[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/... I need your assistance. Anyone here owns a home gym?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13
File: home-gym-05.jpg (1 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
home-gym-05.jpg
1 MB, 3888x2592
/fit/... I need your assistance.

Anyone here owns a home gym? What are the pro and cons? Do you regret having spent that money?

I'm thinking of getting a olympic bar, some weights, a bench, and squat stand (and some other non important stuff) for about 450-550€.

I'll be able to bench, deadlift, squat, curl, ohp, do dips, chin ups pulls ups, all the good stuff a guy can do without machines.

Is this too much money ? I can't get a power rack, too poor. But i think this setup will do the trick

Pic related
>>
don't cheap out on the rack of all fucking things
>>
File: Lee_Johnston1_1877045a.jpg (113 KB, 980x770) Image search: [Google]
Lee_Johnston1_1877045a.jpg
113 KB, 980x770
>>34994844

A rack where i live is pretty darn expensive and to be fair, i've been on all the gyms in my city and never even seen one...
>>
help... anyone?
>>
Make the rack yourself

This is under the assumption that not all males have completely lost the sense of self-sufficiency and require everything to be done for them
>>
>>34995013

So have you done one yourself? How do you suggest i make one... The one way i can think off is wood
>>
Home gym here here, spent about $600 on a rack, weights, weight tower, bar, and floor mats, and never looked back.

Basically you gotta math out if a gym membership is worth more to you with the extra equipment, but you have to drive to it, vs having a home gym with generally less options, but more convenient and pretty much one time fees as opposed to monthly.

I highly recommend getting a power rack, save for a few months if you can anon.
>>
>>34995026
literally dozens of guides on google, you just need to pick the one you want specifically for
the amount you'll be lifting, space/funds available etc
>>
>>34995056

The only money i get is from a part time job in a poor country (Portugal).
Im currently studying and working so driving to the gym is not really an option.
I want a rack, but tell me one thing i cant do with a squat stand and a pull up bar that i can do with a power rack anon. Its way cheaper and it uses less space.

>>34995069

If you have the equipment ,material and are handy maybe you can make an half decent one i guess.
I'd like to see you show me a rack made only with inexpensive equipment and wood
>>
>>34994835
Buy a second hand rack, saved me about $500
>>
/home gym/ here. It's awesome for social retards like myself. If you lift for multiple years you'll save money on gym fees. Weights are expensive as shit though. a buck per pound or so.

I highly recommend it.
>>
>>34995249

Do you have any particular recommendations? Like something you wish you had bought? The only thing im really afraid of failing is the bar. I have no clue what is the difference between a good bar and a bad bar apart from the amout of weight it withstands. Since i wont be lifting more than the average 3 pl8 and something i don't think i should worry much
>>
>>34995292
Not them >>34995217 >>34995249 but home gym here too.

>tell me one thing i cant do with a squat stand and a pull up bar that i can do with a power rack anon
Having safety pins is what ultimately sold me to buying a cage instead of a squat stand. If you'll be lifting by yourself most of the time, you might want to consider it.

>I have no clue what is the difference between a good bar and a bad bar apart from the amout of weight it withstands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaFpGrZBnrE
>>
>>34994844
why is that? as long as the reviews are good and weight capacity is mildly accurate what else should i look out for?
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 800x800
>>34994835

If I was building a home gym on a budget, I would start with something like pic related.

It costs about $350. It can do lat pulldowns, rows, and is a squat rack.

Get Olympic weights because most racks are made for Olympic bars.

Get an adjustable bench.

For about $500 to $600, you now can do most important weight stuff.

Buy a jump rope for $5. Cardio done.
>>
File: 690_470_1272230-png-hero[1].png (116 KB, 690x470) Image search: [Google]
690_470_1272230-png-hero[1].png
116 KB, 690x470
>>34995292

I bought mostly chinese crap. 2 things that will go first are the bar and the bench if its adjustable. If the bench is made like my pic, it will begin to wobble once the weight gets heavy which is fucked. The bar will bend if it gets dropped on the safeties with fairly heavy weights, but its not that bad. The safeties themselves bending might be a problem, but its better they bend from impact rather than your spine or ribcage getting crushed. All in all I only regret getting that bench because a bent bar/safeties/smelly bouncer plates I can handle, but that fucking wobbling bench will make you snap your shit up.

