[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Bean Fiber Disparity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
How is it possible that these black beans have only 5g of fiber per 130g (probably less, since the grams include the weight of the fluids), yet 100g of black beans have at least 10g of fiber, if not more, according to USDA measurements? Am I missing something here?

http://www.simpletruth.com/products/canned-goods/beans/organic-black-beans/

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4755?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=35&offset=&sort=&qlookup=16016
>>
>>34975050

>cooked beans vs dried beans

How does beef jerky have more protein than steak?!
>>
>>34975210
What's your point exactly?
>>
>>34975299
Fiber is magic so it disappears when you cook it
>>
>>34975378
Even when I look at cooked canned black beans, the numbers still don't add up. The fiber is much closer (6.9g @ 100g), but there is a calorie deficit. The serving on this can is 130g at 110 calories. If I assume that the extra 30g is from the water and salt, then it would be 5g of fiber for 100g, but the calories should remain at 110. According to the USDA, however, 100g of cooked canned black beans should only be about 91 calories. The protein is also off by about a gram, as is the fat.

I understand that labels tend to round up or down, but these disparities are too big to be explained away with mere rounding.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4757?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=35&qlookup=canned+black+beans&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&_action_show=Apply+Changes&Qv=1&Q8953=1
>>
>>34975499

Listen, pal. If you know what's good for ya, you'll stop asking questions. Capeesh?
>>
>>34975050

1. Liquid was included in the can serving
2. There are more than one type of "black bean" so it could be a bit different from strain to strain
>>
>>34975683
anon this isn't an American gangster movie
>>
>>34975929
this plus the information on the label could be out of date
>>
>>34975499
Holy shit you are so fucking stupid, I'm embarrassed for you.
>>
>>34975499
Congratulations on actually thinking about what you're consuming. Now considering the fact that you were literally threatened here the next thing you should be doing is making your own beans from now on. You figured something out clearly if you're being threatened that they dont want the rest of the sheep putting together.
>>
Black beans are a great protein source. There are additives in the canned version that prob lower the level of fiber in them
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.