[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swim/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: olympics-day13_31_m8iitcpd.jpg (193 KB, 970x563) Image search: [Google]
olympics-day13_31_m8iitcpd.jpg
193 KB, 970x563
Swimming general.

>someone post the sticky edition

Get in here fishes, post your times,distances,goals and give advice to anyone intrested.
>>
File: 1431012771645.jpg (213 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1431012771645.jpg
213 KB, 1500x1000
Hi, just swim 3200m today and feeling good. How are you brehs?
>>
> Don't know anything about swimming

I can swim the length of the pool in 22 seconds, and can do this 12 times with a 30 second break in between before I'm exhausted

> I'm in great shape, why is swimming so hard for me?
> What's the length of the average pool?
> Should I pace myself or 'sprint' for a swimmer's body?
> I try to front stroke but don't immerse my face, can shit form lead to injury?
>>
Can someone post me a normal
Breaststroke technique video guide
>>
I just swim freestyle for as many laps as possible 30 minutes twice a week.

It's fun and I like it better than sprinting.
>>
I like to get to the gym early as possible when I swim because after the classes, the pool water kills my eyes.
>>
>>34934585
> I'm in great shape, why is swimming so hard for me?
Well swimming can be a very demanding cardio, maybe you're not used to do cardio.
> What's the length of the average pool?
Standard size is 25m and olimpic size is 50m
> Should I pace myself or 'sprint' for a swimmer's body?
You can do both, it depends on how many times you swim along the week. Those guys with swimmer/ottermode bodies have intense swimming session and usually swim atleast three, five or six days a week.
> I try to front stroke but don't immerse my face, can shit form lead to injury?
Shit form in any sport can lead to injury. Your head shouldnt be out of the water breh, either looking at the bottom of the pool or in 45°

>>34934619
Here you go anon

Breaststroke Swimming Technique:
Stroke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFFxTuaMpDQ

Kick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJj9z4n0STk

Breathing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBs2sPifsq8

Body Positioning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aofS2pF6A0
>>
>>34933753
I played Water Polo and swam for 10 years. Fuck swimming.

The fast majority of field athletes have better bodies than any aquatic athlete, exception being divers.

If you actually want to make gains and be strong then lift and sprint (on land)
If you want be a weak ottermode faggot with weird body proportions or for some reason you can't run due to injury then have at it.
>>
>>34936436
>can't run due to injury
spinal bulge reporting.

>>34934585
you probably have shit form. Watch videos and take a lesson. Swim every day, it gets easier.

When I started in august, I couldn't swim a whole lap and felt like I was drowning at the end of a 5-lap session with minute breaks after each 25m. Now I warm up with 100s and can swim a 250m (with a breath or two at the end of each length) and total between 750 and 1000m for a session. It's shit compared to a real swimmer, but I'm pretty proud of my progress. I'm getting better at breathing on my left side without killing my momentum too.

I hear flutter kick is good for your obliques/ 'the V', is that true? I do 5 laps of just flutter kick with my arms forward every time I go because I hear that a big mistake is people forgetting to kick. After doing this for a week and a half, my back hernia seems like it's doing better. If flutter kick is good for obliques, that would explain it, as those are part of the muscles that I need to strengthen.
>>
>>34936604
If you want to strengthen your core try doing butterfly kicks with your arms stretched out? Or just straight up butterfly swimming.
>>
>>34936645
if you want to strengthen your core superset front squat sets of 5 with decline weighted ab crunches sets of 10. then drink half a gallon of milk and eat 3 chicken breasts.

do this 5 days a week
>>
>>34936667
I'm not supposed to put any extra weight on my spine or bend it. thus, lifting is completely out, so are crunches. I used to do like 30-35 leg lifts a day, my abs were fucking great, but my PT guy said that strong abs do not necessarily make a strong back contrary to common sense.
>>
>>34936436
Pls no bully, swiming is fun. I also enjoy the Masters "comunity" or however you guys say it in english. Its fun to train with lots of people who also love what you're doing and give quality support between eachothers. I especially love mirin the qts in full swimsuit.
>>
File: 1440259798508.jpg (112 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1440259798508.jpg
112 KB, 500x750
Wish we had a bigger swimming crowd in here
>>
just started swimming. now pool is closed for 2 weeks for retiling. :(
>>
>>34934585
>> I'm in great shape, why is swimming so hard for me?

