[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /fit/ I am going to choose a martial art. What do you all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: teishou-uchi-demura.jpg (121 KB, 830x750) Image search: [Google]
teishou-uchi-demura.jpg
121 KB, 830x750
So /fit/ I am going to choose a martial art. What do you all do?

I have never done one before. I think I am going to choose Karate to focus with at the beginning, may try judo after a year or so. I've heard though that karate is meme, can you confirm this? Will it help me in a street fight situation?
>>
>>34914624
Every legit martial art will help you in a street fight. Every legit martial art will teach you to avoid street fights.

Pick the one you think is coolest.
>>
Karate is a joke. Even Bruce Lee said so.
>>
>>34914661
Yeah thats what I'm interested in as well, carying myself so I don't get into street fights in the first place. Although at times sometimes you can find yourself in a position where you have no option but to fight
>>
Do MMA you pussy
>>
>>34914679
Sauce?
>>
>>34914692
Why?
>>
>>34914624
Kyokushin and offshoots are fine. Shotokan et al are pyjama dancing and actively make you worse at fighting.

Judo is great. Boxing or muay thai + judo will equip to handle any self-defense situation which can be realistically handled.
>>
>>34914624
Regular /asp/ie here.

If you do karate, do kyokushin, all the other branches (shotokan, gu-do, kenpo etc) are shit and won't help you at all. Most of them will be McDojo's too.

Judo is a solid choice. Just stick to /asp/'s cross.

Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Boxing for striking.

Judo, Wrasslin', and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for grappling.

regarsd
>>
>>34914679
Why should anyone care what an actor said?
>>
>>34914683
>carying myself so I don't get into street fights in the first place

>Don't hang out in places where drunken young men congregate.
>Don't hang out in places with high rates of street crime
>Don't let pride egg you on

You can avoid 99% of fights if you do these three things. In the case of a mugging, just give them your wallet. It will be cheaper than the hospital visit and/or court case if you beat the shit out of the attacker.

>inb4 pussy

I wrestled in high school, been boxing 6 years, bjj 2 years.
>>
>>34914679
If you understood Bruce Lee, you would know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3JDzxamfSg

@7:00
>>
File: fedora-neckbeard-3.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fedora-neckbeard-3.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>34914738
>>
>>34914624
Fuck no OP.
Do kendo to reach enlightenment.
>>
>>34914729
>>34914731
I just found a Kyokushin dojo and its ironically on the same street as my gym and I never knew haha. Thank you /fit/
>>
>>34914847
Fair warning. If they're doing it right expect to miss some leg days
>>
>>34914877
Is it good for striking? Apparently punches to the head aren't allowed?
>>
>>34915127
>>34915127
allowed? Define allowed. In sparring, in competition what? I don't do Kyokushin but so what if head strikes aren't allowed in competition? If you can punch someone in the chest/solar plexus you can punch them in the face. It ain't too hard to change your aim a couple of centimetres.

Also kyokushin is good because they do legit conditioning and shit. They're all tanks.
>>
>>34915166
The whole no punches to the head thing in Kyokushin comes from the idea that that sparring should be hard, should be bare-knuckle and should be done often. You pretty much have to disallow punches to the head to prevent hand injuries. All other strikes to the head are allowed.
>>
I've been doing Judo for a little while now. Sparring with black and brown belts has really put my ego into perspective. I used to think I was tough shit because I lifted and sized people up according to mass. These little guys, these black belts are inhumanly strong and know how to put a 300 lb on his face in the blink of an eye.
I do judo because I get to spar daily without black eyes or busted nose and it's super cheap.
>>
>>34915166
The issue is more avoiding punches to the head. Most kyo places I've seen allow palms to the head in sparring

>>34915127
Well it's a striking style so yeah.
>>
>>34915191
See this fellow is well informed. Pretty simple and logical explanation.
>>
>>34915215
I've got and given my fair share of facial bruising and bloody noses in judo. Mostly due to chokes and arm bars though.

They're not inhumanly strong, they just have good technique.
>>
>>34915234
>They're not inhumanly strong, they just have good technique.

