[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/, so I'm 24 years old and I got braces. Yeah I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10
File: dental-braces.jpg (26 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
dental-braces.jpg
26 KB, 500x319
Hey /fit/, so I'm 24 years old and I got braces. Yeah I know, I've been too poor and unaware to get it done by now but that's part of self improvement I'm trying to establish.
My question is,
how would you react if you see an adult with braces in your gym?
It also hurts like my head is about to fucking explode so should I skip gym for a few days?
>>
>>34949144
>how would you react if you see an adult with braces in your gym?
I wouldn't fucking notice. I don't ever notice. I'm too engrossed in my own work out. How often do you notice someone having braces at all, let alone give a shit in the slightest?
>>
File: 1aaa.png (431 KB, 815x681) Image search: [Google]
1aaa.png
431 KB, 815x681
Funny, at the age of 24 I am also getting braces finally, I dont think anyone cares, especially at the gym

You're friends (lol) will definitely laugh
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 250x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 250x322
This is dumb. Do your thing. Improving your body and your busted grill. Stop worrying and become a swan young man
>>
>>34949144
>tfw perfectly straight teeth including 4 functioning wisdom teeth
You should slap your parents in the face for not feeding you a better diet as a child to properly develop your jaw
>>
22 here, and I got braces a few weeks ago.

I'd say skip gym if you have a tendency to clench your jaw during heavy lifts.

The pain will mostly disappear after a week or two (except for front teeth I've found, which will still be a bit tender)

Also like 50% of all people have had braces at some point, mainly in high school. People will be fine with it.
>>
>>34949238
It's actually genetics man. My dad has the same fucked up teeth but during his time (he grew up in USSR and then in the 90's moved to the Canada) it wasn't something to be concerned of. I should slap them however for neglecting it throughout my entire teenage years where I was afraid to smile or speak to other people and that crashed my confidence probably forever.
>>
>>34949144
>It also hurts like my head is about to fucking explode
wait till you start going back to get the wires tightened. enjoy that.
just keep going to the gym, you'll be fine so long as you're not doing chewing exercises.
>>
>>34949144
>>34949204
>>34949263

kek i got them removed when i was 19

enjoy looking like a balding teenager

FAGS
>>
>>34949270
Scientific research says otherwise, genetics plays a role but your father almost definitely has fucked up teeth because he ate shitty Soviet food

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15183669
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3470182
>>
>>34949144
No one gives a shit OP. And even if they do it don't fucking matter. Life becomes infinitely better when you stop giving a shit about shit that don't matter.
>>
I had braces back in highschool. Best advice is to not worry about what people think. What you should really worry about is making sure you don't get food trapped anywhere near the back teeth. That shit can be hard to get out and you'll have nasty breath until the next time you go to the dentist. Don't chew on anything hard like peanuts either, shit could snap and cut the insides of your mouth
>>
>>34949293
>tfw I was literally a balding teenager
Thankfully I'm on minox now so it's stopped getting worse, just wish I'd started using it sooner
>>
>>34949293
Jokes on you they're behind my teeth.
>>
>>34949327
good thing you don't talk a lot with people you fucking loser lmao
>>
>>34949333

y so bully
>>
>>34949144
I'm 25 and I want to get braces. But I can't afford them right now... You're fine, OP.
>>
>>34949340
jk bby you know i loves you

but seriously you'll talk like a retard if you have them behind your teeth
>>
>>34949327
>not getting invisalign
for what purpose
>>
>>34949374
it takes longer and it doesn't have the same results
>>
>>34949384
Kek, be honest anon, you didn't get invisalign because you can't afford it
>>
I need to get braces too
thats one thing I'm self conscious about is my jacked up teeth
>>
>>34949144
Enjoy getting a retainer. Imagine all the pain of braces but constantly for about two days.
>>
I'd think they give a fuck about their appearance and trying to better themselves. Or not care.
>>
I'd probably never notice. If I did at worst I wouldn't care, but I've always thought braces looked cute on people (especially girls).
>>
>>34949402

I know in Los Angeles (the cosmetic capitol of the world), braces are the same price of invisalign if not more expensive. I also know that outside of the US this might be different.
>>
File: 1447720360848.jpg (2 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
1447720360848.jpg
2 MB, 2736x3648
>>34949402

Lingual braces are more expensive than invisalign
>>
>>34949144
i wouldnt give a fuck, i just empathize with you mostly since it hurts like a motherfucker sometimes when you get them tightened, and its awful at first.
>>
>>34949144
I'm so conditioned to seeing braces so often, I don;t really notice them, even with adults.
>>
>>34949144
No one fucking cares you idiot.
>>
really regret not getting them in high school
can anyone vouch for anything other than traditional braces, I'm self conscious enough as it is?
>>
>>34949759
Traditional braces are ugly as fuck and you can forget about having any contact with girls aside from when they laugh at you but no matter what you get, the result at the end where you can smile and speak to other people is so good I wouldn't have replaced it with anything else.
People who were born with perfect teeth would never know that feeling or relief and joy after you get your braces removed. It's like being paralyzed for most of your life and then one day being able to walk.
>>
how to get braces when poor as fuck in the US?

