[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /fit/, I'm finally doing it. Today I've joined
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1443377402998.jpg (90 KB, 960x696) Image search: [Google]
1443377402998.jpg
90 KB, 960x696
Alright /fit/, I'm finally doing it. Today I've joined the 24 hour gym down the road and I'm gong to begin an actual lifting regimen. The last 8 months I've only been dieting and doing cardio to cut fat, which has been successful, but now I'm just a somewhat flabby skinny guy.

I've reread the sticky already, and I was just hoping to get some advice on the best diet/lifting methods that will fill me out with some muscle and help continue cutting the fat I still have left so my body composition evens out. Any advice would be much appreciated
>>
bumping myself
>>
Just do any of the popular linear progression routines on the internet (SS Greyskull whatever doesnt matter) for a few months, then move onto a 5/3/1 or a Juggernaut or a Texas method or any of the intermediate routines popular on the internet. To make sure you don't get fat, just keep yoru diet reasonable like you already are.
>>
>>34967625
So should I continue eating at a deficit or doing IF to get "leangains" or should I just start eating over my TDEE to gain mass?
>>
>>34967625
5/3/1 is awful
>>
>>34967655
OP here, what would you recommend then? I can't decide between SS and the Reg Parks routine from the sticky, I already have large quads and calves from being fat so the SS thing concerns me based on /fit/ always making jokes about it
>>
Contrary to 34967625, there really aren't any awful routines. 5/3/1 might be low on volume, but thats easily made up for by *gasp* adding a set or two.

Eat at a deficit as long as you intend to lose weight, up the calories when you feel you're lean enough.

SS gets made fun of mostly because mark Rippetoe is a douche. It'll do fine as a beginer routine for you. Anything with lots of compound lifts and a sensible amount of volume will.
>>
For the record, I did an only slightly modified starting strength for 5 months followed by about a year of 5/3/1, and my numbers were 405/290/535, and I'm no special athlete. The point of cookie cutter routiens is to get you to stop opver thinking and start lifting.
>>
>>34967966
So as long as I continue to eat at deficit and start lifting, I'll burn fat off but keep lean muscle right? That's all I want until I hit my low-fat body goal, then I'm going to start bulking

Sounds like SS will be the best option then, thank you!
>>
Pretty much man. Every body is different of course. but if you use your muscle and a high enough percentage of your diet is protein to maintain it, you're doing about as much as anyone can to maintain as much as possible without leaning out.

The real downfall to being on a caloric deficit is that it'll definitely slow down improvement. just make sure you're not losing more than 5-10 pounds a month and it shouldn't be that drastic.
>>
>>34968112
Well I've lost 100lbs since March 1st, and all I did was cardio and dieting so unfortunately I'm just a skinny blob now with no definition. As long as I can make the love handles melt off while lifting, I think I can balance out nicely. I don't even mind losing a little muscle mass as long as I can slim all the way down and start fresh from semi-skeleton mode

I appreciate the response man, thank you
>>
File: circle+of+healing[1].jpg (89 KB, 580x344) Image search: [Google]
circle+of+healing[1].jpg
89 KB, 580x344
>>34967559
>keep weight on heals
>>
No problem dude. btw, one more thing, while SS is a decent routine, most of ripps form advice is absolute shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw this is probably the best form howto for the squat on the internet. For bench, Dave Tate's "So you think you can bench" videos are pretty good and on youtube. and for deadlifts the "so you think you can deadlift" dave tate videos are good. His squat video is how to box squat for geared lifters, so ignore that shit.
>>
Just got back from visiting the gym and getting the info on it. Irish gym owner wanted to immediately get me into a 1 year contract and 5-session personal workout plan with him after I said I lost 100lbs in 7 months. I honestly don't know what to do here, it's a bit expensive but it would be nice to have guidance

Maybe I should just stay at home with my 80lb barbell and practice form for awhile?
>>
>>34967559
Fitness is about time, dedication, discipline, routine, and focus. It has very little to do with >which< "system" you use (as long as you get someone to walk you through the process because building good habits in the beginning is what's important) especially at the beginner level. Any personal trainer will tell you that the challenge of a lot of people is just showing up every day and putting in the hours.
>>
>>34969726
Well luckily I am dedicated, I'm just so frightened of getting screwed out of a couple hundred bucks because the gym coach wants to "help" me. I told him my goal was to lose the rest of my love handles and feel good in clothes again, and he told me to stop skimping on calories and just start lifting because it'll take years to lose love handles

What do I do here, you seem to know your shit. Please guide me. I have no problem with dedication and putting time in
>>
>>34969756
I went to a university gym and took a class in weight lifting. They have one for machines and one for freeweights. They're often taught by the freeweight or former freeweight coaches from the teams. Especially if you get financial aid, it's a great supplement to a weight training program.
>>
>>34969631

i pay month to month at my 24/7 gym, fuck contracts.

fuck contracts for real.
>>
>>34967559
>keep weight on heals
>>
>>34968153
As a medic I find this highly insulting, I'm already working hard to provide good med cover and yet people keep trying to put more pressure on me.
>>
>>34967559
That picture not only gives shit advice, it also has bad spelling.
>Keep weight on _heals_
>Push _gluts_ backward
>Continue _decent_ until...
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.