This. I do judo and bjj. Those little 50-60 year old black belts have developed such a good feel for leverage and balance and such excellent technique to exploit it, they feel 50lbs heavier than they are and twice as strong. That shit astounded me too when I first started training.
>>
>>34914624
Boxing, muay boran, catch wrestling, kyokushin. Some parts of Judo work too.

Everything else in a defense situation, including bjj, KM, aukido, etc., is a quick ticket to Rekt-Town.
>>
>>34915191
Muay Thai master race. Fuck outta here with your "we can punch to the head if we want" shit. If you don't train it, you're as good as the pajama dancers.
>>34914847
Muay Thai is the same thing but no dumb ass restrictions or ethnic dancing.
>>
>>34914624
>I've heard though that karate is meme, can you confirm this?
shotokan is a meme. If you do kyokushin you'll be a pretty good fighter. As a general rule, do something that has a lot of full contact sparring if you want to be good at real fights
>>
>>34915384
>Muay Boran
>>
>>>/asp/
>>
>>34916086
/asp/ is rasslefags now. Hiro nuked /asp/ instead of giving those autists the containment board everyone wants them to have.
>>
>>34914679
you bastardized what he said, but okay
>>
gun fu
>>
if you want to be autistic go for Boxing, Muay thai, judo and wrestling.

if you want to be smart bring a gun and a knife if you just want to survive and learn how to use them. Human didn't conquer and thrive today without using tools and only a retard would go around fighting shit with their fists when you can use a knife or a gun.
>>
>>34914624
Kenpo(or Kempo), Karate and boxing are good striking martial arts to start out with if you want to protect yourself. As long as you are learning practical techniques every week and spar regularly, you should be good I believe.
>>
>>34914738
Because whether or not who stated a fact, its still a fact.
>>
>>34916924
Kenpo is bullshit
>>
>>34917062
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>34917157
Yeah
>>
>>34914624
>Will it help me in a street fight situation?
if you're thinking about street fights (why would you even end up in a fight, anyway?), you should learn Judo.
nothing cools a punk like being thrown on concrete, on his back while the judoka is still on his feet.
>>
>>34915234
This. When I was a judoka a japanese master visited my dojo. He was this frail looking old guy who walked with a cane. I was a 200lbs 17 years old who went to the gym and did judo for five years.
He wrekked my ass in less than 20 seconds.
>>
Karate is a joke, judo is OK 1 vs 1 .pipe bomb is best
>>
>>34914624
MMA is the most legit which is basically a mix of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai which are the only legit martial arts. BJJ is the most supreme since with that skill you can cripple and kill anyone you want.
>>
What if you have the God hand fám?
>>
>>34915386
>muay thai
>no ethnic dancing
they open up every single match with ethnic dancing
>>
>>34917772
make money giving handjobs in some back alley.
>>
>>34917734
I dont plan on getting in any street fights and I seek to avoid them but sometimes it can be unavoidable. For example, if someone jumps you, someone tries to mug you, your buddy starts to fight with someone and the other guy's friends start jumping in. Someone tries to hit your girlfriend or wife etc
>>
>>34914738
>Arnold Schwarzenegger was an actor
>Disregard everything he said about bodybuilding
>>
>>34919013
Arnold has a collection of awards for body building. Bruce has second-hand stories (most of which feature people who have since been proven to not exist) from people who make money off his reputation.
>>
>>34914624

>meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhO4aqPSKn8

Americuh wrestler vs karate
>>
>>34914624
ANY martial art will help in a street fight.

Whether thats boxing, karate, jew jitsu, krav maga or even taiji (my martial art of choice). They all teach you how to move and strike and manipulate the forces involved in the exchange.
>>
Tai Chi Chuan. My life is bliss
>>
I kick ass and occasionally chew vita-gum.

You'll have to see whether or not any of your local dojos teach that, though.
>>
>>34919278
>taiji
That's for killing dolphins right?
>>
just do thai or mma and lift some weights.
hell even some good ole boxing will keep you safe in a dark alley.
>>
File: 1447563562258.jpg (24 KB, 331x426) Image search: [Google]
1447563562258.jpg
24 KB, 331x426
>>34914624
Karate the dane cook of martial arts
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.