[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it reasonably possible to over extend your back during a squat.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: helpFormSquatFu.png (25 KB, 240x230) Image search: [Google]
helpFormSquatFu.png
25 KB, 240x230
is it reasonably possible to over extend your back during a squat.

I'm talking about flexing too far back
>>
>>34966407
no because you'll fall over
>>
>>34966407
>don't keep a neutral spine
>>
>>34966464
that's my question.

i don't have a good spotter for squats so to compensate i just flex my back hard to prevent rounding. i feel that this will eventually fuck me up if it hasn't already. something something lordosis
>>
>>34966407
It's bad. I had trouble controlling it (never had problems with rounding on the other hand). Ribcage down was the most important cue for me. But remember, stay tight all over your torso, breathe in, push the air down your stomach and keep it there.
Also, there is nothing wrong with looking slightly down if that allows you to maintain tight core and neutral spine.
>>
>>34966588
>Also, there is nothing wrong with looking slightly down if that allows you to maintain tight core and neutral spine.
It's actually the opposite. You are supposed to keep your head neutral. In the picture, the upper left one is looking up and the lower left one has her head in line with her spine.
And some slight rounding usually happens on the lower part of the squat, nobody is exempt from that.
>>
>>34966407
>>34966588
You should start heavy low bar squat. I don't think you can have you chest too upright then.
>>
>>34966626
In that picture her head isn't neutral because her neck has to hyper extend to keep looking ahead. She should be looking down so that her neck is in line with her back.
>>
>>34966653
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. lifting alone is a double edge sword. on one hand you waste no time, on the other hand you don't have a bro.
>>
back flexion = rounding your back

dont talk about "flexing your back" when you talk about engaging your back musculature to extend your back

and yes, its possible. women often do it.
>>
>>34966682
record your lifts m8. It helps a ton.
>>
>>34966706
i said extend in the first sentence, then tried to dumb it down because extension sounds like you're lengthening the back.

forgive me senpai
>>
File: 1442194985144.jpg (85 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1442194985144.jpg
85 KB, 640x640
>>34966407

Candito has a good video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-siVhUVReA
>>
>>34966475
it's fine, a 'hollow' back is a strong back.
>>
there didnt seem to be a consensus in this thread but yes it is possible to over extend your back during a squat

it is vital that you are neutral when you're placing a huge amount of mass on the top of your spine and bouncing up and down. excessive flexion under load is what everyone talks about because of everyone losing there shit about discs 30 years ago or so, but excessive extension under load can do damage/sensitive plenty of other parts of the spinal column

lighten the load and see if you can maintain neutral through range, if you can't you need to learn how to move you pelvis independently so that you can actually find neutral then slowly add load while practicing perfect form. working on your hip flexion and dorsiflexion range will also make this entire task easier if they're currently tight
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.