>>34995493

>Having safety pins is what ultimately sold me to buying a cage instead of a squat stand. If you'll be lifting by yourself most of the time, you might want to consider it.

this, if any lift is going to kill you without a cage it will be benching. At least get a half cage or something.
>>
>>34994835
home gym is a very bad idea if you plan to use it alone
having a PT or a gymbro spotting you is key
no, internet and a bunch of basement dwellers checking your form isn't safe
>>
>>34995783

Because having a random retard from my hometown gym checking my form and telling me deadlift are bad and i should squat with my feet straight and NEVEE hit paralel is very good
>>
>>34995783
you can and should record yourself lifting and then you can see for yourself if your form is any good instead of trusting the opinion of some college dropout who has a Masterplan certification. spotter bars on a power rack are safer than trusting a random weakling at the gym who doesn't give a fuck about you. there's a good reason why home gyms are master race.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (125 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
125 KB, 1920x1080
>>34995217
>I'd like to see you show me a rack made only with inexpensive equipment and wood
>>
homegym master race reporting in

if i had to change one thing, i would buy iron weights, not rubber-coated, and i would buy them second hand if possible. could have saved a few hundred $
>>
>>34995026
Buff dudes
>>
File: homegym.jpg (519 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
homegym.jpg
519 KB, 1632x1224
wish I had gotten a short cage honestly. Safety bars are largely useless. I am poor but part of it was a christmas gift

Get a cage or a rack with some real safety bars though, don't fuck around with your health.
>>
>>34996064
Do you work out in a fucking dungeon? Savage. Post a pic of the room lit only by torches
>>
>>34995217
olá, companheiro

i am in the process of putting together a home gym myself and you could build what weightlifters call jerk blocks. you would then set them in a height such that they can catch the plates of the bar (instead of the power rack safeties catching the bar) - that would be more intelligent if you opt for squat stands

in my particular case i have bought a shitty expensive power rack that has many problems and now i'm back to using my old squat stands

the weightlifting coach greg everett teaches how to it here: http://www.catalystathletics.com/article/52/Jerk-Block-Building-Tutorial/

i'll go shopping wood today so i can build a platform
>>
>>34995783
if you actually read starting strength...
>>
>>34997161
hi, check this video of chris duffin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODLuCEp3qs
>>
>>34994835
buy dmbells and a bench. You can do everything with it
>>
>>34997161
>starting strength
it's horrible, it should be removed from the sticky
>>34995870
>>34995844
>you can check yourself recording
>all the other opinions are weak and from college dropouts who care nothing
the autism, it hurts. Having a second opinion and possibly having someone spotting you (usually more experienced than you) is always a nice thing, edgemasters.
Posting your webm on reddit or on a Malaysian missing planes forum in order to gather some feedback... is inane.
Reviewing your own webm is better than nothing, sure, but it's gorillion times worse than interacting with bros and PTs in a gym.
>>
I regret buying mats at dick's or wherever I bought them, they're not bad but were really pricy given the amount of sq ft coverage I got, read somewhere that horse stall mats work really well, and a friend owns a few mats but at this point I just don't care.
>>
>>34994895
shit you live in a rack bro?
>>
File: 2015-10-16_19.42.17.jpg (903 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-16_19.42.17.jpg
903 KB, 2448x2448
Homegyms rule - if you have the discipline to lift without gymbros.
Don't cheap out on racks and bars. Go used if possible for massive cost savings. Used plates are great.
>>
>>34998906
>Homegyms rule
>hey guys it's so much better to lift in this shitty basement
>DOOMED TO DIE written with blood on walls
>no safety measures
>cheap uneven platform made with wood, plastic and dead rats
>random cables dangling around
>dirty floor
o-ok
>>
I used to have a home gym and I found it boring, lonely and depressing. Part of the reason I looked forward to going to the gym was that it got me out of the house and around other people. Having a home gym completely removes that, plus it's more expensive even in the long run when you take in to account equipment replacements/upgrades etc
>>
>>34999008
Not all of us are social recluses that need to get our social interaction through the gym, you're also trolling hard with saying it's more expensive. 6/10, I replied.
>>
>>34999094
My gym membership is £10 per month

A home gym with the bare minimum and similar weights would cost at least £500 and that's being very generous

50 months or 4 years 2 months.

