[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any /fit/izens out there struggle with depression? Just wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 1393455561070.jpg (252 KB, 1088x1600) Image search: [Google]
1393455561070.jpg
252 KB, 1088x1600
Do any /fit/izens out there struggle with depression? Just wondering how you guys have been dealing with it and how it effects your work out.
>>
>>34949496
I got diagnosed with depression. Meds super fucked me up. Went off the meds and went to the gym will never look back.
>>
Seek Allah Subhana Wa'tala.
>>
>>34949584
The gym has lost its effectiveness for me honestly. I was looking at being prescribed something but have only heard horror stories like this. Someone recommended St. John's Wort to me and I might give it a shot
>>
>>34949584
St. John's Wort can help for mild to moderate depression. I managed to get my depression gone, and, while I can't attribute it to St. John's Wort entirely, I was taking it when my depression started getting infinitely better.

Being productive was the best thing for my depression. Getting employed really helped me get into a healthy routine, and gave my brain something else to focus on for a few hours a day.
>>
Been diagnosed for 2 years now, but I suspect I've had it for a lot longer.

I've started and stopped working out so many times over the past 4 years because I lose all motivation to do anything when the intrusive thoughts hit, and they hit hard. Going to the gym used to make it worse because I couldn't stand failing a rep or seeing how much progress I would lose. That stopped when I got on meds though. SSRIs were awful, so now I'm on Wellbutrin and I thought I was getting better but I think I need my dose increased again because the suicidal thoughts are back.

Now I just live for my workouts. I still have little to no hope for the future but that all goes away when I go to the gym or go running.
>>
>>34949496
would have probably killed myself if not for beginning to lift.
>>
>>34949496
I don't struggle with depression but I do hate myself
>>
>>34949641
Cool I will definitely give St. John's a shot.
>>
>>34949647
Nice to hear that some meds can help for a bit. Stay strong and keep going to the gym. You aren't alone.
>>
>>34949496
I started self medicating with modafinil. I struggled with lack of motivation and drowzyness. That gave me a lot of anxiety and depression. It has helped and I trully feel I am getting better each day. Becoming productive, reading more, feeling better, I am also in therapy. That is helping too so you have to do whatever it takes to feel better. Take care OP.
>>
>>34949753
Thanks for the reply. I'm getting over my own mental stigma of therapists and trying to convince myself of going to a formal therapy session.
>>
>>34949804
You gotta try. Even the minuscule step of actually trying is a good sign. One thing my therapist told me could help you too. When you have therapy the things you discuss and reflect on keep affecting your subconscious even after the therapy session is over. You gotta try. Even if this means changing your surroundings. Escaping from a disfunctional relationship and even your friends and family. Moving from your comfort zone is sometimes needed.
>>
I'm too weak. Planning on killing myself in January.
>>
>>34949873
You shouldn't do it anon. Read Myth of Sisyphus first. If that doesn't help read Kierkegaard's The Sickness Unto Death.
>>
>>34949865
I will definitely sign up for a session when I have some free time.
>>
>>34949596
/thread
>>
>>>/adv/
>>
>>34949641
> St. Johns' Wort

I'll give it a shot as well.

> Having a job

That would explain a lot. I got a job in research and was getting great hours at first, and felt on top of the world. After about a year and a half it unfortunately devolved into a few hours of monotonous work per week, and now I'm basically unemployed.

Being isolated from others for extended periods usually comes with the territory for laboratory jobs. Given that, I've also devolved into a social retard, with a mild degree of social anxiety. If it's one thing I miss about my old job delivering pizzas, it's the social interaction, especially with female coworkers (especially ones that don't have a chip on their shoulder for being an "oppressed" woman in a STEM field). That job also got me laid a few times, but I digress. Time to find a professional job again, one that hopefully entails working with others often.

I'll be damned if I ever consider pharmaceutical remedies though, like SSRIs; a great way to permanently fuck up your psyche, and another way that (largely) male issues are corrected through chemical reprogramming.
>>
>>34949496
I've been deeply depressed since I was a teenager. LONG time ago.
You can only learn to live with it and fight through the dark times.
Build up some healthy coping strategies and find someplace to chill when the world becomes overwhelming.
>>
I started getting a lot of anxiety when I was in 7th grade because my parents expected me to be the golden child who would graduate college and get a job and a wife and et cetera. Felt guilty for wanting to do nothing but play vidya, sleep in, and wank.

Continued into highschool. Got my Eagle Scout, was captain of the Highschool track & field, played soccer for the school and for 2 leagues out of school, took additional classes at the community college since 9th grade, graduated with a 4.something, got accepted into UC Davis for engineering, was pretty much a perfect kid. My girlfriend at the time was a perfect kid too, state athlete, pianist for community events, scholarship to some private christain college for music. Nobody knew about my anxiety.

Carried through almost 2 years of college with decent grades before I crumpled. I just couldn't cope with the fucking anxiety. Just anxious/guilty 24 hours a day. Stopped going to class, stopped going to work, stopped talking to my parents, stopped talking to my friends. I just fell off the face of the earth for 6 months, then fluttered in and out of a depressed haze for about 2 years.

Now I'm 23 and living with my parents and unemployed. A really big failure. My parents are supportive, and I don't know how my dear old grandpa feels towards me. A giant old-fashioned protestant farmer who graduated from UC Davis and who I think used to like me the best of his grandchildren.

I plan on getting a job soon, I've got professional driving experience and a valid Class B license, and I'm going back to school in the fall. I've also got this incredibly supportive girlfriend. I don't understand, she knows I'm a fuck up, she knows she can get someone better, yet she's not trying to fix me or nagging me to get shit done, she just enjoys spending romantic time with me and letting me play the big man around her. She told me once that she thinks that I'm mysterious and moody, if only she knew how petty and base my thoughts were
>>
>>34951029
>> St. Johns' Wort
>I'll give it a shot as well.
Keep in mind that due to the massive lack of regulation in the herbal supplements industry two given doses can have different amounts of the active ingredient./
>>
>>34952195
And after all this time to reflect, all this time to get my shit back together, and all these supportive people around me, I still feel weak and on the edge. Is there like an AA for depressed people? Apparently the anti-depressant drugs are worse than no treatment. What can be done?
>>
If you cant help yourself then help others. The appreciation towards you makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
>>
>>34949496
I don't know if it's depression as such, but I get a bit down from time to time. I just hit weights harder and do a bit of cardio at the end of my work out, always works!
>>
>>34949611
>>34949641
As a note, St. Johns wort has loads of side effects so read up on it before using. It also interferes with AIDS medication among others. Be careful senpai.
>>
Look up phenibut , ut helps a lot uf you have anxiety, us pretty cheap too.
>>
I pretty much cured my depression by starting to lift. After a while it started coming back. I was stuck in a job I hated, but with the mentality I got from lifting (if you don't like it, change it) I made some pretty drastic changes to my life, and I feel that I'm moving forwards again.

In hindsight, I think my depression just stemmed from a fear of stagnation. It goes away as long as I feel like I'm progressing in life.
>>
>>34949947
Yeah you should. Some other anons have pointed out that having a job is important too. In my case i have very shitty career prospects. However I forced myself to take a job in order for me to get out of the house and do something else than just staring at a computer screen all day. It forces me to do something else and to interact. I despise it but it just helps me. I think that neet life makes you unsensitized to the "real" world. Socializing even in work settings is imperative. Is the most basic thing and when people miss that they start to go downhill.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.