[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
U mad fit faggots ? http://qz.com/550527/obesity-parado x-s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: checkyourprivilege.jpg (133 KB, 1241x944) Image search: [Google]
checkyourprivilege.jpg
133 KB, 1241x944
U mad fit faggots ?

http://qz.com/550527/obesity-paradox-scientists-now-think-that-being-overweight-is-sometimes-good-for-your-health/
>>
>>34966785
overweight =/= obese
I cannot stress this enough
>>
>>34966829
people completely overestimate how large you need to be to be obese. like, we see the giant lards on scooters and assume THAT is obese, but in reality many fat people who assume their just overweight are in fact obese.
>>
>>34966833

I thought it was BMI based or something.
>>
not mad just laughing at how much fatties delude themselves
>>
File: 1442194985172.jpg (42 KB, 300x303) Image search: [Google]
1442194985172.jpg
42 KB, 300x303
>>34966785

>"scientists"

>implying that means they're trustworthy
>>
>>34966785
BMI is bullshit. It makes no differentiation between muscle and fat, ie. prime ronnie coleman would be considered morbidly obese because he is 300lbs at 5'11. In other words, they also could have said "putting on muscle is good for your health" using the same exact data, but they didn't because that would make fatites feel bad.
>>
>overweight
Carrying a few extra pounds probably helps with insulation and protects your guts and shit. The recommended body weights are fucking low anyway, they say the low end for a 6'1 person is less than 150lbs. I'd say anywhere from 160-200 is reasonable.

>obese
Literally no excuse, nothing but health problems.
>>
>>34966864
Bmi is complete bullshit and obsolete. Arnold in his prime would have been obese on the bmi.

They decide it by bodyfat %, which is much more relevant than weight/height
>>
File: obesity vs normality.jpg (29 KB, 490x445) Image search: [Google]
obesity vs normality.jpg
29 KB, 490x445
The article states that the slightly overweight fare better than the non-overweight when it comes to chronic conditions, such as heart disease. You know who is the healthiest? People without heart disease.
>>
>>34966864
it is- a bmi of 30 is obese. Anon is talking out of his ass. If anything people underestimate what it takes to be obese.
>>
>>34966785
>>34966829
>>34966885

if by overweight they mean you have a slight layer over your abs obstructing them. maybe a little pooch.

then they are right. this is more healthy then sub 10% BF

of course as long as you work out eat healthy yadda yadabadaba.

but in all this would equate to what? maybe a year extra on this earth. not so worth it.

if you are at the beer belly stage you will most definitely live shorter life
>>
>>34966980
Looks like the fat person has fat in the brain, lel.
>>
>>34966920
It isn't completely bullshit.
Unless you have a low body fat %, BMI is a pretty good measure of how healthy you actually are.
Exceptions do not invalidate the rule.
>>
It is BMI based

I have a 15% body fat because it is best fir rugby and MMA

I am classified as fat/ obese with a BMI of 29

even though I have visible abs BMI does not reflect fat.

Those in the overweight category could be buff meatheads.

So please don't take this at face value and get fat.

that being said 12-15% bf is god tier, don't give a fuck about aesthetic manlets who can't take a punch or tackle
>>
>>34966785
this is the conclusion of the source the article used:

>Relative to normal weight, obesity (all grades) and grades 2 and 3 obesity were both associated with significantly higher all-cause mortality. Grade 1 obesity was not associated with higher mortality

So being slightly overweight is fine, but any fatter is unhealthy. They are literally stating something we've always known and fatties are blowing it out of proportion
>>
>>34966785
>hambeast running
not even the picture is believable, how do people fall for this?
>>
File: bmilol.png (38 KB, 540x463) Image search: [Google]
bmilol.png
38 KB, 540x463
>tfw overweight with abs
>>
>>34966785
do you also notice how scientists constantly change their opinion on virtually every subject. Don't get me wrong I understand the core value of science is continually testing ideas. But this ping pong of this will give you cancer, oh no this will give you cancer, this is health,this isn't health. Honestly just eat right and exercise and a enjoy life and try not to worry or read into all these studies imo.
>>
delete this
>>
>>34966785
>That picture
I like how they need to use a heavily stylized image in order to portray obesity in a positive way.
>>
>>34966920
Its only bullshit if your fit

If your a fat fuck it works pretty well
>>
>>34966974
The BMI index works for like 90% of people. Anyone who's a normie by fit standards, it'll work for. Yes, if you're 5'8" and 220lbs, but have a bodyfat% of 12, it doesn't work for you, but for the majority of people, it is accurate, especially with the recent update senpai
>>
>>34967054
That's actually the media grossly blowing scientific reports out of proportion. Remember when the "meat causes cancer" thing came out? If you read the actual study, it said that eating certain types of red meat daily (ie. 2 strips of bacon a day) will increase your odds of getting colorectal cancer from 5% to 6% over the course of your lifetime.

Or how about all those times you hear on the news "wine is good for you" then "wine is bad for you." Sciences shows that the antioxidants in wine are good for you and that drinking booze is bad for you. This is common sense shit that'also supported by research but then reported terribly by the media because nuance doesn't grab attention.
>>
>>34966996
>>34967088
>>34967091
This is my point exactly. The bmi is bullshit because it assumes that any "extra weight" is fat. A test that is wrong 10% of the time is a bad test.
>>
>>34966785
scientist in training here

Perhaps you already know that some scientist said there is no global warming and some still believe in sky santa
>>
>>34967110
BMI is not a "test". BMI is just your weight divided by the square of your height. How you interpret this quantity is of course up to individual measure. Saying BMI is bullshit is like saying density is bullshit because a hollow sphere of gold is a lot less dense than pure gold.
>>
>>34967110
>A test that is wrong 10% of the time is a bad test.
You obviously don't have a strong grasp on statistics. A test that is right 90% of the time is a fantastic test.
>>
>>34966988
Brain is mostly fat dumbass
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 255x164) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 255x164
>>34967035
>6'1 200 lbs
>overweight
when will you smallfats learn?
>>
DELETE THIS
>>
>>34966829
Yeah this, very much. You can be a couple of kg overweight and people will look at you and think you're normalweight. Being obese like the chick in the article illustration is a very different thing.
>>
They always talk about how obese/overweight people have lower mortality rates than normalweight/underweight people.

Which is logical. You get sick, you get fucked by your body and the more energy reserves you have on you, the more likely are you to make it through to the complications.

What they never mention is that obese people are much more likely to suffer all those health diseases/complications that they're also more likely to survive from.

Of course the medical lobby is overjoyed!
You can get people to become fat as fuck and that way need more and more medical attention = more money into the industrial medicine complex.
And whats best. THEY FUCKING SURVIVE IT! You make them fat, milk them from the side effects and then you also get to milk them even more because in the end they survive everything.

Fuck fatties
>>
>>34966980
Yes, the -slightly- overweight, not the significantly overweight, not fat, and definitely not the obese. I wish this distinction was emphasised more
>>
the same scientists who cant cure heart disease or aids

not jealous at all hell i think its funny that people still pay for the bullshit
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.