[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I quit smoking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
File: cigarettes.jpg (67 KB, 1000x796) Image search: [Google]
cigarettes.jpg
67 KB, 1000x796
How do I quit smoking?
>>
I quit a couple years ago by getting a vape. Then the vape broke and I never cared to bother anymore. Now I think vaping is getting more people into smoking than helping people quit because people are retarded.
>>
>>35001126
You start vaping.
>>
>>35001126
quit cold turkey
It's a question of willpower
I quit cigarettes, weed, mdma, amphetamine and cocaine cold turkey all on one day.
never looked back and became a superhero
go anon, you'll make it
>>
>I want to go for a smoke
>Nah, lemme read/eat/hobby instead

Wow who knew it was so hard.
Stay cvcked, addict
>>
I took a week off, locked myself into my bedroom and watched all two full shows.

After that its easy.
>>
>>35001126
If you decide to cold turkey it, the best way to do that is to move physically to a new location (preferably with a new climate) and engage in new activities. All the new junk keeps your brain busy, making it very easy to break old habits and form new ones.
>>
>>35001217
this

also psychedelics
>>
>>35001166
actually, quitting cold turkey can be more damaging than weaning yourself off.

it's sort of like warming up with an empty bar and then going right to 2pl8.
>>
sounds weird but you need to supply your mouth with other oral stimuli.

eat lots of carrots, drink tea, chew gum

inb4 chewing cocks
>>
>>35001126

I (let's call it) quit 2 weeks ago, cold turkey. Haven't smoked 1 cig in that time, hear is what I know/felt up to now for your info:

The first 3 days are hard as your body breaks down the remaining nicotine and is afraid of being depraved of a, what it has learned, crucial substance for living.
After those it gets easier and easier every further day.

I wont lie to you; you WILL have cravings, but (some even use a stopwatch) after 3mins they subside and they get less and less. You just have to "rewrite" your subconscious trying to fool you, be stronger and tell yourself "NO!" actively.
Try to get rid of a cig being a "forbidden fruit". That "aaah" moment you had and remember is naught but the illusion of a former addict, get rid of that.

Also try to face your former addiction head on: always had a cig with your coffee? Drink a coffee and tell yourself NO. Smoking out with the dudes having a beer? Have that beer and tell yourself NO.
The more often you do this and the more often you succeed saying NO, the easier it gets.

Lastly; remember why you want to quit and keep in mind:

>It's better to be a non smoker and have cravings from time to time than it is to be a smoker asking yourself "Why don't I already quit?" all the time.

Cheers m8 and gl
>>
>>35001126
Vape and eventually youll fuck say fuck it. It works. And it tasted really good
>>
>>35001126

Next time you want to smoke, just don't.
>>
>>35001514

Now this, folks, is pedestrian science.
>>
>>35001661
Thanks man this helped.

I haven't smoked in about 18 hours and I've been doing fine all this morning until about 15 minutes ago, this overwhelming feeling of needing something came over me so I went to the store and got some chips and candy and a green tea. It made me feel incredibly irrational and it was embarrassing.

I don't want to smoke anymore.
>>
>>35001723
>I don't want to smoke anymore.

So don't, bro. Don't replace it either. Just fucking don't do anything irrational pertaining to this old habit of yours, in fact. It's not that hard.
>>
>>35001723

np man, yw.

Cherish that feel of emberassment. How irrational you feel and how you despise that part of yourself. That's the addict you wanna get rid off!

Your brain has been trained to find good excuse to have a cig, you have to train it differently from now on. STAY STRONG
>>
>>35001166
This. This is really a matter of will, as shameful is it to admit it.
>>
Anyone in here still please read this advice. I went from smoking everyday the past 6 years since I was 17 to stopping cold turkey 9 months ago. I have not had a single urge to smoke since then. I absolutely hate cigarettes today. Download and listen to the audiobook the easy way to stop smoking.
>>
>>35001758
>It's not that hard.
You don't know that. You don't know anything about how hard it is to quit for anyone besides yourself. Realize this.
>>
>>35001126
Step 1
Stop smoking.

>doctors hate him!
>>
>>35002376
You're a self serving clueless idiot
>>
>>35001126
stop being a girl about it
>>
>>35002403
I remember when I blamed everything on women and thought casual misogyny was manly too
>>
By not putting a lit cigarette in your mouth.

Holy shit! I'm such a genius! I deserve a nobel peace prize. It's so fucking genius! Who would've ever thought that you just don't put a lit cigarette in your mouth? Chantix and Wellbutrin, consider your business done.
>>
>>35002419
Back to reddit kek
>>
Look up the behavioral term "Extinction".
>>
>>35002419
>I need feminism to stop smoking
>>
>>35002497
You talk like an egocentric sociopath, I hope you aren't like this in real life.
>>
Try vaping. Smoked for 10 years, because addiction and I liked the taste. Gum sucks, lozenges suck, patch was bullshit, Chantix made me wake up screaming, vaping worked.
>>
>>35002597
>I'm a weak-willed slave who over-complicates the issue.
>>
>>35001514
Only with alcohol and stuff like benzo/barbiturates, for everything else cold turkey is best. Doing lines of coke isn't like performing a heavy squat, you retard
>>
File: restaurant-tipping-mr-pink.jpg (21 KB, 560x304) Image search: [Google]
restaurant-tipping-mr-pink.jpg
21 KB, 560x304
>sit down
>now IMAGINE you just bought a pack of your favorite cigarettes
>you imagine happily take them out of your pocket, and light up
>you light it, you inhale, and hold it for a split second
>you exhale
>you feel a wave of relaxation go down you, and you smile and loosen up a little bit
>Now, imagine slowly smoking the rest of the cigarette
>happily, calmly, in your own pace, smoking
>now as you get to the end of it, we're almost there
>imagine throwing away the rest of it before you finish the whole cig
>now get up and fucking go do something