Fucking this. I would say I'm in great shape, but I'm better than most. There's a 7km running track near my place, I can do it in under 34min easily, PB is 32min.

Try swimming, die after 2 laps of olympic pool.

Is there a c25k thing for swimming that I could follow?
>>
>>34938978
That's because swimming isn't just muscle power, it's technique. You have to streamline your body to reduce drag, make efficient use of each stroke, and you're doing it all in an environment that offers much greater resistance to any form of movement.
The real killer (or at least it was for me when I first started) is the fact that unlike every other form of physical exercise, you are forced to go through regular intervals without breathing. Not "breathing at a pace" or the paced breathing you do when running long-distance, you have a gap of about three seconds between each inhalation. That kind of oxygen deprivation can be hell on even the most /fit/ of bodies if you're not used to it.
>>
former swimmer. I was mediocre. 48 second 100 yrd freestyle.

Don't bother swimming unless you are younger than 14, your form will suck otherwise if you learn too late.

Swimming + lifting can get you jacked and cut, but your time is better spent with lifting + diet + sprints
>>
File: 1400592731271.jpg (21 KB, 250x260) Image search: [Google]
1400592731271.jpg
21 KB, 250x260
I'm taking swim next semester for my uni's PE requirement

How hard is it compared to running?
Will the water be cold?
How do I get rid of backne in the next two months?
>>
What temperature is the pool usually for you guys?
>>
I'm the guy who made the general. I have decided to start making a swimming general every time the thread dies.Problem is , I remember some other anon made a pastebin and I did not save it. Does anyone know what its name was,or atleast what it contained ?
>>
>>34938978
>Is there a c25k thing for swimming that I could follow?

http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html
>>
File: kek5.gif (1 MB, 353x200) Image search: [Google]
kek5.gif
1 MB, 353x200
>>34939548
Yeah, my breathing is what really hurts me. Ex smoker so my lung capacity is pretty pathetic

>>34941236
Thanks, anon
>>
>>34939657
>harder
>yes
>you dont, how bad is it?
>>
Can you do HIIT on swimming effectively? If so could someone give a rough routine. I've always preferred swimming to running for obvious reasons
>>
>>34939911
oh scheiss, mein schwarz haut, Ich habe deine zuruck:
http://pastebin.com/1crFVex3

anybody here ever do "master swim" or personal lessons at a Lifetime Fitness? What's the difference? Worth it? I'm finally getting breathing down so I have enough endurance that a lesson might be worth it.
>>
>>34939630
shoo shoo

Every age is fine, I've met people from 50 to 75 that learn to swim late in their life and still they got gud.
>>
Played water polo in college. Best times are

100yd freestyle: 54.83
50yd freestyle: 23.53
200yd freestyle: 1min 59 seconds

Can tread indefinitely

Height: 5'7
Weight: 165
>>
How do you guys swim so often without fucking up your hair?
Should I invest in a swimming cap or are they extremely annoying to wear?
>>
>>34943417
Swimming shampoo or start using conditioner, its not hard unless you have bitch hair
>>
>>34943411
>yards

Never going to make it.
>>
>>34943417
My hair has always been shit, fucking curly hair is a pain in the ass to mantain.
>>
>>34936702
There are a lot of abdominal muscles that can manipulate the lumbar back. I also had great abs but they were worthless in the water.
>>
>>34933753
anyone else drop a sub minute 100m back in high school?
>>
>>34943417

>swimming without a cap
>probably wears jammers too
>speedo master race
>lycra + latex double cap master race

fucking A son
>>
File: download (5).jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
4 KB, 225x225
Hey guys. I swim about 1100-1400 meters 3-4 times a week, just to stay in shape. I don't measure times or anything like that. Thanks to good genes my chest and shoulders are fucking ripped. Also have a 1.666 shoulder-hip ratio. I'm 5'10''.

