[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: calves_2.jpg (65 KB, 1109x614) Image search: [Google]
calves_2.jpg
65 KB, 1109x614
Let's discuss about training calves. This is a good article on how to train calves and the science behind it :

> http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves

However, I personally stopped training them at all. The reasons :

> Huge part of having big calves are genetics and there is little room to growing them
> You have to put all of work in, but you only get little results out of it
> The time into the gym training could be spen t on working more important weak points that could actually help you with your main lifts
> Extra demands on CNS due to big weights being used
> Most people have tight calves, resulting in a lot of knee and foot problems and training them will probably make them even tighter
> I have a tendency to developing plantar fasciitis and training calves seems to exacerbate the condition

Has anybody got impressive results from training calves while having average genetics?
>>
I have pretty small calves with high insertions.

But I've had a bit of a revelation lately that I haven't seen anyone talk about.

Tendons in muscle have a bit of an elastic capability in them that absorb energy from eccentric movements and turn it into a concentric movement.

The calves have the thickest tendon in the body, and in some people like myself the tendon is also long, making it very elastic.

So the way I see it, is calves should be trained primarily by doing slow eccentrics with paused reps at the bottom in order to get rid of the stretch-reflex caused by the tendon. This way it's 100% of the muscle doing the work.
>>
>>34998753

> TFW using genetics as an excuse for shitty calves

See why fat guys gone swole have mega calves?

Literally bulk up hard/wear a weighted bodysuit and run tiptoe on an incline/up a hill to train your calves
>>
>>34998836
100% correct. Slow ass eccentric reps with a deep 10+ sec stretch on the bottom will rip them up.
>>
>>34998753
My understanding is that, since your calves are there, in part, to stabilize your ankles, farmer's walks and balancing exercises are helpful.
>>
>>34998753
Forefoot/midfoot strike while running medium distances (3-5 miles) once or twice a week, calves gains everywhere. Specifically training calves never made a different for me. Upping my running frequency made them more vascular and larger within a month.
>>
>>34999763
my knees..
>>
>>34999786
ill rip u up, no homo of course

:^)
>>
>>34998753
The reason /fit/ has small calves is because nobody does legit cardio
>>
>>35002080
Nigga running ain't going to do shit to your knees unless you're an obeast and then you couldn't even anyway

Adding 10kg+ while running isn't such a bad thing, boo hiss cardio,"muh knees", the military wear suits that weigh a fuckton and they still run like all hell so start being a man
>>
>>34999786
Any decent proof of this working well? The logic seems sound enough tho. I have good size calfs naturally but I'd like more.
>>
>>34999763
I think thats because very few fat guys have small base frames, so even if they were never fat they would have had better calves than most.
>>
>>35002988

Nah, its all about proportion, a small guy with good calves proportionate to his size will always look better than a tall guy with big calves but no muscle tone.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.