Visualisation techniques are hidden from the masses because of how powerful they are.

Do this whenever you really feel you need to

Thank me later.
>>
>durr smoking's bad for you DURRRR

let me tell you about my grandpa
>>
>>35002731
what grandpa? was he dead or retarded?
>>
>>35002742

lived to be 112, smoked 3 packs a day
>>
>>35002728
Visualizing is actually a very powerful technique to control yourself.
Do it for your day. Imagine going through the day without a smoke.
Start small with this anons advice. Imagine throwing the smoke away before you even finish it.
>>
>>35002764
he must have lived an amazing life
>>
File: tumblr_mojh2x1ruB1qjaa1to1_1280.jpg (200 KB, 1200x529) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mojh2x1ruB1qjaa1to1_1280.jpg
200 KB, 1200x529
>>35002832
>>35002728
MA NIGGAS!
>>
>>35001126
Cold turkey. After 3 days nicotine is completely out of your body. Then it's just a matter of willpower. I smoked for 3 years and did it this waym
>>
>>35001700
This.
Once you get down to 3mg nic, you don't crave it anymore.
I had to stop once I was down to 3mg nic and I decided that I like cardio.
>>
Get a mouth fedora, helped me stop dipping. Just don't be a fag and blow massive clouds in a crowded dinner or something.
>>
>>35001126
Dude, I just made up my mind. I'm gonna quit smoking tomorrow. I only have one cigarette left, im gonna smoke it before I sleep and that's it. I will not smoke tomorrow.
>>
>>35003332
Shit I'll join you. I have two left, and I'm too poor to buy more. I spend so much on smokes I could've been homegymmasterrace.
>>
>>35001661
>I wont lie to you; you WILL have cravings, but (some even use a stopwatch) after 3mins they subside and they get less and less. You just have to "rewrite" your subconscious trying to fool you, be stronger and tell yourself "NO!" actively.
>Try to get rid of a cig being a "forbidden fruit". That "aaah" moment you had and remember is naught but the illusion of a former addict, get rid of that.
>Also try to face your former addiction head on: always had a cig with your coffee? Drink a coffee and tell yourself NO. Smoking out with the dudes having a beer? Have that beer and tell yourself NO.
>The more often you do this and the more often you succeed saying NO, the easier it gets.
>Lastly; remember why you want to quit and keep in mind:
>>It's better to be a non smoker and have cravings from time to time than it is to be a smoker asking yourself "Why don't I already quit?" all the time.
so much this! that is it.
you have to stop conciously. its day by day, sometimes minute by minute or even second by second.. but as anon said, it gets less and easier. dont expect any miraculous "oh i dont want it anymore, weehhh"
>>
>>35003332
>>35003355
If you guys feel like your going to need to buy a pack seriously try a vape out before.
>>
>>35001514
low willpower detected
>>
cold turkey, bitch! it's been 5 years since I quit, don't be a pussy and just do it you cunt ;^)
>>
>>35003416
Well I'm actually looking for a good vape with at least 70w output. Preferably a kit under 100$
>>
File: vaping.jpg (238 KB, 1200x596) Image search: [Google]
vaping.jpg
238 KB, 1200x596
>>35001126

Most people i know who tried and succeed to stop smoking, began vaping, and then one day they kinda forgot to do it that day, then that kinda extends to weeks, then months then they just stop altogether.
>>
>>35003355
Godspeed bro
>>
I've been cigarette free for like 5 months now and I have to say, the way I quit was by quitting drinking. I found myself wanting cigarettes when I was out drinking, and that's how it became an addiction in the first place and moved into everyday life.
>>
>>35001126
You cease buying and smoking cigarettes. Worked for me
>>
>>35001514
Patently false
>>
>>35001166
I did that too after tripping on shrooms.
>>
File: greengrocer.jpg (17 KB, 514x344) Image search: [Google]
greengrocer.jpg
17 KB, 514x344
>>35004725
This.

I used hate, I found somebody I hated and refused to let them think I have no willpower. I used my hatred of this person to quit smoking, to trim down then put on some muscle.

It actually worked very well, so long as you maintain your hatred at reasonable levels. Don't talk to them, bare minimum of contact with them to get the job down (If your target is at work like mine was) and it will work.
>>
>>35001126
You stop buying.
You reduce your consumption.
You modify your behaviour so you have a different "ritual" to keep the habit based aspect stable.