What are your diets anons? I want to stop eating like shit so that I can maintain my swimmer body.
>>
>>34943417
>>34943501
I have curly hair. Literally use a swimcap. Also shower when every single time after your swim.
>>
>>34941819
If you have a PT then yeah. But you'd just be a faggot, everyone makes fun of the guy with the PT yelling at him on the edge lane.
>>
>>34943752
I do, even before I started swimming my hair has always been dry on default. I have to use curly hair shampoo+conditioner+hair mouse to make it look good.
>>
ive started swimming to burn fat and ive heard swimming is GOAT cardio. I do 5 times a week, about 1-1,5 hour each session. I only do breaststroke cause thats the only style i know. Am i doing it right?.
>>
>>34943804
How curly is it? I also have curly hair, I manage by keeping it short. Unless you have black hair, then I'd see your problem.
>>
>>34943812
Between running, cycling and swimming, yeah swimming is the best cardio.

Going 5 times a week is good, too good actually, but hey, if you have the time then that's awesome.

I wouldn't really worry about how much time you spend on routines. Completing it without stopping is more important, it builds resistance.

Learn freestyle and backstroke. Butterfly is dumb but you should know the other two.
>>
>>34943844
Yea i kinda stopped playing vidya so i suddenly have tons of time i have to spend on something. Whats the advantages of learning the other styles? I litrally have never tried them and am afraid of looking like a moron if i just start trying to learn by my self.
>>
>>34943896
Huh, that's funny. Usually people learn freestyle first because it's the easiest and fastest, works out your entire upper body + legs.

Backstroke is the same, but it's super easy to breathe, the only problem is staying afloat.

Butterfly is just a harder freestyle that is easier to breathe, but it's pretty advanced. You need to be incredibly strong to butterfly well.

>am afraid of looking like a moron if i just start trying to learn by my self.

Rational fear. No one really cares, but I understand, I was the same. There are some youtube videos that really explain how to swim. I recommend just looking them up, it will give you an idea. You might not get the perfect technique from just watching them, but it will get you closer to it.
>>
>>34943896
Freestyle is faster. But also harder for me.
>>
>>34943844
>Butterfly is dumb
Kill yourself, my man.
>>
How to build endurance? I'm getting tired pretty fast.
>>
>>34941819
Sprint 30 seconds rest 30 seconds?
>>
How do I keep my dick hard after swimming? The cold water usually makes it flaccid, and I hate going to the locker rooms afterwards to change.I want to make it look as big as possible without becoming fully hard. How do I achieve the half-flaccid/half-erect stage?
>>
>>34943984
unless you're a comp swimmer, there is no need to butterfly.
>>
>>34943747
>10-15 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week
>stay in shape

Kekkelikeko
>>
File: nathan_misfits_series.jpg (26 KB, 450x289) Image search: [Google]
nathan_misfits_series.jpg
26 KB, 450x289
>>34943814
No, mine looks just like this.
>>
>>34944022
B-but it works for me anon. I can stay in shape without it, and I eat like garbage. But swimming helps with running.

>5k 26 min.

Maybe it's because I'm young and still have metabolism :^)
>>
>>34943972
I really wouldn't compare butterfly to freestyle. The rythm is totally different. Butterfly feels like a tougher version of breaststroke for me. But I'm not a pro swimmer.
>>
>>34944015
What if I am a narcissistic show off swimmer?
>>
>>34944009
Peek into women's showers (or girls showers if your pool has one) before changing.
>>
Going to get my 50m free time later today lads, pretty hyped.

Last one was 33.99s, been training 2-4 times a week for 4 months now.

Pretty terrible I know, I'm always flabbergasted at people like >>34939630 or >>34943411 who casually mentions sub-25 seconds 50m free when my lifetime goal has always been a sub-30s for over a year now. Makes me feel I'm doing something wrong when I keep feeling myself improve every week...
>>
>>34944045
Well, I only compared them because the speed is the same. Backstroke is a bit slower and breaststroke is the slowest.

>>34944053
So you're the faggot with the eccentric swimming cap and who brings his own swimming equipment?
>>
>>34944066
>swimming for something besides aesthetics
>>
>>34944066
Both of them are giving times to 50 or 100 YARDS, so none of them swims sub 25s 50m.

