[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the limit to muscle mass when you run alot.I was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7
File: Scooby_Biking.jpg (29 KB, 480x303) Image search: [Google]
Scooby_Biking.jpg
29 KB, 480x303
What is the limit to muscle mass when you run alot.I was wondering how much you can run before it will undoubtedly affect your physique despite the amount of calories you eat.
I mean scooby claims natty while doing things like double century.From his site
>I have focused my fitness goals on endurance events and sports. I have been doing long distance cycling races and triathlons and in 2012 achieved my fitness goals of doing a double century (200 mile bike race) and Half Ironman triathlon.
I don't want a scooby thread I'm just wondering when does running mess your lifts up even though you are eating enough.
>>
File: 1444515646900.jpg (57 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
1444515646900.jpg
57 KB, 500x267
>>
too many variables. try it yourself and see.
>>
>>34978565
I'd rather not.Though I'd assume obviously there is a distinction somewhere between a 10k runner and a triathlon competitor.Just when is too much.
>i just wanted to know what the consensus on /fit/ is even better if it has studies backing it
>>
>>34978545

No one knows
>>
>>34978545
Just eat more. Scooby does 1-2 hours of cardio a day
>>
>>34978589
there are a few studies on what is called the "interference effect", but they're not that great and not nearly as detailed as what you're asking for. that is, they only suggest that training strength and cardio at the same time will limit gainzzz. this is probably the best presentation:
http://youtu.be/TI-vJPFw-6o

I doubt there's a specific limit where it becomes "too much". More likely it's a continuum where the more cardio you do, the more it interferes with your lifting.
>>
>>34978631
Interesting.I will definetly watch that video tomorrow any more recommendations?
>I doubt there's a specific limit where it becomes "too much". More likely it's a continuum where the more cardio you do, the more it interferes with your lifting.
Other than Scooby can you ever say you saw a triathlon or double century participator have muscles and not just big ones most are really skinny.There must be more too it.Doesn;t more muscle mean more potential speed to an extent?Sorry if my post didn't make too much sense its getting late.
>>
>>34978545
Running is hard on your bones and joints among other things. The slow and controlled non olympic non quick lifts like in powerlifting rely on adequate bone strength/support.

It won't even be that the bones are close to breaking, your body will just make you not want to exert them at all because it wants to repair them ASAP.
>>
File: 1430076658102.png (90 KB, 583x430) Image search: [Google]
1430076658102.png
90 KB, 583x430
>>34978545
>>
>>34978681
>Doesn;t more muscle mean more potential speed to an extent
I messed up I meant to add that they could to an extent run faster if they had muscle.Obviously less weight means you have to use less energy to move.
>mfw thinking about this
>>
File: 1424467558183.png (431 KB, 599x769) Image search: [Google]
1424467558183.png
431 KB, 599x769
>>34978693
>>
File: ayy lmao.png (283 KB, 1000x541) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.png
283 KB, 1000x541
>>
>>34978685
I don't understand honestly.
>, your body will just make you not want to exert them at all because it wants to repair them ASAP.
I was mainly talking about at what limit of running do you lose mass despite meeting the increased caloric intake needed.Rest is obviously a factor.But what else?
>>
>>34978714
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qux9-HOm6eg
>>
>>34978681
>Doesn;t more muscle mean more potential speed to an extent?
You often find indoor sprint cyclists have a lot of muscle, and in the past there have been hill cyclists that have been bigger, tho now everyone outdoors is tiny p much.

It'll somewhat depend on what you want to do in the end. Some outdoor cyclists aren't the skinniest ever and do really well but they aren't massive either. Certainly no where near scooby. The main thing to my mind is how much oxygen the bigger muscles need (and to some degree can store) and how much oxygen your lungs and blood and heart can provide the muscles, so up until the heart and lungs top out and become a bottleneck building more muscle can help.

The thing to think about is when to use the extra power to best effect too. So the faster you go the more wind resistance will slow you down. Therefore put more energy into your hill climbs and less energy into your descents, because more of the energy in descent will be lost to drag and is thus inefficient. It's a good strategy for us bigger guys because we can muscle through the high resistance climb and the extra bulk makes the descent faster.
>>
File: runner-t.jpg (54 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
runner-t.jpg
54 KB, 450x450
>>34978756
I hope my thread doesn't die since I think this is an interesting topic but anyway.I assume you are the guy above thanks for the informative replies.You seem to really knowledgeable.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.