[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /fit/ This is the anon from yesterday. Yesterday I claimed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2
File: running.jpg (229 KB, 1188x1028) Image search: [Google]
running.jpg
229 KB, 1188x1028
Sup /fit/

This is the anon from yesterday. Yesterday I claimed I ran 2km in 15mins which many of you flipped their shit about since it was apparently slow as fuck. Eventhough I trained 6 months to get there but I obviously trained wrong.

This morning I started early and I actually clocked myself.

This morning I did 5km (3.1m) in 25minutes and 47 seconds. I did 5 rounds of 1km. But it was almost one minute too slow/late. Now I didn't do this consecutive (without breaks). I did actually slowed down and started walking for 30secs to 1 minute near the end (after 3 rounds). So i'm definately not as bad off as I first thought, however it's obviously not good enough yet.

How the hell do I make it so I can guarantee I make the test in 3 weeks (where I need to run 5km (3.1mile) in 25minutes)?

Thanks alot for your time, patience and advice
>>
>>34939712
Also on a side note: I always train/run in the early mornings (between 6am and 7am. However the test is probably at night after 6pm.

Would this make a big difference?

Maybe I dont run so fast yet since I start running 10mins after I eat a banana and drink half a liter water with protein shake?

thanks!
>>
Keep running. Lots.
It's not that fast so you can improve to that point quickly.
>>
>>34939712
only off by 47 seconds and you have 3 weeks?

your gonna make it, brah.
just keep runnan.

also fuck /fit/ they don't even know what running is like. they think cardio kills gains so they don't know shit about dick when it comes to it.

for being noob, that isn't bad.

not great, but it falls in the "mediocre" territory.
which is where a noob should be.
>>
>>34939732
Try get some practice in at night, to see if your schedule/diet effects you. I'm always tastes in the afternoon, myself. Unless I eat a lot the night before a morning run.
>>
>>34939737
Is it really bad that I sometimes slowed down and started walking for 30 to 60 secs?

After 3 rounds or something I almost fell down so I started walking. Then when my breathing started to get normal I ran again and then after a while I walked again for 30 to 60 secs.

I maybe had 4 or 5 walking breaks.
>>
>>34939732
>Would this make a big difference?
nah
>>
>>34939744
Yes to be honest. Practice running 5k (however slowly) without stopping. Running 5x1k is quite qualitatively different. Even if you need to run slower, make sure you never stop. In 3 weeks you'll b fast enough
>>
>>34939712
I'm fat as shit and don't know anything about running, but that seems okay to me, especially if you've got 3 weeks to shave of 47 seconds.

Meal timing does matter to myself at least, I try to get my carbs in at least 30 minutes before the comp.
>>
>>34939742
yeah but i barely fucking made it and i did some walking in between.

i almost thought about quitting a few times during the run

>>34939743
yeah i guess i need to do this too.

I am trying to be really careful now though. Normally I run 3 days in the week (Te, Tu, Sa) and I go to the gym 3 days in the week (Mo, We, Fr). Should I also try to run on gym days or should I just do the treadmill on gym days?

>>34939748
I thought maybe cause of breakfast or something I could have less energy, but then again late on the day I could have less energy too.

>>34939760
So basicly I need to slow down my running entirely? Right now I do 2 steps in 1 second or something, aprox 12km/h if my calculations are correct.

I should go run for lets say 7km/h (slightly above walking speed) and just do that without stopping?

>>34939762
Does banana contain carbs?

I think I dont take any carbs before running

I just eat a banana and drink half a liter of water with some protein shake and 10 minutes later I start running

I was also thinking about maybe taking Dextro's?
>>
>>34939769
Yeah, a banana is pretty much pure carbs.

I don't know many lads that like to eat RIGHT before they perform, I'm doing strength sports though, might be different from long-distance running.

Dextro and other "sports nutrition" shit is mostly overpriced garbage or intended for intra-workout nutrition, so there's no need for that.
>>
>>34939769
Just run at a pace you can maintain for a long time. Only you can feel that out. Personally, I would advise doing some 10ks etc to get a better sense of sustainable pace, but I understand if you don't have time. However, don't bother doing less than 5k, as it utilizes a different skill set at that short a distancr
>>
>>34939799
yeah i dont plan on taking it forever but just for the little extra boost i need now the coming weeks

>>34939803
but there is just walking and above that running

yeah i wont run less than 5k from now on

i dont know really how I am gonna run slower than 2 steps a minute right now

anyway OP here im out of the house for an hour or 3, i try to post from mobile phone but sometimes captcha refuses to work on mobile so i hope this thread will survive

thanks all for the help
>>
>counting 5x1km as your 5km time
Looks like I'm an elite runner lads
>>
Ok anon, truth time.

Improving your running takes time. It's not complicated however; running is one of those things you need to do often to be better at. If you cannot keep going for a full 5km I would suggest you do something simple like run hard for 2 lamp posts, then walk 2. Try to go out and do this every 2 days until the test for a 30-40 minutes and you should improve your 5k time by a few minutes.

