[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today doing dips I felt a sharp pain in my sternum (the middle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: sternum-injury-attorney.png (131 KB, 346x345) Image search: [Google]
sternum-injury-attorney.png
131 KB, 346x345
Today doing dips I felt a sharp pain in my sternum (the middle of my chest) and I had to stop. My chest got red and it's still hurting. What do /fit/? What is this? Never felt anything like this before.

I'm 18 and 150 lbs
>>
staph infection
>>
>>35056439
Explain?
>>
>>35056423
That's normal when you start doing dips.
>>
>>35056423
Don't go so low
>>
>>35056423
Don't let anyone troll you you just pulled it weird, one time I was doing cable flies and the same thing happened to me, went away in about a week hurt really bad.
>>
>>35056423
It's just inflammation of the cartilage and all you can do is RICE. It's not serious tho it can feel bad
>>
>>35056423
sounds like a chest impingement, very serious. your sternum could become completely stern if you do not get it checked out asap.
>>
Careful sounds a bit like chostochondritis. I'm atually about to make a thread about it!
>>
>>35056423
Sounds like a bone marrow issue OP you might need a transplant
>>
>>35056423
son
u got cancer
>>
>>35056423
Hey OP ignore the trolls, I had the same problem.
The thing is when you put your chest in that position you should still remember to wear condoms while fucking people in the ass or stop being a homosexual, then maybe you would not have to live a life with aids
>>
Maybe a cartilage inflammation.
>>
>>35056423

as other anons said, could be cartilage (costochondritis) or an intercostal muscle strain. Give it a rest from dips for a while, but you also should really stretch out your pecs when you feel better because they can cause major issues when they're tight. I had to stop doing dips for nearly a year, but now I'm pain free.

I think I read that your xyphoid process can cause this when you're younger, and as you get older it will harden and eventually stop giving you issues.
>>
>>35057080
>I read that your xyphoid process can cause this when you're younger, and as you get older it will harden and eventually stop giving you issues.
Top marks there. Young gymnasts get this all the time until like their mid twenties or so. I still get it sometimes in my late twenties.
>>
>>35057113

that must suck, the first time I had pain in the sternum I actually thought I was having a heart attack. Couldn't do anything for days afterwards. Felt like I was getting gripped by an iron fist
>>
What worked for me: Make sure you only go down until your arms form right angles and make sure that your elbows are pointing backward (should be pointing the same direction as the bars you're using).

Other than that, you're probably not strong enough. Try keeping a foot on the ground/support beam/whatever to lessen the load ever so slightly and build up to proper dips.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.