33.99s is decent for a non swimmer, don't worry going under 30s may take a while but you'll definitely make it and then it goes down quickly strangely enough.
>>
>>34944066
They either swim since childhood and are actually good or just liers but those times are not impossible. Keep on going anon my goal is similar I want to do 50m under 35s and to properly do the turn.

>>34944103
Not that anon but I always bring my own stuff, I thought it was normal since most people do it.
>>
>>34944154
I go to the best gym in town. They have all of the equipment there. It's good quality/no one steals. I take my robe/swim cap/speedo/change of clothes/deo/shampoo/towel. That's already a lot of stuff to bring.

>Love having rich parents.
>>
>>34944226
What a hassle to find the right size flippers each time.
>>
>>34941819
Former swimmer here.

Most swimming is interval training.
Most pools have the big clock. Find your avg 50m time add 10 seconds. do 25 sets on the interval.

a good 50m interval is usually 45 seconds.

>>34943417
Immediate very hot shower to aerate chlorine. Immediate cold shower to get rid of the calcium. wear caps.

>>34943896
They are all very different. Fly is the fastlane for shoulders and pecs. It is pure anaerobic torture when breathing every 2nd/3rd stroke.
250lb DL
225 OHP

>>34944009
my dick leans left, so I tuck it on the right so the tension makes it pop.
>>
>>34944240
My size is orange. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>34943417
Wet your hair with normal water, bun it up and then put it in a swimcap. Wash hair with hot water, then condition with cold water. Try conditioners with oils like jojoba, coconut, argan, olive and etc.
>>
File: 1433086534136.jpg (89 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1433086534136.jpg
89 KB, 640x640
>>
>>34947186
I don't know anon. Women swimmers aren't that great. They have man torsos.
>>
>>34947652
I'm ok with that
>>
>>34947652
>being on /fit/
>having problems with man torsos on women

What are you, a faggot?
>>
50 free 21.92
100 free 48.89
100 fly 53.19
>>
>>34947939
are those coordinates to find you microdick?
>>
File: 1432076585597.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1432076585597.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>34947652
>>
I played waterpolo for 10 year, but i know some swimmers who won medals on european championships
To be good at swimming you just have to keep on swimming everyday
For example girls who are european class swimmers train twice a day 6 days aweek and some of them will go to amrican universities
>>
Whats your fav style brehs?

ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵖᵒˢᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᶦᶜʳᵒˢᵒᶠᵗ'ˢ ᵂᶦᶰᵈᵒʷˢ 10™
>>
>>34935378
I swim six days a week, every time I lift to hold off muscle soreness and relax and cool down, eight relaxing down and backs.
>>
>>34948117
No need to be rude m8.
>>
>>34948653
LOL lol hungry hungry skelly dick!!
>>
This year I swam the English Channel.

It was really hard.

I used to be fat.

Please compliment me for my achievement.
>>
>>34933753

http://pastebin.com/1crFVex3
>>
>>34949453
good jab, good jab!
>>
>>34933753
I coach masters here in the U.S. Easiest job in the world if you've swam for a while. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy when the old swimmers thank me for the workouts
>>
I just did 24 x 50 fly brahs with some 300s in between. I feel powerful.
>>
>>34936337
This. Unless you're playing water polo your head shouldn't be out of the water.
>>
File: ainsley_thumb.jpg (44 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
ainsley_thumb.jpg
44 KB, 398x500
>>34949453
Well done matey. It's nice to see some migrants actually trying. If you make it across, you deserve to stay.
Keep it up, old chap.
>>
>>34952610

I audibly kekked at this pic
>>
Going to start using my gym's pool next week, what's the best starting routine to supplement Stronglifts?
>>
>>34936436
Your milage may vary.
I swam competitively for 11 years from age 7 to 18. I also at a ton. Like on an 11 year clean bulk, always had a little around the middle but thankfully never any junk food. Started lifting for football around age 16. Put up huge numbers way more quickly then anyone else, 1000 pound club in a year at 235. Constant compliments on my body and tested at 10 percent body fat. EKG reveals "athletes heart" (wiki).
I guess my point is that I swimming gave me the best best base and makes lifting and being in shape easy to do and super easy to maintain. No one believes how little I workout. It also gives your muscles a better toned look and hardens everything out. Also makes for a naturally amazing vaccume.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.