Then you go cold turkey.

Shit is not as hard as they say. Not nearly.
You'll get shitty. Short temper.
But not for long.
That short half life has its pros too.

Do not buy into the ecig/vape shill.
You need to stop putting poisons into your body, not just switch delivery systems.
>>
>>35003332
If you're going to quit smoking, why would you smoke your last cigarette?

Jesus Christ, you people are such wimpy, bitchy addicts. Just stop putting the things in your nasty tar-coated mouths. It's that fucking simple.
>>
>>35003355
fuck same here, 2 cigs left lets do it bois
>>
hookah
>>
File: russia finally gets broadband.jpg (548 KB, 695x700) Image search: [Google]
russia finally gets broadband.jpg
548 KB, 695x700
>>35001979
>ctrl+f
>only one mention of easyway
god it's like you fuckers don't want to quit!

I quit oct 5th of last year, zero withdrawals, pack a day to zero overnight.

Even ellen used Easyway
>>
>>35005021
They're all gone now. Time to apply these mental gains.
>>
>>35001126
meditation making me realize how dumb it was to smoke made me quit, you get conscious of the craving but you resist until it is gone, you quit gradually, it helps to be aware of your lungs during smoking so you feel all the bad shit you are doing to them
>>
>>35001191
all two full shows.
>>
>>35005006
No it's not that simple you stupid fucking hippy idiot lol
>>
Iquit by being suicidal and sent to an insane clinic for 14 days. Couldn't smoke there. Just decided to quit afterwards since I had 2 weeks on it.

If you have insurance, just go to the ER and say you are an imminent danger to yourself. Your fun while inside the clinic may vary though..... it's good for resetting tolerances too. Got so high when I got out.
>>
>>35001126
1 word
Will Power
>>
>Hate the habit of smoking more than you hate yourself and life.

Coming from someone who started smoking at fifteen and couldn't quit until nineteen; I smoked cartons on the weekends and packs daily, like my lungs were made of iron. I also smoked a lot of weed. It makes me cringe to think of what was done, but I'm much happier now and my quality of life has improved dramatically. When I want to buzz, I sub the rush of smoking with heavy cardio or lots of caffeine. Good luck bro. You can also take that money you save from not buying packs and treat yourself or someone out to a good dinner,
>>
>>35001126
Cold turkey bro.

On your first day of quitting, hit the sauna. Do this for days straight. The sauna will help your body sweat out the nicotine and quitting will be much easier
>>
Let me tell you something.

I am the weakest of the weak, everything that means you have no willpower. I'm 20. I'm female. I'm ex bulimic. Ex anorexic. I smoked 1/2-1 pack per day for 3 years

. Even I quit smoking. 6 months ago.

Literally all you have to do is decide its beneath you. Not that you don't want to - you will still want to. I still want to - but decide that you won't. Simply because it is beneath you and you are better than that. Smoking is just as bad as being fat

Don't efen get me started on vapes
>>
>>35001126
>quit smoking
>start lifting
this should help bud
>>
>>35007787
nice
>>
>>35001979
Agreed

If you want to quit without getting withdrawels or fat from all the candy and shit read/listen to Easyway to Quit.

It's a hard read because the guy isn't a real writer. Like he constantly refers to anyone born after WWII as "youngsters" about 1000 times. Just push through it, might have to read/listen to it twice before it 100% kicks in.
>>
I quit using gum. Seriously I constantly had gum in my mouth. A lot of people say vaping but idk, my friend vapes but as soon as she's stressed she goes back to cigarettes. It doesn't seem that effective, it's more a replacement than a quitting tool. I mean obviously it's better than the tar and shit but if you're trying to quit it's counterintuitive.
>>
>>35001126
by not buying it anymore you goddamn retard

also you will never be able to stop if you have to ask this
>>
>>35009600
You got it. Easyway is literally the easiest way. Got the book a few years ago and haven't touch nicotine since. Took me a while to finish reading it because I was scared of quitting, lel.

It's available online if you guys don't feel like paying for it.
>>
>>35001514

I've seen a lot of dumb shit here but goddammit this takes the cake.
>>
>>35001514
>tobacco baby detected
>>
Hey guys just thought I'd check in. 2nd day of no cigarettes!

I'm not sure how it's been this easy for me so far, I suppose I just convinced myself that I don't smoke anymore. There has been a couple times throughout the day that I start acting really irrationally and want a cig but I found out that it goes away and I go back to feeling normal in a matter of minutes.

I also just did the pretending I was smoking thing, it actually did calm me down.
>>
File: IMG_0050.png (116 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0050.png
116 KB, 640x960
>>35001126
Start running, that's what made me stop smoking after 3 years.

Seriously, everytime you're feeling for a smoke, go do cardio and/or sprint as hard as you fucking can to get your max pulse.

I can garauntee you that you're NOT going to feel like smoking after barely being able to catch your breath.
>>
>>35012068
I'm a US Marine and I do a lot of daily running. I absolutely do feel like smoking before and after running. Also before and after hikes. The last hike we did was 15 miles, after we finished I dropped my pack and lit a cigarette.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.