It will be fucking hard though so you better supplement that with some concrete pills.
>>
>>34939843
what is wrong with it?

>>34939853
what kind of pills?

yeah i also thought about just going 1km then a walk then 1km then a walk it might help me improve it

i need to prove myself (5km in 25mins) on an track course, i dont know the dimensions there, but it helps if i keep a watch on my wrist so I can keep track of progress which I did today

anyway i am back later i g2g i hope this thread survives

thanks alot eveyrbody really appreciate it
>>
>>34939712
google search "couch to 5k" you lazy cunt
>>
>>34939879
but im already passed the couch

i do 5km in 26minutes now
>>
>>34939744

You wonder why you didn't make the time and you took a few breaks.

Are you this retarded all the time or only on Tuesdays?
>>
>>34941514

I was here yesterday and I can tell you he's also retarded on mondays.
>>
>>34941514
What do you mean?

yes I do understand that if I take 1 less break I would get it within 25mins, that wasnt the question

>>34941532
yeah 2km in 15mins was indeed a terrible estimate of me
>>
>>34941545
>complains he can't make the time
>asks how to improve time
>says he takes a break that slows his time

DONT TAKE A BREAK DIPSHIT
>>
>>34941719
So you're basicly saying I need to be faster than 25mins?

Or should I do the breaks shorter?
>>
>>34941734
DONT TAKE A BREAK. EVER.

Run 3 miles continuously until you can run the time.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you?
>>
>>34941746
But how is that even possible? If I walk I dont even come close to the time? if I go slower im not running im walking.
>>
>>34941767

Don't walk you moron. Keep running 3 miles non stop until you can hit the time.
>>
>>34939712

Took me two months to get to a sub 10 minute 1.5 mile run (2400m), here's what I did:

ABxCBDx

A:
100m sprint followed by 100m walking x 16

B:
400m jog x 10 (4km)

C:
400m in a 1:30 / 1:40 minute pace followed by 400m walking x 7

D:
800m in a 1:30 / 1:40 minute pace followed by 800m jog / walk x 3
>>
>>34941807

Also, before this routine I was running 2400m in nearly 13 minutes.
>>
>>34941791
thats what im doing now but i cant keep up with running for so long, sometimes i ned a 30 to 60 sec break thats what ive been telling you guys
>>
>>34939712
Did you run on a perfect plain? Even a little uphill makes a great difference
Running at 12 km/h for 25 minutes straight in not that easy, disregard all the lazy neckbeard faggots in this thread - if you put them on a treadmill at that speed (on a treadmill you need to add a small incline or it's easier than IRL) most won't survive 15 minutes
>>
>>34941822
Well that's the magical thing we call getting /fit/

You aren't going to be able to do it the first time, 8th time even the fucking 12th time. You'll shave a few secs off every time though and eventually you'll make it.

There is no instant solution.
>>
>>34941830
yes all flat (tight corners though since im improvising between flats)

thats also what I thought, i thought i was pretty fit but all these keyboard warriors seem professional athletes

its strange that no one even complimented me they all did better which is highly unlikely
>>
>>34941767
RUN continuously
>>
>>34941848
but i cant run so long continously yet
>>
>>34939732
Keep at it. That's good pace for someone just starting out. I think a 7 min mile pace is healthy unless you're a hardcore cross country runner in which case that's a little slow.

Running in the evening is only different because of energy levels and what you may have ingested.

Your energy levels might be down. Make sure you eat so you have energy, but make sure it's a small meal, and not too close to your run. Something bland.
>>
>>34939742
Fuck you. Most of us have graduated from running. If we're on a bulk cycle, we don't fuck up our gains by running and build more muscle than we could running. But tbqh, I miss the runner's high. So I always look forward to cutting after a nice bulk.
>>
>>34939742
This desu senpai. Every time I see one of these kids post, "If you're not going to the gym to get huge af, why bother? Kill yourself, faggot," I think about all the muscular guys in my family who died of heart disease. Not me, assholes.
>>
>>34941855
you fucking idiot holy shit
run more continuously so youll be able to run even more continuously
>>
>>34941899
That doesnt even make any sense
>>
>>34941909
He means stop stopping. If you want to be able to run continuously, you have to train for that by running continuously.
>>
>>34941909
run at a slower pace, but without stopping. Then gradually increase your pace over your run sessions until you can run fast enough to make the time.
>>
>>34941927
>>34941996
hmm so I will kinda have to do fast-walking for 5km straight?
>>
>>34942058
This is obviously bait now.

