[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /fit/ have any advice for patellar tendonitis? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1444263895167.jpg (42 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1444263895167.jpg
42 KB, 500x400
Does /fit/ have any advice for patellar tendonitis? I've had it since I was like 13, but I don't hit the gym and lift like I used to when I was playing football and it's back and quite annoying. I don't feel confident on it.

I got to Navy Basic on Jan 12th and I'd like to be far more confident on it to be at my best.
>>
>implying /fit/ played sports at all and aren't just all vanity lifters
>>
>>35048118
Fuck this guy, played D1 Hand Egg

No fucking clue op sorry.
>>
File: eccentric-decline-squat.png (846 KB, 774x523) Image search: [Google]
eccentric-decline-squat.png
846 KB, 774x523
Yeah I can't squat while I'm in season or my knees get fucked up.

If you have had it chronically then you need to fix that because it's an issue. Some stuff that's helped me:

>stretching everything from hips down
>fish oil
>massage
>topical NSAIDs (don't take oral meds for this regularly, there are other worse effects like stomach damage)

in particular make sure you've mobilized the IT band, massaged the VMO, and the rectus femoris. Compression while lifting helps, and I generally like to use compression pants + knee sleeves.

Pic related stretches out the tendon in a good way, making it track a little smoother.
>>
>>35048151

thank you so much
>>
File: 1448556013495.png (361 KB, 502x377) Image search: [Google]
1448556013495.png
361 KB, 502x377
>>35047718
I've also had this all throughout life. It would appear when I ran a lot in, say, a two week period after not really running.

Change your shoes and take a week off running. Ice that fucker. People say brandfags are cancer but buy Asics or go home.

You probably don't need to train for navy basic anyway. Definitely don't overtrain. They'll craft you bit by steady bit. Training on your own there is a tendency to undertrain then overtrain when you are "feelin' it."

How often, fast, far do you run?
>>
>>35047718
Anon do you know the source of your patella tendonitis? All the advice has been okay so far but if, like me, your PT is caused by a muscular imbalance then the only way to permanently fix it is to properly activate your muscle groups that aren't pulling their weight. For me its my glutes. I never even used them when I squatted or ran or jumped or anything. Try looking into if something similar is causing your problem and what physiotherapy you can undergo to rebuild your muscular foundation.
>>
>>35048366

this is good advice but it's really hard to tell if something's unbalanced without a good understanding of your own mechanics. Took me years to find out that my quads weren't working properly and that is probably the most obvious muscle group there is. How did you find out about your glutes issue?
>>
>>35048226

I don't run too much but I do go on the lower impact machines and play basketball.

>>35048366
>>35048402

My tendonitis comes back after sitting on my ass or getting lazy. My left leg is a hell of a lot weaker than my right so I'm guessing it's imbalance. I got it playing baseball when I was young and slipped a disc in my back not too long after that, so I'm guessing its my body not working together well.

I will really work on stretching and engaging those muscles on my bad knee side. Work my ass and my hips and try to build strength around the knee and add flexibility
>>
>>35048663

Are you doing unilateral work? Step ups are great for knee health, and you can do them weighted without a lot of extra stress on the patellar tendon. Just make sure you do them methodically (e.g. don't use your standing leg to push off the ground). They're great for knees and glutes
>>
File: IMG_0535.jpg (309 KB, 1600x1195) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0535.jpg
309 KB, 1600x1195
>>35048663
If you're training on those machines were you lift by extending your leg from bent to straight you are really going to irritate that tendon fast. As in on day one. Those machines should be outlawed.

Just run and lift without isolation for Pete's sake!

>anon started lifting
>hey anon what do you squat
"I d-don't"
>>
>>35048663
Oh and if you work at a desk you're going to make that tendon all tight by sitting all day btw.
>>
>>35048723

they're not all bad. I found that doing extremely light weight and only the last 30 degrees of ROM with toes turned slightly out improved my patellar tracking problems.
>>
>>35048723

As low impact machine I mean like that cardio ones where you get a good range of motion.

I used to squat 395 at around 153 lbs back in the day.

>>35048734

Yes I sit at a desk a fuckton. I'm gonna focus on stretching very well and not letting it lock up.
>>
/tendonitis/ general
>>
>>35048151
Have it since I was 15, now 25.

This exercise is one of the few things that helps. Along with some basic yoga stands and daily foamrolling of the legs (especially the quads).

But to be fair, patellar tendonitis is a fucked up injury that gave me a lot of other injuries during soccer because of serious imbalances...
>>
>>35047718

depends on cause.

I suffered with this chronically for circa 2 months as a result of squatting, when i started training again after a few years off. Sitting down on a chair, standing up was painful literally everyday.

Icing, patella massage, contrast showers helped ease the symptoms a small amount, even if just psychologically.

What worked for me was just front squatting through it until my musculature was more symmetrically balanced.

Good luck, its a bitch.
>>
>>35047718
You need to strengthen it. Look up eccentric rehab for tendonitis.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.