[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Complete fitness noob here, sorry if I'm being dumber t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: pure_gym2.jpg (1 MB, 3861x2574) Image search: [Google]
pure_gym2.jpg
1 MB, 3861x2574
Complete fitness noob here, sorry if I'm being dumber than a bag of hammers.

There's a PURE gym opening in my town in a couple days and I've never been to a gym and I'm kinda concerned about doing something stupid or looking ridiculous. Rather than be a pussy, figured I'd ask here before I head on down.

First off, at £11/m this gym is a third of the price of almost every other gym around here, but I've heard good things about it. http://www.puregym.com/

Can I expect a shitty level of staff training/ability, if not, how are they able to lower their price so much? Are there just no other big gym franchises yet?

I'm sure it's going to be fucking mobbed too, and I don't want to be the only dick wandering around looking at all the equipment while everyone gets into a routine. Should I literally just pick up weights and start lifting?

Is there a gym intro anywhere in the sticky?

Finally, I'm diabetic and always need to have sugar/candy to hand. Am I likely to get laughed at if I'm eating a Snickers next to workout equipment?
>>
Fitness routine links in sticky. Swap the snickers for like a cliff bar or power bar or some shit if you're really that worried bout it. You're welcome
>>
>>35053288
Discounter gyms make money primarily with people NOT working out.
So their business model is excessive marketing and getting a lot of people to sign up. So they make their money by signing more people who will never show up for training, not by offering shittier levels of training/ability than other gyms.

As long as they have barbells and free weights, you'll be good.
>>
>>35053341
This.
Or use some sugary sports drink.
>>
youll be fine mate
you are not there to make friends, just do whatever for as long as you rerack the weights

i go to a small gym in the hotel nearby, using only benches, powerrack and dumbbells
occasionally i go to some larger gym and spend 10 minutes just walking around and keking at machines
sometimes i even cant figure out how are you supposed to use it without looking on the instruction sticker
>>
>>35053288
I believe they save money from not hiring the staff to help too, they have coursed but apart from the one behind the counter, you'll probably not run in to anyone bar the cleaner.

There is one near me for 9.99/month.
>>
I'm a pure gym member up in scotland mate and the price reflects how shit it is (there is three in my city and they are all the same)

First off, dont worry about looking stupid, its full of noobs because its so cheap, so if you want to go for it, its not a bad starting point for going to the gym.

Once you make some gains and actually start lifting some numbers, move to a different gym, here's why:-

>its absolutely packed from about 6am until 10pm at night, no joke, its so busy because its so cheap, so fucking full of muslims and eastern europeans
>the highest dumbell weight is 36kg, this sounds like alot at first but once you've been lifting half a year, atleast dumbell rows and maybe chest press will be stuck at this point and you cant go higher
>one squat rack/bench press in the weights area when there's about 20 people in their and the place is tiny
>no seperate bench station
>no lifting platform
>no free space to do deadlifts
>one spare olympic bar that isnt on the sqaut/bench station but is useless anyway because there is no space to use it.

My gym was brand new when i joined and i've been to a few so i'm sure these issues are everywhere. Its not cheap for no reason.
>>
>>35053349
>>35053443
>>35053520
Yeah it seems this is their first year rollout price and it goes up to £20? after 12 months. Plus they have a joining fee of £25, so if you miss a month or two you're paying the same price as a full gym. Still good value if you're using it well though I guess.

The main thing I want is some rough shape of a plan for which pieces of equipment to find and use, but then that's what the sticky is for.

>>35053520
Makes sense. I'm up in Scotland too, in a town 15 miles from Edinburgh in a large/busy town, so I hope it'll be a little less busy than the others, but I can always arrive at 5:30am before most of the world wakes up so I'm easy.

>>35053422
Makes me feel a bit less stupid, cheers.
>>
>>35053520
Pretty much this.
Ours has 2 power racks and that's it, no seperate bench/squat rack.
Go very early or late at night.

I don't have trouble getting space for deadlifts though.
>>
File: sss.jpg (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
123 KB, 1920x1080
So it is this the euro equivalent of Planet fitness then?
>>
>>35053621
The 24/7 aspect is nice though, I get off work at 6 and don't like rushing straight to the gym seeing as all the other gyms here are like 9am-10pm
>>
File: peakhours.jpg (307 KB, 1534x873) Image search: [Google]
peakhours.jpg
307 KB, 1534x873
>>35053640
My gym opens from 5:30am til 10pm. They have a chart that shows the most popular hours.

