[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is conventional deadlift a push or a pull, /fit/? http://str
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: serveimage.png (89 KB, 1081x1125) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
89 KB, 1081x1125
is conventional deadlift a push or a pull, /fit/?
http://strawpoll.me/6012376
>>
File: 1434315638745.jpg (7 KB, 237x250) Image search: [Google]
1434315638745.jpg
7 KB, 237x250
>>34919297
It's not like you push the weight off the floor so..
>>
>>34919297
Push

Anyone who says otherwise is retarded
>>
>push
>exert force on (someone or something) in order to move them away from oneself.

>pull
>to draw or haul toward oneself or itself, in a particular direction, or into a particular position

you work to move the bar closer to your center of mass. its a pull.
>>
>>34919297
It's a bit of both. Anyone saying it's not doesn't understand deadlifts
>>
>>34919331
Imagine the bar is static and the floor can move. Exact same movement as a deadlift will have you pushing the floor away.

It's not a very useful definition as it's pretty arbitrary
>>
It's technically a push.

You aren't pulling the bar towards yourself, you're holding it while contracting your legs to reach a standing position.
>>
>>34919365
But is the bar static and can the floor move?
>>
>>34919367
Past your knees you're pulling it back though (but with legs straightening it ends up a straight barparh).
>>
if deadlift is a pull then squat is a pull too
>>
>>34919370
Physically possible situation, yes. Now you have the exact same movement described as both a push and pull simultaneously.
>>
>>34919365
then you're moving the floor, not the bar. it's not the same thing.
give a better definition. the whole point is what you're moving and what it relates to, not "how" you're moving it or what kind of a movement pattern you do.
>>34919376
no, the bar moves further way from your center of mass in the squat. DL it's the opposite
>>
>>34919373
No, you aren't pulling it back, you're pushing and contracting your glutes and posterior chain in order to bring your hips forward. The bar stays in the same horozontal position the entire time. You are not pulling at any point.

Back is neutral, shoulders are neutral, arms are dead hang. Nothing is pulling. Contracting the glutes and posterior muscles is the same thing that occurs in a squat. Is a squat a pulling exercise?
>>
Hip and knee extension is the primary movement of the deadlift.
The only "pull" would be the reduction of angle between the humerus and torso, which happens automatically due to gravity.
>>
>>34919378
I'm not asking if its phisically possible, i'm asking if you're doing that.
>>
>>34919331
This.

Also, technically all lifts are pulls because muscles do not push, they only pull.
>>
>>34919297
Its a push until your knees become straight
>>
>>34919419
>hip extension is pulling
>>
>>34919390
>give a better definition. the whole point is what you're moving and what it relates to, not "how" you're moving it or what kind of a movement pattern you do.
My problem with it is that it makes it completely redundant to even have the definition as it doesn't actually relate to what muscles are used / how they are used but is completely dependent on the reference frame. Basing your programme on the basis that you want to have separate push and pull days will lead to decisions not actually based on what your muscles are doing, as one movement can fit both categories depending on the setup.

tl;dr push/pull is dumb use real programmes
>>
>>34919428
The act of pushing your heels into the floor brings the weight up.
>>
>>34919446
Those were implication arrows m8
Hip and knee extension = push
>>
>>34919391
you're pushing and contracting your glutes and posterior chain in order to bring your hips forward
where did the "pushing" come from? why does using your posterior chain automatically equal pushing?
>Back is neutral, shoulders are neutral, arms are dead hang.
so only the musculature in those areas can pull? why?
>Is a squat a pulling exercise?
no, because the bar is placed in a different position.
>>34919438
>it doesn't actually relate to what muscles are used
why would that be relevant to anything? muscles only contract, there are no "pulling" or "pushing" muscles.
>Basing your programme
who's talking about basing programs on anything?
>push/pull is dumb use real programmes
exactly

if the dictionary definition for pushing and pulling isn't correct, then what is?
>>34919446
no, the action of pushing your hips and shoulders up bring the weight up. your heels are not moving anywhere.
>>
>>34919467
>heels are not moving anywhere.
of course not, but "pushing your heels" into the floor initiates extension.
>>
>>34919297
It's a hinge.

