[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm doing stronlifts for some time. Squats, pendlay rows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1422390878856.png (326 KB, 500x598) Image search: [Google]
1422390878856.png
326 KB, 500x598
I'm doing stronlifts for some time. Squats, pendlay rows and deadlifts are going really nice, OHP sometimes stalls for few trainings, but then I keep on progressing.

The problem is bench press. I'm doing it allright, because I feel chest after training and there is a person, who is checking out, if I'm doing it allright, so I guess technique is allright too. I eat a lot of kcal (about 3000 a day), so I guess it's not a nutrition problem.

What can I do to progress with bench press faster? What mistakes possibly I'm doing?

My problems started at about 47,5 kg (104 pounds). Made it to 52,5 kg (115 pounds). My bodyweight is 71 kg (156 pounds).

tl;dr - doing strength training and have problems with bench progress. Wat do?
>>
Shameless bump
>>
Bumpeee
>>
Bumper
>>
>>34914319
Here are your options:
Make sure you don't grind, deload if needed.
Check form again. Read books.
Add accessories: triceps, dips, whatever
>>
>>34914502
You mean that I should add more exercises? Should I add them to the day I do bench the other day? Or maybe I should do them on "rest day"?

And what you mean by "grind"?
>>
Really focus on your technique. Grip the bar tightly, drive yourself into the bench when you set up. You want your entire body to be tight and tensed, bracing your core, tensing your glutes etc. Think of your body as a machine, what's going to be more efficient, a machine made of solid steel and concrete which only moves exactly as needed along its range of motion, or a machine made of floppy weak material wobbling all over the place? Every bit of energy your body has to use to stabilize and correct the inconsistencies in your bar path, bench position etc, is energy it can't use to transfer force to the bar. Just keep eating and trying hard. There comes a point where the easy initial gains start to slow down and your technique and focus become very important.
>>
Thanks for protips.

Do you think that stalling at little weight like that is normal?
>>
>>34914766
I started lifting at 75kgbw doing 45kg bench for 5x5 in the same manner as sl (alternating bench and ohp 3x week). Failed a few sets in the mid fifties due to shit form then progressed steadily to 70kg, probably took about 5-6 months overall. I only added 1kg total each time using 0.5kg plates. It became very hard at that point and switched to 3x5 and really had to focus each workout which took me to 80kg (at about 85kgbw, I bulked too hard). So basically, you're fine, don't compare yourself to others progress, if you're not short you need to keep on eating big and you'll get there. I'm not strong at all but warming up with a weight that I can remember killing myself to get the first time is a good feel. You'll be rep ping 60kg soon like it's nothing.
>>
>>34914583
Grind means you make the rep with slow speed/bad form due to too much weight.

Add them whenever you feel like. I prefer adding thm on different days though, like bench on A, then add dip on B. But really, whenever you don't feel tired enough for a few accessories, add them. Keep rest days for cardio.
>>
>>34914671
oh yeah, and this. average gymbros generally have no clue about good bench technique, not to speak of even spotting bad technique. so read. there are 30 or so pages in the ss book about bench for a reason.
>>
>>34914319
when I first started I had trouble with 30kg. I'd regularly get trapped under it and need to do the roll of shame.

This changed when I started benching 3x a week, every fucking week. It flew the fuck up quickly. There was a point when that was not feasible at all anymore without missing too many lifts (about 90kg iirc)

That was what got me out of the hole. Just doing more bench. MORE BENCH.
>>
>>34914319
Can you tell what the point of failure is for your bench? Pecs or triceps? If it's triceps try widening your grip slightly. Propping your phone up and filming your sets isn't a bad idea either. Make sure everything is as it should be.
>>
>>34915442
OHPing and benching on the same day is a free ticket to no progress city. removing OHP just for bench is also terrible.

don't actually do that
>>
>>34915455
It's like my pecs at some point just stop moving up, but they won't give up either, I can hold weight for some time, so my spotter can easily take bar from me. I have pretty wide grip, I guess, because I feel my pecs working really hard.

>>34915405
I guess I will try to focus more on technique. Also read and watch more about proper benching.

>>34915482
I'm not doing that, so I guess it's ok.

>>34915442
I'm already benching mostly 2 times a week, sometimes only once (my routine is - day a, rest, day b, rest, day a, rest, day b, rest etc. Never double rest days).

Another question - if my problem is not with triceps, but clearly with pecs, should I do some kind of other exercise during day with bench press?
If yes - what exercises and how many sets/reps?
If no - should I do only bench or just do other exercises durind day without bench?
>>
>>34915455
>filming your sets
Incredibly useful. I've gone full autist on it and now film every single warm up and work set on the big lifts. Watching your last set during your rest is a good way to check for problems and correct them without having to wait for another session.
>>
>>34915525
There is no problem besides food and technique. When you're struggling to bench more than 50kg at 70kgbw it's not because something is undeveloped or 'lagging' it's just because you've not been lifting long and you are understandably weak at bench. Obviously in the long run having more muscle in your pecs and triceps will help bench, but guess what? A great way to develop those two muscle groups is the bench press. Just keep benching, keep eating, and focus hard on your technique.
>>
>>34915525
You can always add some chest isolation at the end of the workout. 3x8. But only go this way if your arms are exhausted and you can't bench anymore that workout. Use machines, dumbbells, whatever,

But keep in mind, sometimes less is more. Think about adding more exercises after you fixed the form properly.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.