[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "Bible" of Bodybuilding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: arnold.jpg (311 KB, 1412x1802) Image search: [Google]
arnold.jpg
311 KB, 1412x1802
Is this worth a read or is it broscience?

Also what books do you recommend for educating myself about fitness?

Proper books not shitty blogs or youtube channels.
>>
>>35037097
Memories... This was one of the first books I read about lifting when I got started years ago.. It's definitely a classic and there's some nice pictures in there too.. Remember it's primary focus is bodybuilding so the routines suggested are catered towards that... There is some bro science in there like things about making your rib cage larger but it does show a bunch of different exercises to hit all the different muscles

Personally I'd recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's the most thorough breakdown on how to do all the major difts properly. I think the squat alone has like 40-60 pages dedicated to it. Besides that I'd also recommend his other book Practical Program for strength training which details the specifics of designing your own program
>>
>>35037171
Thanks senpai. I am interested mostly in aesthetics though.
>>
>>35037097
>Is this worth a read or is it broscience?
It's Arnold Schwarzenegger.
>>
>>35037196
The ultimate bro.
>>
File: 20151125_180255.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151125_180255.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I will second the recommendation for this book. It was the first lifting book I ever read and it is what got me into fitness. It definitely has some broscience in it, but most of the material is good. I did his routine my senior year of high school and it gave really good results without even following the diet section. If you can get a cheap copy, you should buy it. Oh, and did I mention the sweet motivational pictures, like pic related.
>>
>>35037364
I got it as ebook, from ... ehm ... somewhere.

I ask because its like 2500 pages (on my iPad). I want to read something of value.
>>
In his documentary he says that he porpusefully gives bad advice. I don't know if I'd trust him.
>>
>>35037287
>The brominator
>>
>>35037097
If it came with dbol, it would be useful

Nice pictures though
>>
>>35037097

I've read it.

It's basically the sticky with a few extra things, training and nutrition wise.

The posing and competition sections are fucking good, you learn all about Arnold's strategies, psychological tricks, poses, hiding weaknesses. Pretty much a must read if you're thinking of competing.

Another thing I really enjoyed was the insanelly complex micronutrient information he provides.

Then he posts some routines which mix hypertrophy with powerlifting, but it's mainly brosplits.

>tl:dr; 8.5/10 book
>>
>>35037525
The documentary wasn't 100% real, some stuff was added for drama. Also he only fucked with his competitors.
>>
File: goat.jpg (29 KB, 550x818) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
29 KB, 550x818
>>35037183
Beauty is temporary and subjective. Strength in mind and body are valid goals.
>>
>>35037097
i've read it a few years ago
might read it again now

it has A LOT of bodybuilding history (huge number of rare pics and such)
a lot of material about posing, contest prep, and psychological aspect of competitive bodybuilding, etc.
also a LOT of broscience (anabolic window, muscle "shaping", all that bullshit)

also note that Arnie used shit tons of deca/dbol/primo/winny, so his routine may not be the best for you in terms of overall strain on body and recovery

about general books you should read starting strength to get familiar with the lifts
if you don't wan't to read 300 pages to learn how to squat, you can just watch some of rippettoe's lifting videos
channel is aasgardco on youtube

best book about diet imo is "Power Eating" by Susan Kleiner and Maggie Greenwood
it contains a lot of scientific studies and gives a realistic view on supplements
also lyle mcdonald's diet books

my advice for you is to not get books from sponsored bodybuilders (guys like Simeon Panda, etc.) cause thy tend to shill for the compaines that've sponsered them

other good lifting books are: prectical programming for strength training, 531s, juggernaut method, vladimir zatsiorsky's books, etc.
>>
File: 1380085679681.jpg (37 KB, 314x480) Image search: [Google]
1380085679681.jpg
37 KB, 314x480
>>35037364
>that pic

she's def mirin
>>
>>35038089
>Strength in mind and body are valid goals.

Indeed they are. But I have an awful body. Skinny with a beer belly. I want to get big and after I reach a size I like I want to either train for strength or learn to fight: kickboxing, krav maga or some shit like that.
>>
>>35038136

Is there any natty bodybuiling routine? Damn you frauds.
>>
>>35038851
There are no Natty bb bra
>>
>>35038459
>krav maga
Nice meme
>>
>>35038894
I mean they have to start with something. I don't reckon they star juicing from day 1.
>>
>>35039161
5x5 routines, there was one by reg park that arnie followed. There are loads of variations. PPL routines are probably best for natty gains if hypertrophy is your goal.
>>
>>35039264
Just to add, I insist that building a strength foundation is absolutely optimal in the long run, do a 5x5 variation until you absolutely stall then move on.
>>
>>35039264
Should every set done to failure?
>>
>>35038851
>natty
>bodybuiilding
no such thing

they all try to sell you their 300-sets-per-bodypart brosplits while claiming it's the best thing for beginners
people get sore as fuck doing these and they think "gee, if i'm getting doms, it must've been working"
a year later they still struggle with 185 bench

>>35039487
close to, but not to total failure
going to failure all the time failure is ok for isolations
>>
>>35038927
>implying krav maga doesn't turn you into a killing machine

Silly goy.
>>
>>35039850
>>35039264
this guy is a retard, don't listen to him
>>
>>35039161

A surprising number of lifters do. Shit, we've had trips on this board who started juicing before they started lifting.
>>
File: merchant.jpg (69 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
merchant.jpg
69 KB, 501x585
>>35041003
>>
>>35041050
Sounds dangerous.
>>
>>35037171
>Practical Program
Based! Check out RTS by Mike Tuschererer.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.