[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are these body types and their traits legitimate, or just completely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: bodytypes.jpg (52 KB, 680x472) Image search: [Google]
bodytypes.jpg
52 KB, 680x472
Are these body types and their traits legitimate, or just completely shit pseudo science?
>>
>>34973411
Already disproved this in the 90s I am pretty sure and people just sat with it to feel better about being fat or lengthy weaklings
>>
>>34973530
/thread
>>
>>34973411
yes, somatotypes are 100% bunk science.
saged so this thread can R.I.P
>>
>>34973411
dont know the science but i always assumed myself that this is more of a spectrum that we are all on instead of three catergories that we all fit into
>>
It's true because if given a fecal implant (yes, they exist and are used to treat otherwise untreatable viruses and conditions due to beneficial bacteria) from an obese person, it has been observed that then that person gets obese not shortly after.

Everyone's bacterial makeup in their stomach is different and craves different foods in different amounts. It's not so much your body that dictates this, it's bacteria.

To an extent it's what you eat, but definitely these types are true to an extent.
>>
File: 1385855506282.jpg (71 KB, 501x576) Image search: [Google]
1385855506282.jpg
71 KB, 501x576
>>34973411
Yes it's pseudoscience, just like how race and gender are pseudoscience.
>>
>>34973411
you can try categorizing body shapes into these categories similar for how faces we have oval square etc. But it doesn't tell you anything about how easy or difficult it is to put on muscle or weight
>>
>>34973984
Intestinal flora can definitely influence your brain which can have effects on your appetite, mood and etc. Intestinal flora has become a more popular research topic especially with fecal transplant becoming a medically recognized treatment for C. diff
>>
>>34973411
Of course they are legit. Haven't you noticed that literally every human being ever has one of these three body types and that no human body has ever differed from one of these?
>>
>>34973411
if you arent an ectomorph youre a tiny manlet

the wider you get then the shorter you look lmao
>>
A gross oversimplification of human body sizes/types. People ("ectomorphs" are especially guilty) like to use this as an excuse on why they can't change the way they look ie "bro I'm an ectomorph so it doesn't matter how much I eat, I will always be skinny or lean"
>>
>>34973984
Source?
I have a friend with an auto immune disease, has it been shown to help?
>>
>>34973411
these body types were not even fitness related to begin with

they are pseudoscience invented by a psychologist to show that people are born with body types which influence and determine their personality

lanky ectomorphs are shy
muscular mesomorphs are aggressive and energetic
endomorphs are fat and jolly

he said that all people are one of these 3 types at some level, based on a sliding scale of traits
>>
>>34973530
You can't "disprove" body types. The guy had a huge psychological thing he attached to it all, which wasn't "disproven" so much as fallen out of fashion. People obviously have different body types and that obviously affects their personality to some degree.
>>
It's more or so bone structure. And of course where your body predominantly places its fat.

The metabolism thing isn't true though. Peoples' metabolisms don't differentiate that much, and thus when you see skinny people saying "I eat a ton but never gain weight" they actually aren't eating enough food.
>>
>>34973411
Its kind of a general 'rule of thumb' to go by/label body types by, but its not a 100% hard and fast scientific rule.

Its best for being able to refer to a body type as rather than have to sit there and describe their entire body type. I.e. saying "hes an ectomorph" is much more concise than saying 'hes a tall lanky gangly toothpick looking motherfucker'
>>
>>34975320
Yeah just shit in his food and he'll get crazy weight gainz
>>
>>34973411
>tfw Ecto head, Meso torso, Endo legs

I look like a human traffic cone
>>
>/fit/izens actually believe this
fuck this board is shit
>>
>>34975895
This entirely.
The types are essentially just bone builds. I'm 6'2 but have pretty narrow shoulders so I can never look like an endo no matter how much muscle I put on. The other stuff is bullshit
>>
>>34975895
You've got it right but people's metabolisms do vary, something like up to 400 calories a day or something? I mean, that could be the difference between a regular and a skinny guy right there
>>
>>34976025
Not the best source but it'll suit this discussion's purpose adequately: http://www.raw-food-health.net/Metabolic-Rates.html

>Roughly half the population has metabolic rates which are within 200 calories of each other, or the food equivalent of two bananas a day (1).
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.