I went once at 6pm and I will never go again. Just avoid the peak hours and you will be fine.
>>
>>35053633
not really, I go to a 24hr one in my city and it's perfectly fine. Trainers all seem reasonably nice and they have fitness challenges and stuff for the fatties
>>
>>35053670
Seems counter intuitive, they're suggesting the least amount of people work out at lunch time when most metrics show the opposite.
>>
Are you from Leicester lad? There's one opening near St George's way
>>
>>35053520
A lot of this anon's problems are endemic to his own gym though.

Obviously, premise space will differ from town to town so some Pure gyms have more space etc

also why are you doing dumbbell chest press when you have access to a power rack?

but yeah some of these gyms get absolutely crowded at specific times, usually 8-1pm and then from maybe 3-9 would be the worst

having said that, its never STOPPED me from working out. it all depends from place to place so youll just have to see when you get there
>>
>>35053633
Nah from what I've heard of planet fitness its autismo central

pure gym is just cheapo and packed with dyels desu
>>
>>35053288
There is no reason not to go and try it out for a month if not less. Worst case you lose £11. Go there, experiment see what works what doesn't while doing some research on youtube/internet/fit whatever your preferance. I go to a pure gym and pay £15 a month it's very good quality. Has many benches, bar bells, free weights from 6-50kg, many cardiovascular machines, noon machines and a lot of free space. Also the PTs and other gym users are very sound. You can talk/get advice from anyone no problem. One problem is that there are some Pakis there at certain times.
>>
>>35053288
>Can I expect a shitty level of staff training/ability
No, staff training/ability is low across the board
>>
>>35053520

Lel. I work away a bunch so I have my own weights I take with me (pain in the balls) and go to payg gyms when I can. Got a long weekend this weekend so was gonna go to the Pure Gym at Waterloo Place tomorrow. Maybe not now...
>>
I go to a puregym, nothing to worry about m8, most people at mine arent meat heads or anything, you're best getting your routine from here but staff can help with form in their strength classes
>>
>>35054255
Outside Edinburgh. They seem to be rolling out all over the UK just now.

>>35054336
Why are people complaining about pakis/muslims at gyms? Just regular dumbass prejudice I guess?

>>35054438
Right on, cheers
>>
>>35054224
Most people go to the gym according to their work/university schedules.
>>
>>35053288
>Am I likely to get laughed at if I'm eating a Snickers next to workout equipment?

christ no, i've seen guys drinking soup in the middle of a workout, eating sandwiches in the middle of bench sets, drinking coffee from a thermos while waiting for a rack to be free. saw a guy chomping his way through a 1 lb bag of jelly worms once, he saw me looking so offered me some. nobody will give a shit.

pure gyms are pretty shit but you can't go wrong with £11/month. /fit/ will laugh but if you're genuinely unsure on your first day just fuck about on machines while watching what the regulars do with the free weights, you'll soon realise everybody who lifts is a sperg and that nobody will judge you.
>>
>>35054784
>prejudice
M8 they are cringe af
>>
>>35053288

Puregym Cambridge reporting in. It's actually an OK gym. But just like everyone's said before, it's gonna be packed as fuck. Of course, this will vary from branch to branch. Mine gets pretty crowded, but even then I manage to do my workouts no problem. Don't be afraid to ask to share the power rack or something. My gym only has one, but also used to have an Olympic platform. Unfortunately that got taken away. Fuckin' Pajeets...

Anyway, don't sweat it too much. Read the sticky thoroughly, know your routine inside and out so that you know what you have to do and are going to do next, and yea, swap out the snickers for a sugary sports drink or bar or something. Good luck brah.
>>
>>35057535
This is my gym too, I was there 7:30-8:30pm today. Surprisingly quiet this evening, probably because of the rain.
Is this the bit where we meet up to suck each other off in the name of /fit/?
>>
>>35053520
Scotland too, just cancelled my membership for christmas saving. Used to be 20 squid a month for me. Mine had about 3 or 4 squat racks plus an extra big metal area people do pullups on that you could do barbell stuff with. Gotta agree though, even though the free weight area has been expanded the place is still literally completely full at around 4-7pm for me. Like sometimes I would come in and there's 30 treadmills with 30 women on them. Even I need the occasional cardio so it gets pretty fucking annoying.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.