[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
St. John's Wort and Depression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Hey /adv/. I've been struggling pretty badly with depression for the past few years, and only recently has it been starting to get better. I've worked through a lot of it solely on my own - I've barely talked to anyone about it, and I haven't taken any medications. Recently, for the first time in a while, I've had a few social outings where I felt like my old self again; actually social and upbeat.

However, that state of mind is hard for me to achieve. I actively aim for it now - I realized that I don't HAVE to be sad, which is an improvement, but it's still hard to actually do. This is why I've been considering taking antidepressants, just to improve my mood enough to the point where I can actually function.

However, I'm a senior in high school and would like to keep it somewhat discrete from my parents. I'm considering going out and buying St. John's Wort and trying that out. Any reason I shouldn't? I smoke weed, too, in case that has some adverse reaction to the other, though I've been considering quitting.
>>
It's supposed to work for mild depression.

Takes a few weeks to build up, you might not be able to handle sun as much as you used to.

I took it years ago but stopped, can't remember why (might have caused ED for me).
>>
>>34937939
how about you stop smoking weed bruv
>>
I took 900mg daily, and I feel it helped to stabilize my moods. I was getting depressive episodes that were getting in the way of being a normie.

Not sure if placebo effect, but, 10/10 would recommend.
>>
>>34938160
Spot on. Stop smoking weed/drinking (if you do), do a bit more cardio, read more books and do meditation if you can. It all helps.

Antidepressants are good, but desu, if you start you're going to be on them for a long time. It is better to change your lifestyle as much as you can, before starting on them.
>>
St Johns Wort might work but it interferes with a lot of other common drugs. If you are a woman, for example it reduces the effectiveness of hormonal BC pills.
>>
>>34938203
Any side effects ?
>>
>>34938160
>>34938219
What's the deal with weed and depression. I've been smoking every day for the past 4 months and I noticed that some form of depression is building up. I have stopped smoking for a week now and I already feel better. I don't plan to quit completely, because I enjoy smoking it just so much, but I'll cut it down so much that it no longer influences my daily life.
>>
File: 1426241641103.jpg (36 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
1426241641103.jpg
36 KB, 607x608
Yes it does help. Also take vitamin D which is a natural antidepressant and vitamin B which is needed for neurotransmitter production including serotonin. It would also help you to boost your testosterone production, with zinc and garlic. Consider also taking amino acids like lysine and antioxidants like vitamin C to protect those amino acids.

However, realize that depression does not have a win state. You are prone to depression because of your physical state. There will never be a point where you can never be depressed again. You will always need to move uphill.

Don't take this as a negative, see it as a positive. For me, I realized that I get depressed more easily and stay depressed longer when my lifestyle is shit. I am in the process of making my lifestyle the best possible and have made progress. This means that I have an enviable life to some people because I come off as happy, healthy, and well-centered. They do not realize that it is necessary for me to act this way, and would never know the depths to which I have been.

Because of my lifestyle, that provides nutrition and exercise, I am able to notice that which would make me depressed, ignore it, avoid it, or strengthen myself against it.

Also, you should meditate, it really helps.
>>
>>34938280

It fucks with your head in a lot of ways. Mainly, if you are baked all the time, everyday life is far far less interesting/stimulating.

Also, if you're baked all the time the you won't get much productive shit done, so you feel like you start to fall behind your productive friends (so you end up only being with other baked friends), family will notice you being a less productive/outgoing etc etc

Weed builds up in your brain and you will eventually slow down mentally and physically, which affects your confidence and general.

EVERYBODY says this won't happen to them, that they are still productive and their personality will never change yadayada and this might be true if they were unproductive burnouts before this, but for most people with mentally stimulating jobs, it will happen.

And finally, long term paranoia and increased anxiety are also real things.
>>
>>34938280
Everyday for 4 months is not good desu. You should look at why are you are doing this.

Imo smoking once or maybe twice a week is fine, smoking everyday will make you stupid and depressed and you will be the last person to notice how much you've fucked up.
>>
>>34938280
It affects your dopamine uptake. It literally makes things more enjoyable. When you don't have weed, your dopamine uptake is still affected. Not having weed makes things less enjoyable.

Theres a huge study I think from the Netherlands or some Nordic country that was car and consice on the effects of weed usage. This isn't it http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/

Limit yourself you a weekly of occasional use of the herb. Any more and youll want more and more and need it to function.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.