I'm desperate it's my biggest insecurity
>>
>>34949792
How much does it cost senpai? You can work some payments maybe or switch doctors through the middle
>>
>>34949803
>How much does it cost

no fucking clue.

was supposed to get them when I was young, I think I was scared and said no and my dad was cool with it because he is a cheap jew

one of my biggest fuck ups.

I'm 24 now
>>
>>34949792
Get a(nother) job.
Preferably one that provides full dental.
>>
>>34949833
Are they like on top of each other or gaps?
>>
>>34949144
dude I would not care one bit.
>>
>>34949862
crooked gap

my other teeth are fine but the two in the front
>>
I dont think anyone cares. Not sure if females care but i've gone on dates and no one has said anything other than "how long you got them for?" Though maybe theyre just being nice. I have clear braces on the top row of teeth so they aren't completely obvious.
My friends didn't really even say anything other than "let me see."

I'm 20 btw.

>>34949792
I currently have braces and they were around $4,000 total. My insurance paid for about half. I am suppose to have them on for about 15 months and I pay $135/mo. My teeth weren't really messed up to begin with though so I only have to have them on for abit. If yours are real bad they might cost more I'm not sure.
I'm pretty sure you can go to a orthodontist and ask for an estimate.
>>
>>34949899
alright cool man thanks.

I'll look into it when I'm not scrounging for 20 bucks every week :/

life is suffering
>>
>>34949899
kek

FAG

theyre clearly disgusted as fuck with you bcus they think you cant floss or brush properly with that metal

kek
>>
why the fuck didn't you just get invisalign?
>>
>>34949899
so you paid 4000 out of pocket or only 2000?
>>
>>34949962
$4,000+ was the total. My insurance paid for about half, so I'm paying the other half with monthly payments of $135. So around $2,500 is what I'm paying in the end.
>>
>>34949950
Situation was extremely bad
>>
>>34950016
how much more is invisalign than regular braces?
>>
>>34949791
Approaching the end of my brace treatment. I don't grin smile a lot but tend to close mouthed smile to hide them also I get more looks than I did before I had 2 power chains put on. Nose looks smaller, head has become a symmetrical, and I'm happy with my jaw now. I'm a 6 on a bad day, but an 8.5 after a pump and haircut...26 btw
>>
>>34949144
literally zero care. outside of the gym when i see an adult with braces - zero care. they got what their mouth needed at the time and how can you honestly hate on dental health in adults? (besides middle school teasing and friends making fun of you.)
>>
>>34950030
Slightly more I think but my teeth situation was extremely severe so I had to go the old fashioned way
>>
File: 1446953253939.jpg (72 KB, 600x608) Image search: [Google]
1446953253939.jpg
72 KB, 600x608
>>34949144

Don't worry about it, no one gives a shit. I had braces in my late 20s and early 30s – not everyone can get it done as a kid.

Whether you skip the gym because of it is up to you, but that seems like a pretty weak excuse to miss a workout.
>>
I'm 21 with braces no1 cares mate
>>
let's put it this way

if you see an adult with braces do you think

>"omg făm! so fucking ugly"
or
>"oh they have braces, they are older than usual but w/e"
>>
>>34950669
OP here,
I love you anon.
Thanks for putting it into simple perspective
>>
>>34950669
I usually think "oh man, braces in his/her 20... I feel bad for him/her"

I don't personally judge but I can empathize how awful it must be. You are definitely 100% getting judged by a lot of people tho, but if you need braces, you were probably already being judged for your messed up teeth
>>
>>34950733
>>34950733

well people judge others on such trivial and superficial things.

it's human nature.
most won't say anything or make it obvious, and if they do they are rude ignorant faggots not worth getting upset over
>>
File: roof_saint_laurent.jpg (121 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
roof_saint_laurent.jpg
121 KB, 1080x720
>>34949792

You need a better job. If you live near a teaching hospital with a really good ortho program, you might be able to get treated for less than you'd pay a dentist with their own practice, but it'll still cost you. Ideally, you'll pay monthly, so it won't be a huge investment up front.
>>
>>34950837

