[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was wondering will you guys ever quit lifting? I mean realistically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 188835-hamish-and-andy.jpg (52 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
188835-hamish-and-andy.jpg
52 KB, 650x366
Was wondering will you guys ever quit lifting?
I mean realistically most people will eventually especially when they get old.
Have you guys ever quit before?
>>
>>35010753
Bump
>i'm a girl btw ;ppp
>>
File: fc,550x550,white.u5.jpg (63 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,white.u5.jpg
63 KB, 550x550
Yeah, I did quit.
Lifted for 1 year, nice progress.
Moved, lots of stress, paused for a week.
Week became a month, which became 2 years.
It's incredible how the human brain silently makes up excuses and other shit that lets you completely forget or drop a habit like lifting.

Started again, been lifting for 3/4 year.
Remembering how strong I once already I was it was the hardest shit starting with almost babbyweight again.

Lesson learned. Don't quit.
>>
I actually started lifting again because I was getting "old" (30+) and started worrying about my health. I doubt I'll ever quit. If anything, lifting becomes more important the older you get.
>>
>>35010921
Just wondering but since your in your 30s is it hard to make gains like you used to?
>>
File: 487754317.jpg (37 KB, 250x392) Image search: [Google]
487754317.jpg
37 KB, 250x392
>>35010753
i've quit tons of times. Started lifting when i was 14 and have been going on and off ever since. I'm 24 now. Longest break was about 2 years when i was 20-ish.

I always come back though, and whenever i do i almost always get stronger than i have ever been before. Muscle memory is no lie.

but i wish i would have kept it going for 10 years flat - i would have been a beast by now
>>
My cousin is quite a bit older than me, 44, and over the last few years he's started to lift differently. He doesn't do deadlifts anymore, he doesn't try for anything less than 5RM anymore, and he's added more assistance/flexibility stuff like facepulls and glute bridges. I'll probably do something similar; lifting is good for your body, but some types of it aren't after a certain age.
>>
Why would I quit? It's one of the few things in my existence I still enjoy. If I quit, I would surely kill myself.
>>
I started at 16 and I am 28 now. Have lifted year round since without any breaks.

Right now I do really low frequency 4 day split and basically only lift to maintain. I don't even really try progressively overloading anymore unless I'm really in the mood.

I more so use lifting as a tool for health/exercise and to maintain the body I've built over the last 10+ years.
>>
>>35010753
If scooby impregnated james franco: the dude
>>
>>35010963
older fire fighter guy at my gym is similar. Can easily pull 5pl8 on a dead but mostly just goes for fun and to socialize. Only lifts seriously maybe once a week and the rest is mostly high rep stuff to maintain mass.

he's cool though and helped me a ton learning to lift
>>
>>35010753
Not any time soon. But, once Im in my late 50's/ 60's I'd say that'll be around the time I call it quits.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.