[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The internet is telling me not to do overhead presses but my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: seated-dumbbell-shoulder-press.jpg (36 KB, 450x461) Image search: [Google]
seated-dumbbell-shoulder-press.jpg
36 KB, 450x461
The internet is telling me not to do overhead presses but my workout routine tells me to do Overhead Shoulder Presses. Wat do?
>>
>>34929472
Why shouldnt you do OHP?
>>
Anyone who says not to do OHP is retarded
>>
>>34929472
Twenty Fifteen, listening to the Internet.
>>
>>34929479
When raising the arm, the humeral head drives into the acromion to cause impingement. Bone and ligaments then add to this compression. This smashes the rotator cuff, made of small muscles and tendons, that fix the shoulder in place.

Just because you can place your hand overhead fails to show that you should do so with a weight. Many muscles evolved just to move fast or hold positions. Performing otherwise will go against what your body expects.
>>
File: Screenshots_2015-11-16-11-44-03.png (572 KB, 906x863) Image search: [Google]
Screenshots_2015-11-16-11-44-03.png
572 KB, 906x863
>>34929660
Tell me more broscience pls
>>
>>34929660
scientific sources on this?
>>
>>34929660
oh so that's why everyone who does ohp has smashed rotator cuffs and sedentary people have the healthiest shoulders
>>
>>34929660
That's when you don't know how to ohp and your arms are behind your shoulders
>>
>>34929874
At full extension it doesn't really matter, your clavicle, spine, scapula etc give plenty of room. That's why prehab movements like shoulder dislocations are good rather than bad.

Getting into the movement is where you might have a problem. Fatigue, too heavy weight on the concentric phase, poor mobility of any of the joints and ofc inflammation can all cause impingement on the way up by causing the joints to not move enough quickly enough
>>
>>34929660
https://youtu.be/CnBmiBqp-AI?t=6m30s

Your god rippletits has spoken.
>>
>>34929472
Have not had a single shoulder issue and have been doing OHP for 4 years. Just make sure your doing your shoulder dislocations, face-pulls and such and you will be fine
>>
>>34929660

Wrong. Go learn anatomy and biomechanics.
Your body isn't retarded. It's well equiped to raise stuff over your head.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.