Meathead fucktards like you didnt pass maths obviously
>>
>>34999132
Gym memberships here where I live in Australia run $12-20 a week in memberships. Yes per week not month. You're also not going to lift more than 4 years?
>>
>>34995217
You can get a squat rack with safety pins, so don't worry about that. If it's rated for 200+ kg, you'll be set for a long time yet.
Get some rubber mats to lay out on the floor to protect your plates from chipping, since plates are crazy expensive for what they are.
Look at stores that sell equipment for farms or playgrounds - They might be cheaper than ones you find in sporting goods stores.
And get as good a barbell as you can afford. My first barbell was dirt cheap and started bending at 120 kg, so out it went.
>>
>>34999196
They charge weekly? That's weird as shit.
>>
>>34999211
Yeah, it's like that for all the chain gyms in my city as well as non chain gyms (I've personally checked out 12 gyms in my city which is almost all of them). Not sure if it's like this Australia wide but we're getting ripped hard.
>>
>>34999196
You really think that equipment wont need replacing/upgrading after four years? You are completely deluded mate.

£500 was a very generous estimate btw. If I wanted to get stuff new it'd be well over £1k
>>
>>34999240
I'm in Melbourne and can confirm this bullshit. Also general reminder to never join Goodlife because when you try to cancel your membership they dodge you for months and try and get you to pay an extra 30 days by saying you must give 30 days notice.

Currently at a 24 hr Snap Fitness (kek name) that's across the road from my house. Super convenient, just got back from a workout at 2am. It's $11.95/week no contract and is p much the cheapest a decent gym membership goes for around here.
>>
>>34998997
You don't have to be a serial killer to homegym, but it helps
>>
>>34994835
lel

best money I ever spent m8

I work all fuckign day, 7 days a week. I can't find time to schedule in the gym, but when I get home its already within reach. Super easy peasy.

Like the others have said, don't skimp out on cash if you actually plan to follow through
>>
File: P1050482.jpg (166 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
P1050482.jpg
166 KB, 480x640
>>34995026
>>34995013

mine pic related

altough I have to say that after using it for more than a year if I could do it again I just build a half-rack with fixed safeties at bench height (serves for squats as well). Less space less money and the same functionality.
>>
>>34999297
>>34999240
Tasmania here. Pretty much all weekly down here too, except for the expensive as shit Crossfit gyms. Workout at a 24hr gym (Zap Fitness) for $12.95/week. Bars are shit, but they don't mind chalk.
>>
im going to move this into the garage
>>
File: IMG_1857.jpg (290 KB, 1500x2000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1857.jpg
290 KB, 1500x2000
>What are the pro and cons?
no cons, only all the obvious pros

>Do you regret having spent that money?
no, i paid 500 for mine and already use it for two years. would have cist me more to pay for a gym
>>
>>34998906
I like this one. It has that Fairfax House in SWAT 4 feel to it.
>>
>>34994835
After reading this board for a while, I settled on:

1. Adjustable dumbbells
2. Bar
3. Bench

Mainly because the YMCA where I work out is pretty close by and has better stuff. I don't need much at home, because I don't really work out there. I only need it for when the Y is closed or when the snow is bad enough I don't want to go out.
>>
>>34994835
Craigslist and other second hand sites will save your life. Get a squat rack that doubles as a bench press. A bench(adjustable if you want) and a barbell with plenty of weights. Also some adjustable dumbells

I have a home gym and cant imagine wanting to go back to a commercial gym. A buddy of mine got me a month long pass so i might go just to check it out, but im not expecting to be all to happy about it
>>
File: 1429277698965.jpg (33 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
1429277698965.jpg
33 KB, 329x329
>>34996064
>ywn workout and then walk into an Oblivion portal to fight demons
>>
>>34994835
Only thing I dont like about my homegym (sometimes) is that I have to workout outside @ minus degrees
>>
>>34995013
Fedora.jpg
>>
Focus on getting a good rack and used weights first. Benches alone aren't really difficult to get and you don't need to be nit-picky about them.

Pretty much get everything so you can go about your compound lifts conveniently, then you can focus on dumbbell sets and what have you.

If you're going to be lifting for over 1.5-2 years it's definitely worth the investment.

the setup in OP's pic is perfect, just pricey.
>>
File: 1447532430546.jpg (10 KB, 291x320) Image search: [Google]
1447532430546.jpg
10 KB, 291x320
Man one day i will have a home gym, fucking sick of driving to the gym, finding it busy as fuck with absolute turds standing around talking to each other, the music is always shit too.

Just want to blast amon amarth as loud as possible, not talk to people and work out in peace.
>>
The only con is not being able to go heavy cause no spotter (unless you have a bro to lift with). A possible con can be setting one up in your house and not having the ceiling height to do certain lifts like standing OHP. I got mine in the garage so don't have this problem.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.