[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finding a use to weightlifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: potential energy.png (22 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
potential energy.png
22 KB, 1280x1024
Hi /fit/

Everytime I lift, feel like I'm consuming energy for nothing. Sure, this consumption helps my body in a lot of ways, but what I mean is that the energy created could be used to recharge batteries for example.

So first, I would like to study energy created by lifting a weight.

Details are in the pic.

So /fit/, assuming it is possible to store this energy, what would be a good routine to created as much as possible ?

Obviously, the parameters are :
- the mass m
- the height L
- number of rep
>>
You should probably stop eating too because that energy could be used for something else, like feeding non autistic people.
>>
>>34986802
Maybe you didn't understand ?
The goal of this is to see if there is a point in trying to collect energy during your regular lifting session.

But if a bit of simple physics scare you to the point of calling me an autist, I guess I shouldn't be surprised you didn't understand
>>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430771/Worlds-self-powering-gym-uses-energy-WORKOUT-lights-dont-break.html
>>
Instead of doing weights get a rowing machine and hook it up to a generator that hooks up to a battery charger or something.
Same with the bike.
>>
Cardio would be most efficient

>Aerobic respiration is 19 times more effective at releasing energy than anaerobic respiration because aerobic processes extract most of the glucose molecules' energy in the form of ATP, while anaerobic processes leave most of the ATP-generating sources in the waste products.

No lactic acid build up from aerobic activities either
>>
So basically you're asking for an energy efficient routine? Any beginner strength training program
>>
anaerobic activity in itself is not energy efficient
>>
>energy created
>>
>>34987114
This
Bro science always finds a way to turn dumb again
>>
Even if you created perfect machines that pander to progressive strength training and energy storage, I think the amount of maintenance and materials it would cost wouldn't compare to the benefits.
>>
Flywheel energy storage.
>>
>>34986788
The potential energy is in the object itself not you dummy. You cannot create energy, but only transfer it.
>>
>>34986923
Magnetic resistance ones are not so great usually
>>
>>34990228
There is potential energy in all of us in the form of chemical bonds.
>>
>>34986788

You could harness the kinetic energy of the weights when they hit the floor, as you know mgL = mv*v, which means that the end speed is sqrt(gl/m). You might think that low m and high L would produce more energy, but no, since you have to incorporate the mass of the weight into the equation for the momentum which goes by the following:

momentum (G) = mass * velocity.

Basically momentum is greater with greater mass of the weights, so you have to find an optimal ratio between the mass of the weight and height in order to produce and optimal energy balance. If you used human power to do all the work you'd have to count in the expenses of food, drink and accommodation. With this comes the optimization of the number of people and the expenses related to accommodation of these people. Overall, I don't think human weightlifting power plants are a viable option.

t. chemistry student
>>
>>34986788
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, but it sounds like you want to lift, but somehow harness the energy from that movement and put it into a battery rather than your muscles. Is that right?

I don't think it matters how heavy you're lifting in that case. If you plan on siphoning the energy from your muscles, they're not going to move. If that's the case, just pick up a 15 lb dumbbell and curl it for 30 minutes. Your arm won't get the energy to move, but you'll have poured 30 minutes of curling power into that battery of yours. It seems a bit more practical than standing with a barbell across your shoulders trying to collect your squat power. But then, none of this seems very practical. I'm sure if there was a feasible way to collect energy straight form somebody's muscles, they would have done it by now.
>>
>>34986788
Well op, i think the question is rather that is it worth all the effort?

Say your weight lifted altogether equals potential energy wise to 3 tons to 1 meter high in a session. That's 30kJ. You could convert it to something like 6kJ at best. A 20% efficiency in converting mechanical work to stored energy in a homemade manner is considered good. 6kJ is about 1.66 Wh which is about 0.0003 USD.

So lift a lot, maybe you could get a dollar back in 20-30 years.
>>
>>34986842
nah kiddo you're just autistic
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.