[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Muscle Atrophy While in Cast
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 960x720
I broke my ankle and tore a ligament 6 days ago. I can already feel my calf muscle atrophying if I poke in under the cast. Is there anything I can do while I'm healing to prevent atrophy or at least keep it to a minimum? Because I'm not using my leg at all when I walk, I started doing lying leg raises to keep my thigh strong, but the only thing I can do for my calf is flex it under the cast.

>pic related, but not me obviously
>>
>>35050438
Stop being a pussy and start doing calf raises, 3x15, twice a week.
>>
>>35050438
>>35050438
Don't do anything, you'll fuck up the ankle.

Yes, it will atrophy, but good news, a month after you get back in the calf will be back to normal. Muscles have a sort of memory, so make sure you heal first. I broke my foot and was out of the gym for 7 weeks. whoole leg atrophied, I know what i'm talking about.
>>
>the only thing I can do for my calf is flex it under the cast.

correct, and you should. isometric contractions will slow the rate of atrophy down so do it as much as possible
>>
Let your ankle heal and follow what your physician/physical therapist tells you. One sure fire way of getting small calfs is trying to work them out too soon after an injury which might completely fuck up the healing process.
>>
Broke my left arm once and had to keep it casted for 2 years a long while ago. My arms are generally the same size, but I cant lift as much with the left as I can with the right.
>>
>>35050438
Should've done squats. I believe that the expression is play through the pain.
>>
I snap citied and didnt squat for a year and basically lost no mass at all(sadly).

Youll be fine op dont worry. Let that shit heal.

>capthca select images wih a gym
>>
You've already unlocked the neural pathways, the muscle will come back with just walking probably, you can do cal raises when your healed to speed things up.
>>
>>35050623
>2 years
Nigga what?
>>
>>35050438
Don't worry, let it heal, take your time, you can put the muscle back on very quickly, it's not a problem you need to worry about. Talk to a physical therapist to know when to start and how exercise properly. When it comes to injury, /fit/ is as stupid as it gets, so don't listen to them, ever. There's a reason why moot removed the "Health" part of /fit/.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.