[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MSG causes weight gain even if there is no additional increase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1
File: msg.jpg (164 KB, 620x396) Image search: [Google]
msg.jpg
164 KB, 620x396
MSG causes weight gain even if there is no additional increase in calories.
What do you have to say to that, calories in/calories out trolls?
>>
>>35051769
show me the peer reviewed RC evidence
>>
Saying you can gain energy without taking energy in literally goes against a law of physics, calories in calories out is simply a fact
>>
>>35051801
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/93/6/1328
>>35051809
Ever considered the possibility that what we know about physics isn't completely accurate?
>>
>>35051823
Energy can't come from nothing that's something we do know. weight gain = extra mass which means extra energy stored in your body which can only be accomplished by eating more calories(energy)
>>
Sodium causes weight gain even if there is no additional increase in calories.
What do you have to say to that, calories in/calories out trolls?
>>
>>35051843
Sodium makes you retain water simply.

Are you just a fat guy who needs these excuses as to why you're fat ? take your trolling elsewhere please
>>
>>35051838
Maybe it changes your body's chemistry so that the energy that would go into muscle building or maintaining instead gets stored because your body is fucked.
>>
>>35051850
Ok now i'm certain you're trolling. gg dude i'm out
>>
who the fuck puts sodium and things anyway?
>>
On the off chance that you're not a troll, and just someone that's ridiculously uneducated, the number that corresponds to "calories out", or your metabolism, isn't a set-in-stone value that never changes. Environmental or epigenetic modifications can alter that number, but the inability of people to accurately determine their BMR is by no means disproving the basic physics behind weight loss and weight gain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2270181/

Example: Thermal uncoupling in oxidative phosphorylation. This process occurs in brown adipose tissue, which can vary greatly between individuals depending on body composition. Changes in composition means changes in thermal uncoupling means changes in metabolic efficiency, or a new "calories out" number.

To be fair, I don't think we very well understand exactly how that value changes with diet and lifestyle, but the basic idea is still correct. Calories in / calories out, even if you don't know what the calories out are.
>>
>>35051854
Explain to me why that's not possible thanks
>>
>>35051871
People who want their food to taste good.
>>
>>35051879
thank fuck for someone who can think
>>
>>35051881
Because you do realize your body is an engine constantly using energy to live ? your initial claim was that msg causes weight gain and now you're claiming eating less calories can somehow decide to be stored in your body and cause weight gain, completely disregarding the fact your body is constantly burning energy to live. Basically what you're saying is what if i put diesel in my car and my car decides to run on very little fuel forever without the tank emptying because it's msg diesel.
>>
>>35051769
Because you retain more water
>>
>>35051769
I use MSG in my cooking. Shit's amazing. Chinese Food Syndrome is literally one of the first pseudo-science health movements.

Anyways, why the fuck would you care about arbitrary weight? It's all about bf%.
>>
>>35051913
>msg diesel

kek OP btfo
>>
>>35051975
Have fun with literally destroying your brain, lowering your metabolism, and causing your body to store more fat :^)
>>
>>35051769
>MSG
Enjoy your pancreatic cancer with your delicious Chinese food.
>>
>>35051990
Don't you have anything better to do than trolling ?
>>
>>35051990
Here I am enjoying my motherfucking umami while you're pretending to be retarded on a tibetian throat singing language exhange
>>
>>35052000
No, I slept till 4:30 pm last night, so I can't fall asleep, and it's 2:20 a.m so there's not much to do.
>>
Chinese people cook with MSG and they are a nation of skellies and DYELs.
>>
>>35052011
>it's 2.20 a.m

uhh how about sleeping ?
>>
>>35051769
I really wished you did not masturbate so much in basic chemistry. It is water weight, you nigga. (see creatine)
>>
>>35052024
>I can't fall asleep
I slept for 12 hours last night, woke up in the late afternoon, and didn't do anything tiring all day.
>>
>>35052031
Play some video games
>>
>>35051809
Thats not what hes saying at all faget.
Some things can make you gain or lose weight by changing your bodys response to calories dumb fuck
>>
What if MSG causes you to store water more readily? Wouldn't that account for weight gain.
>>
>>35052051
it takes energy to store shit/transport shit etc

it takes energy to do anything
>>
>>35052051
>Some things can make you gain or lose weight by changing your bodys response to calories dumb fuck

Anddddd no they can't, mr "dumb fuck"
>>
MSG is injected into rats to cause them to become obese.
http://www.msgtruth.org/obesity.htm
>>
>>35051769
It's called sodium. It makes you retain water. There's a lot f it in MSG.

BUT

If you are actually gaining weight by taking MSG without taking extra calories please contact NASA and russian space agengy because we are going TO THE STARS
>>
http://www.elitefts.com/education/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-iii-a-calorie-is-a-calorie/

This is all you need in order to understand calories in, calories out, for the rest of your life.
>>
>>35052171
As a real scientist I have to say that I really wish all nutritionist were dead.

