conquer it. So I tried, kept it at bay for a little, and now have daily thoughts of suicide

Tl;dr seek a therapist that will help you work through your shit
>>
DO BOTH OP

>>35071354
Like this guy says. Takes an actual therapist/psychologist. Make sure to get one, probably who uses either cognitive or dialectal behavioral therapy (CBT, DBT) as these are pretty proven to be highly effective.

Talking to a therapist takes cooperation and a willingness to try his suggestions though. And a hope that it will help. It's a 24/7 thing OP.

Perhaps try looking into buddhism, or meditation, or those adult coloring books everyone is going crazy about.

Be mindful of your thoughts and emotions, and where they are stemming from. Take a moment to step back and look around, appreciate what you see.
>>
>>35071354
Are you doing okay now though?
>>
just b happy :-DD
>>
>>35071129

THERAPIST

Attempted suicide a few months ago and finally hit up my shrink for some actual help. Now every few weeks I meet up with my therapist and every day I swallow a few antidepressants. It gets better eventually OP, if you have access to the stuff, utilize it
>>
>>35072196
No, I never sought out therapy. Working out really helped but I'm in law school now and have zero time to do anything but calisthenics. Right now I'm going through a pretty bad bought of depression (daily thoughts that I'll end up killing myself in the future), but I think that's because I've got a feeling that my gf is no longer in love with me and it feels like everyone always loses interest in me but I think the holiday spirit should help a little
>>
>>35072302
people come and go man. Focus on yourself, create positivity and it will attract similar people. If you kill yourself, youre not coming back from that. NEVER AGAIN. Life is short, were all gonna die at the end so why be a coward and quit early??? Get that education, lift like you never lifted before, graduate, get a nice job and things will get easier. A lot of people would not hesitate to be in your spot right now and wish they would atleast have 1/10 of your life so don't waste it.
>>
>>35071129
"It don't stop, till the casket drop" -Tupac. Fuck your gf, finish school, become a boss and watch her beg you for attention. break up with the bitch
>>
If you were having problems with your lungs, would you just deal with it on your own? No, you'd see a fucking doctor. Why would you not do the same if you have a problem with your brain?
>>
>>35072381
I realize that relatively I'm in a pretty good position, it's just that life feels like this terrible burden that I never asked for. Every day is pushing that stone up a hill just watch it cascade back on down at the coming of the night. The gf situation is a downer but it stems deeper than that. As long as I can remember I've dealt with this and I know how to channel it and do well at my tasks. It just feels so pointless, I'll live and I'll die and the universe will continue, unaware at my existence. And I do try and counter it with what you're alluding to, every morning I have the goal of being a better person at the end of the day. I don't know man, I know I shouldn't be depressed, and that just makes me feel ever worse about it.

Thanks for the kind words though, anon. I will keep fighting

And to any anon's reading this, he is right about positivity, focus on yourself and women come crawling. Don't focus on yourself to attract them though, focus on yourself because you want to. Pour yourself into a hobby, discipline yourself in an effort to master your desires. People in general are drawn to that
>>
take a iron supplement once every other day or so, get your fish oil, and get your magnesium & Vitamin D

The important thing to remember about depression is that full on major depressive disorders are not common. It's far more likely that you have something closer to situation depression or something further up the spectrum

After getting really cognizant about the things that would set me off, I found it simple not to have suicidal thoughts and to stay energized. I still visit a therapist a few times a year because I have a family history of paranoid schizophrenia & drug abuse.
>>
>>35072550
what does the iron and magnesium do?
>>
I'd like to plug headspace and their take10 dealie. It teaches the basics of breathing meditation in 10 free sessions. Alternatively, try http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php

A good session will keep me at guard against useless and derisive thinking, while keeping me kinder to myself and others.
>>
>>35072680

Magnesium is important in test production among other things.

Iron is good for blood cells of course, but more importantly men need more iron when they workout. Some guys, like me, will start showing depression spectrum symptoms well before they hit anemia stage.

Without iron I'm a panicky asshole. With it I'm complete DGAF about your shit tier.
>>
Play atleast 1 team sport with other men
Lift 3-4x a week
Eat more calories than you need (how much above your maintenance is based on your goals)
Eat nutritious, fairly clean food most of the time
Get blood test done and make sure you aren't deficient in anything
Meditate/mindfullness 5mins a day 2x a day
Limit time on 4chan/internet in general

Almost convinced that will work for most people, it had an incredible effect on me. If you really do all that and still depressed id say see a therapist but talking about your problems wont do shit if youre sedentary and have no social outlets
>>
I'm depressed as fuck and this world is an awful place. No one will convince me otherwise. But a lot of artists, writers, philosophers, and musicians lived with chronic depression (some evening committing suicide later on in life), so it's just another facet of life I suppose.

We will never be happy, the best thing you can do is make the best of it. Therapy is overrated, you can discover more about yourself through exploring and education than paying some douchebag to tell you that (unless you're needing to see a psychiatrist for disorders; I have BPD, so it was necessary after a certain point).

Good luck, and don't stop working out.
>>
If you "think" you "might" have depression, you dont'.
>>
File: 1448500357603.png (66 KB, 469x595) Image search: [Google]
1448500357603.png
66 KB, 469x595
>>35071129
Deal with it
Find purpose. Work towards perfection. Avoid other people
A diagnosis can ruin your life. Say goodbye to all military and many other jobs, say hello to a doctor being able to send you to hell with one phone call
>>
>>35072803
this so much

also make sure you're going to bed before 12 and waking up before 9, making sure you at least get 8 hours of sleep every night

depression doesnt exist
>>
>>35072302
Law school and a girlfriend? Fuck, man, if you don't want that life any more, I'll take it

Girlfriend doesn't love you anymore? Talk with her about it,
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.