Everyone is this thread is retarded.
>>
>>34919482
By that definition every exercise is a hinge
>>
>>34919477
no, moving your shoulders and hips up initiates the extension.
>>
>>34919467
>why would that be relevant to anything?
Because people like to design their programmes around it. "What should I do on Tuesday, hmm it's a pull day so I can't do lifts so and so". Guess we're in agreement anyway
>>
>>34919490
Quad and glute contraction initiate the extension.
Why are you moving your shoulders during a deadlift?
>>
File: jelly.jpg (75 KB, 1152x676) Image search: [Google]
jelly.jpg
75 KB, 1152x676
>>34919490
false
>>
i just call it a back exercise and forget about it... but if i had to pick I would say its a pull
>>
>>34919493
yeah people are stupid
>>34919498
>Quad and glute contraction initiate the extension.
no shit
>Why are you moving your shoulders during a deadlift?
because extending your hip moves your shoulders up in the DLs case?
>>
>>34919515
Sure, your shoulders move up as a result of hip extension ie glute flexion
Moving your shoulders up doesn't cause extension, which is what you said.
>>
>>34919546
>shoulders up doesn't cause extension
thius
>>
>>34919297
It's a push. The L5 gets pushed out of your spine.
>>
>>34919297
How short are your legs?
>>
>>34919546
where did i say moving your shoulders up causes extension?
>>
>>34919559
Kek
>>
File: me pondernig.jpg (40 KB, 543x549) Image search: [Google]
me pondernig.jpg
40 KB, 543x549
Guys GUYS
Is a burger a sandwich?
>>
>>34919438
>debating the semantics of what constitutes a 'push' and a 'pull'when programming

Just do what you didn't on push day holy shit
>>
>>34919603
yes. so is a hot dog. so is a burrito. so is a taco. so is a pizza (open face sandwich).
>>
What kind of fucking retarded question is this? And why are there so many pseudo intellectual dipshits in this thread.
>>
>>34919297
it's both
you push the bar off the floor and pull it right at the end when locking out
unless you're mike T, then it's just a push
>>
>this thread is a reality in 2015
>op probably wasn't even trolling
this is literally the dumbest thread I've ever seen on /fit/ in the five years I've been here
>>
>>34919613
Is french toast a sandwich?
>>
>>34919623
this
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 632x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 632x800
>>34919628
Depends how hard you dream
>>
The only function of a muscle is to contract.
Every muscle-action is a pull.
Push doesn't exist.
>>
If your form is shit-tier and/or your back is piss weak, it's a push.

If you have proper form and/or don't have the back of a 10 year old boy, it's a pull.
>>
>>34919376
>>34919312
The pull comes from the hamstrings being the antagonist of the quadriceps.
>>
57 people don't lift
>>
If you stupid "push" faggots want to get technical, it's a pull because every muscle pulls. Stupid dumb cunts.

There is literally nothing more edgy than someone who claims deadlift is a push. Just fuck off you black cunts.
>>
>>34919367
you pull the weight with your lower back, contracting your legs is only a part of standing up

then again, you're probably trolling
>>
It's both push and pull.

You pull with your traps, lats, lower back and hams

You push with your quads and glutes

Depending on your build it's probably about even overall
>>
>>34919776
your lower back musculature only keeps the back straight and rigid, it does not move the weight. l2anatomy
>>34919804
how the fuck do glutes push and hamstrings pull when their function is pretty much identical (hip extension)?
>>
>>34919832
>back doesn't even lift
have you ever done a deadlift?
>>
>>34919559
>tfw just came back from snap city
>>
>>34919847
have you ever learned anatomy? the lower back musculature extends the lower back, meaning it keeps the back straight. it doesnt move the hips. its under heavy load for sure but it doesnt move the fucking weight.
i dl 5x405 btw
>>
>>34919832
Visualise it for yourself. Hamstrings pull downwards to extend the back up.

>>34919866
5x405 hinders rather than helps your case here buddy
>>
>>34919297
80% of /fit/ is retarded and will blow their back rather sooner than later
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.