[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do we hate the smith machine? I've been some time without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 6-smith-machine.jpg (55 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
6-smith-machine.jpg
55 KB, 600x600
Why do we hate the smith machine?

I've been some time without going to the gym and I'm afraid I've lost stability and conficence in my squats, I'm afraid I'll hurt my knees wich like once or twice I've felt disconfort in after squatting.
>>
>>34999641
because the smith machine hurts your knees.
>>
Squats don't hurt your knees unless you're squatting shallowly. Deep squats strengthen the knees. One builds confidence in squats by squatting more. Avoid the smith machine, unless you still ride your bike with training wheels.
>>
>>34999653
I'm worried I compensate for loss of balance by kneeling forward, I squat al 90ยบ
>>
>>34999827
get a PT or an experienced gymbro to spot you; best than any machine forcing you to unnatural movements.
>>
>how you want your joints f a m?
>>
'I have no balance/stability, better ignore the problem and do half squats in the smith machine instead'
I'd say do goblet squats and do them slowly with an upright torso, tight core and go as low as you can without rounding your lower back.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 500x450
>>34999641
>>
>>35000737
This. Do goblet squats for a while to help with your form and flexibility. That movement is what it should feel like when you do a regular barbell squat. As for the smith machine, I wouldn't use it because the range of motion it provides is very quad oriented and doesn't allow your glutes to work, and of course there's all that stabilizer muscle shit you have to worry about
>>
File: 1445891094975.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445891094975.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Just do light weight squats for a week or two. You are just retraining your CNS to learn the movement.

Bring the safety bars up a bit too.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 613x530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 613x530
>>34999641
Cus its bad for you, fuck up your knees and joints up in the smith machine senpai
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.