>You need a better job.

i really do.
I'm a big fucking loser and don't own a car (have repeatedly made terrible financial decisions) so I need to save up at the turtle-pace I am able to I order to get a decent job.

shit sucks m8s
>>
>>34949144
kek
>>
I don't understand why you people in your 20s dont get maxillofacial surgery instead. You get your teeth into perfect alignment straight away and youll only have to wait out a month before you feel normal again compared to wearing braces.
>>
>>34950957
how much does that shit even cost
>>
>>34949384
>>34949459

Long beach here and 8 months into invisalign. Was quoted the same price for invisalign vs normal from my ortho but this guy is in the top 2% of invisalign providers so he pushes it pretty heavy.

It actually is gonna be a shorter treatment time by about 6 months for me because you can distalize (ie push back) the molars to make room for frontal crowding while doing general treatment. Otherwise i would have had to do the distalization for 6 months then start wired braces. Going invisalign also saved me from getting a tooth pulled. Really happy with my decision so far. $6k for 2 years.
>>
File: wIkkZIq.jpg (148 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
wIkkZIq.jpg
148 KB, 537x720
I had mine for about 2.5 years.
Removed at 23.
Nobody really notices.
Also, it was kind of hard to smile because my lips would get stuck on the braces.

Good investment.
>>
Come on OP I'm 23 and I see people with braces all the time, its not that big of a deal. I also have braces.

>had braces since I was 13 because they were crooked and I'm missing 4 or 5 permanent teeth
>got them removed at 18 after getting sick of them and finally them being not so crooked, still lacked some treatment though
>a year after that they become crooked because i didn't use my retainer
>got sick of them being crooked and commit for real
>get them back on at 18 and still have them

I know its my fault for missing all these appointments but oh well. One day they'll come off and I'll be able to smile without worry.
>>
if anything they endear me to you, i see a trophy for your hard work in self improvement, plus i know how it feels, had them at 17, hardly smiled at school, when i did i'd put my hand to my mouth. it destroys ones sense of self you know?
>>
>>34949279
>wait till you start going back to get the wires tightened. enjoy that.
This, holy shit, the year I had braces was the most painful one I've lived.
>>
>>34949144
Got plates at 9 til I was 11.
Braces at 14 to 16.
Night retainer until 18
Teeth got bad
Too many teeth for Mouth
At 21 got 8 teeth removed
Now 22, have braces again.

No biggie, when you have perfect teeth, it will be worth it
>>
>>34949144
I'm gonna do it bruh, braces at 25
>>
>>34949144
i just got my braces, im 30 yrs old, i dont give a fuck what others think, in one year i will have a nice smile
>>
>>34949803
i pay 88 dlls a month for 18 months
>>
>>34949144
>How would you react if you see an adult with braces in my gym?

"Oh wow, that guy has braces. You don't see that too often."

That's literally it. Nothing negative. If anything, I'd be more inclined to talk to you.
>>
>>34949312
I was a balding teenager and now I'm a balding man. I stopped giving a fuck about hair around 17 years old
>>
>>34949238
So you share something in common with abbos and other more primitive stages of the human evolution.
I wouldn't be too proud of that.
>>
>>34950016
You're a big guy.
>>
>>34949238
>have 4 fully functional wisdom teeth
>have extra teeth growing behind my teeth
>tfw I'm shark mode now
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 616x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 616x523
>>34949144
OP, i'm 19 with braces and i'm doing just fine. I sonehow still can get laid with these things on
Pic related
>>
ewww
>>
>>34949144
>be 28 and still saving for barces

feels bad
>>
>>34953917
Disgusting shitskin
>>
i had braces when i was young. perfect teeth now. wouldnt care if i seen someone with them

enjoy not eating solids for a week every couple months when they tighten them. FUCK that is some painful shit
>>
D-Does anyone have a grills with braces folder?
>>
i actually get more annoyed when i see a perfect smile that has obviously undergone braces treatment.

you dont want that smile to be too perfect or you'll look like an android.
>>
>>34956365
sfw-board sorry fäm
>>
>tfw having braces gave me halitophobia and that shit is something i think about during literally every social interaction in my entire life for the past 6 years

I'm n-not gonna make it.
>>
Best advice about braces I can give is use those wafers they give you to chew on. However they always say to chew on it for 30 minutes. Do not do that! After tightening chew on that shit for hours. They'll feel much better later
>>
>>34953917

Keith and Kevin Hodge you can't hide anonymously on this board forever.
>>
>>34949144
I wouldn't care, also skip the gym for a few days
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.