YOU HAVE TO RUN CONTINUOUSLY IF YOU WANT TO RUN CONTINUOUSLY.
>>
>>34942258
so just run untill i cant go anymore?

so after 15mins i stop?
>>
>>34942269

Reported
>>
>>34942415
What?
>>
>>34942422
He thinks you are baiting him. Dw about not being able to run non stop. You have to slowly increase your distance daily. I run 3.3km at 17 mins, and I run like maybe 3 times a week on average.
>>
>>34942584
so if i dont actually run 5km in 25mins im baiting?

im fucking annoyed how these people respond, i have clearly said i can do 5km in 25.47mins now but I need some small breaks (3 or 4 where i walk 30secs to 60 secs)
>>
>>34939712
Nice one anon. I thought it would be timing fucking you up. Just keep running, avoid injury and maybe try some shorter circuits.

You'll probably have to do a bleep test at some stage, have a go at that.
>>
>>34939769
Remember anon, you don't want to just make it, you should want to smash it, aim high. Run 5k at a steady pace without stopping and then record the time.

Keep track of times and get used to running without music- you won't be allowed it in the test.

Also make sure you're stretching before and after running, particularly after. I'd suggest a foam roller to help get any pains out of your calves, hammies, quads etc.
>>
>>34942673
yes i dont listen to music anymore now, it helps to focus in breathing too

thanks for the stretch advice too
>>
>>34941815
Starting royal marine training in 6 days, been doing shit loads of 1.5 mile runs. Whats your PB anon?
>>
>>34942679
Dynamic stretching before, static stretching after
>>
So I havent done cardio for 2 years and I just ran 3 km in 15 , jesus you are slow.
>>
>>34939870
Shorter distances is qualitatively different.
Imagine the last 400 meters if you hadn't once taken a walk break. You gon need concrete pills to harden the fuck up, son
>>
Bro, just push yourself in the test and dont give up. its easier to give up when youre just running to train but when you have to get to some time just fucking run and throw up after youre done. 40secs is NOTHING
>>
>>34942679
Also make sure you're running the whole 5k. Any pace as long as you're putting more effort in than walking.
Get a stopwatch you can wear on your wrist and do the 5k aiming for the best time you can.

But the most important thing is STOP TAKING BREAKS WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO GET THE BEST TIME YOU CAN.

Just keep running.
>>
>>34939870
Because multiplying doesn't take into account sustained pace. In your case, it takes 5 minutes to run 1 km. You can't just multiply 5x10 and say you run 10 km in 50 mins, you might not be able to run 10 km at all.
>>
>>34941767
You know its possible to run at a speed just below your normal run speed without moving into jogging, let alone walking.
Let me just give you the whole movement scale. High speed to low: sprint, run, jog, walk. For a 5k you should be be closer to running than jogging.
>>
File: 1432628062909.jpg (112 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1432628062909.jpg
112 KB, 540x720
Goddamn, not this retard again.
>>
Da fuq. I'm a girl, I only run intervals and lift 5 times a week but I can easily run 5km in 25 minutes (I do that every now and then)

Are you sure you don't have some hidden lung disease or something?
>>
>>34942775
but i run them all in the same session

i do 5 rounds after eachother so not 1 round per day or something

>>34942938
well i wasn a ex smoker up to 6 months ago

when i first started 6 months ago i was definately out of breath, i still breath heavy now but my legs get tired before my lungs get tired, so its not like im gasping for air

i think with the ammount of exercise i do i can consider myself a non-smoker now. I do vape sometimes though but im planning on taking that down a notch too since that also isnt very good for your body i believe
>>
Stop resting. Go out and run 5 miles straight. Do that every other day for the next 2 weeks. You can do your interval training inbetween.

5k in 25 minutes was average on my high school cross country team. The girls team. The girls team that placed last in every race.
>>
>>34943351
yeah i had school records too back when i was in highschool but i sat on my ass for 5 years and smoked for 10 years

i only unfucked my shit 6 months ago and im doing my best
>>
>>34943394
If you smoked for 10 years then you ain't unfucking anything in just 6 months. Enjoy dying 10-15 years earlier than you should have faggot.

Also fuck this guys in this thread, you can take breaks, just slow down to a jog instead of a walk. Slow down if you need to but never walk, always keep the pace higher than normal walking.
>>
>>34942984

How did you quit brah?
>>
>>34942600
Run it in 30min then a little faster every time. Do sprints or hills as suplements.
>>
>>34944075
different anon here
>10 years then you ain't unfucking anything in just 6 months. Enjoy dying 10-15 years earlier than you should have faggot.
In 10 years to 20 years the risk of an ex-smoker is the same of someone who never smoked.
To get back full pulmonary capacity you need more than a year - you never get to 100%, something like 95,98% (depending on how much you smoked) will always be an hard limit. But the difference will be negligible in 5 year.

>>34944125
I've smoked for 6 years, I've started late and finished early. ~10 cigs/day. I've had the famous Allen Carr's book laying around for a while, when I was convinced to quit (on my own) I read it and at the last page I did quit cold-turkey. Had nightmares of me smoking for 3 week, but after the first 3 days your body is free from nicotine. I won't say that the book was that relevant; just make that choice when you're ready. You're not losing anything if you quit, and you know it.
Do not take nicotine replacement. Don't do that.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.