"I could go into thing like gibs free energy"

"I have talked this over with 50 world class physicists over the last 7 years.
There are NO LAWS in science. These "laws " are OUR human abstractions and very fallible best guesses."

Yes calories are different.
Your body takes up some calories faster than others.
The microorganisms in your gut are very important (e.g. people who are used to eating lots of fiber are better at gaining some energy out of it).
Your genes are important (e.g. some people can get more energy out of some food than others).
If you cook things you get more energy out of them, despite the fact that the calories ON PAPER are the same.

TL;DR: the calories given on your food are just an approximation.
Nevertheless the cold hard truth is, that you cannot gain energy from nothing.
You are fat because you take up more energy than you expend.
And I wish that all nutritionists would just fuck off.
>>
this is literally saying things cause weight gain because they taste good
>>
>>35052258
>this is literally saying things cause weight gain because they taste good

funny thats also what the problem with fructose is too kek
>>
>>35052258
No, it's looking at scientific studies that show that diets with msg cause more weight gain than a diet with the same amount of calories and no msg.
>>
>>35052171
That's cute and all, but doesn't change the fact that if you eat less you lose weight
>>
>>35051903

so landwhales basically ?
>>
>>35051769
We have a saying in my country
One Swallow (summer bird) is not an indicator for summer

In VS out works for most cases, if anything that stuff messes with the in or out variables of the equations, like for example muscle relaxers (or other medication) do

The equation is foolproof, the variables are however fluid and can be influenced by other variables not part of the equation
>>
>>35052268
There are no such studies. Subjects can eat as many calories as they want. Plenty of studies that suggest MSG might increase appetite though.
>>
>>35052073
This is what happens when you only read the abstracts of research. The rats were fed an absurd amount MSG for their size, essentially poisoning them.
>>35052268
As another anon said, show the research. There aren't going to be any, if you actually bother to read through.
>>35052264
MSG doesn't cause you be a faggot that can't control your own eating habits. Those that were going to get fat off of MSG because it's tasty are likely to be fat from fructose anyway, like murrika.
>>
>>35051769
its called water retention fagget
>>
>>35051879
Thank you anon
>>
>>35051769
Nope, calories in/ calories out is hard science, and is arguably one of the easiest things to verify by yourself. OP is a troll.
>>
>>35051823
>Additional studies are needed to elucidate mechanisms of action and to establish causal inference.

Right there. They have no evidence that the MSG itself causes weight gain. Did it ever occur to you that perhaps the reason these people had increased MSG intake was because they were eating more food?
Did it ever occur to me that this must be bait? Not until I had finished typing.
>>
>>35055653
it would be if any matter or energy whatsoever didn't leave your body
>>
>>35055707

A study finds some implausible relationship for which there is no logical explanation and no reason to think a causal link exists other than pure coincidence.

Just goes to show how fucked up the whole scientific research construct is. If you can get a p below alpha it's "science".

And only people who have been in it long enough know this. Meanwhile legions of grad students are being handed the program and told to get busy making more science.
>>
>>35051823
>Ever considered the possibility that what we know about physics isn't completely accurate?
this bait isn't even worth an image
>>
>>35051879
This is the only smart thing in this entire thread
>>
>>>35052171
The point is that there are many variables you can manipulate.
>>
>>35051847
>water increases weight
>water has no calories
>weight can only be gained by eating more calories than you burn

the stupidity in this thread is astounding, even for the chan
>>
>>35051769
Let the number crunchers and over-cerebraters keep failing at fitness. Only an idiot would think something as complex as the human body would obey science laws so simple. Isometrics alone defies the physics laws on what defines work. Yet muscles respond to it.
>>
>>35051879
Calories put in mouth does not equal calories put in body. Anyone with half a brain will know that your digestive tract is outside the system that is your body.

Calories out cannot really be known for reasons you showed.

Therefore calories in is always unknown and calories out is always unknown so the phrase "lose weight by taking in less calories than you burn" is about a useful as saying "You can identify the parallel universe you are in by measuring the number of gravitons you encounter when you are 1 meter from a 1 gram object"
>>
>>35051850
Plausible
Happens in a few metabolic conditions where muscle is metabolized faster than fat
>>
>>35051809
You dumb nigger, weight is a measure of mass and calories is a measure of energy, the only reason burning calories loses you weight is because you breathe, sweat, shit, and pee out the used up fats. If you introduce some chemical agent that makes your body unable to "take out the trash" properly, you can literally burn all the calories you want and still not lose weight.

Stop misquoting physics and spreading the filth that you can eat whatever you want, live like trash, and still be fit as long as calories equate. Fitness will only come to you if you apply discipline in not only exercise, but also nutrition and lifestyle.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.