[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/ whats your opinion on Intermittent fasting or Lean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: hodge0.gif (726 KB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
hodge0.gif
726 KB, 400x226
Hey /fit/ whats your opinion on Intermittent fasting or Lean gains?I never thought about it but suddenly got interested.So apparantly you just fast a bit and eat the same amount of calories you normally would eg your tdee and your bf% goes down.Seems too good to be true is it bulshit?Anyone have exerience doing it?Do you lose muscle fasting?
>>
Calories are calories. Eating 500 cals under your tdee is way easier in two meals over 8 hours than in three meals over 16 hours.

The calories stay the same, but you feel more satisfied.

The only bad thing is that you feel like shit in the mornings for like 2 weeks due to the lack of breakfast, but that feeling goes away.

I haven't lost any muscle mass (actually making decent gains) on my IF cut
>>
File: Le-Cookies-Are-REady-640.jpg (118 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Le-Cookies-Are-REady-640.jpg
118 KB, 640x360
>>34909496
So you think most people just don't eat as much since they have less time?
I thought your body burns off some fat since you are fasting?
>>
>>34909424

In general it's just a trick to make you eat less, no magic there. Works good for some people though.
>>
>>34909424
>>34910332
See this other thread of mine.
>>
I've been cutting for 8 months, I'm about 95% to goal of my fat loss, will IF help me get past the last hump? I feel like I'm stalling a bit
>>
It makes no difference if you eat 1x a day or 10x a day.

It makes no difference if you eat carbs or not.

This is for weight loss obviously. Obviously if you eat 1x a day and no carbs, you will feel like shit during training.
>>
>>34909424

It's mad-good for fat loss if you can arrange your workouts around your fasting window.
>>
>>34911157
>It makes no difference if you eat carbs or not.
Actually, there's a huge difference there.
>>
>>34909522
your body will burn both and small amount muscle and fat due muscles are faster converted in energy than fat.
>>
>>34911199
How do you stop the body from burning muscles?
>>
>>34911187
I'm sharing my own experiences. I did keto for 4 weeks, weighing bodyfat & weight on my withings scale daily. Then I did heavy carbs before & after workouts for 4 weeks.

The results for me were no difference in weight lost or body composition, aside from initial water weight changes. but my lifts went up in the gym when I added back in carbs.

If you're thinking about these meme diets, go for it. They're great & interesting ways to "eat outside the box" & learn some new dieting tools, but in my experience they're not going to speed up your weight loss, all that matters is the calorie deficit.
>>
>>34909424
I've been doing IF for 20 years. Not purposely, I just always skipped breakfast. I can tell you it's much easier to restrict calories during IF because you just aren't even considering eating 16/24 hours of the day. You can only eat so much the rest of the day.

Pic related is the results of that. I eat pizza (2 large slices) and soda 4-5 times per week and pasta for the overwhelming majority of the rest of my meals. Take from that what you will. I wouldn't say its good for gaining, but cutting sure.

A couple words of caution: there is likely to be an adjusting period, as others have said. Also, if you've been doing IF for months and then one random day you have, say, oats or cereal for breakfast, you are very likely to get very hungry within a couple hours (i.e. well before lunch time) to the point where you have low blood sugar and the shakes. Try to include plenty of protein at breakfast to cou teract this.
>>
File: IMAG0983.jpg (772 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0983.jpg
772 KB, 1520x2688
>>34911285
Forgot pic. This was me before any lifting
>>
>>34911140
Someone please answer, this could be the last piece of my body puzzle. I just read up on IF a bit, seems like it might be just what I need. Any tips or advice??
>>
>>34911399
Yeah, it helps. But the most important is to count your macros properly. Calories in vs calories out, breh.
>>
Ive been doing IF for a while now, im eating 3000 clean calories and im not putting on any fat, im alot stronger and look it, im not after abs just want strength and im doing that with IF, weights and 2 days of 40 mins interval rowing
>>
>>34911455
I'm very proficient at counting calories but I don't really count carbs/fats/proteins much... I should point out that I'm just trying to go down a bit more in bf% and I don't care if i lose a little muscle. I used to be super fat so I want to cut down to skelly mode then bulk up
>>
>>34911471
When you say clean calories you mean stuff that isn't junk food or sugar, right? I'm a bit new to all this so I'm just curious

Like I know lasagna and pizza are calorie dense but if they're homemade are they clean?
>>
>>34911514
Well, it's time to start counting the macros then. I recommend using myfitnesspal, look up everything you eat from the database.
A good macronutrient ratio helps a lot. What works best for me is 30% fat, 35% protein, 35% carb of the calories.
>>
>>34911553
any good food recommendations for that perfect mix? my advantage is that I don't care what I eat, my disadvantage is that I used to be fat so I tend to snack alot. right now I just eat a ton of apples, bananas, eggs, chicken and salads. and oats with walnuts in the mornings

gotta stop that now though if i do IF
>>
How do you implement IF when working 9-17 and working out in the morning?
This means I have to eat all my meals in the office.
>>
>>34911160
>mad good
80s kid pls go
And take me with
>>
Question. I'm 6'1 and 13 stone 4, I've come down from 18 stone 6 by eating 1400-1800 calories. Bumped up to 2000 now, lift 3x a week SS and cardio 3/4 times + work a manual job. Will I still cut on 2000 cals? I'd like to continue losing bf%
>>
>>34911160
if I did my eating window between noon and 8pm for example, when should I workout? I do mostly cardio and basic upper body lifts
>>
>>34911574
>>34911580
I get up early, like az 6 o'clock. Go to work. Have my first meal at lunch in a restaurant, where we go to eat from work. I estimate the macros in that food. Sometimes higher in fat, sometimes higher in carbs.
I eat one or two cereal bars in the afternoon.
Then go home. Go working out.
Then plan a dinner that fits my remaining macros for the day, and eat it. It always has a right amount of quality protein from chicken, beef, shakes, etc. The carbs are totally random.
The most difficult is to come out with the fats. I like to eat a few pieces of chocolate in the evening, but in most cases the lunch from work takes up all my fat for the day.
>>
>>34911664
So you have two normal meals in your 8 hour eating window but you also have a snack in between? Doesn't that defeat the purpose or can you eat anytime during the 8 hours
>>
>>34911713
I don't really understand the question.
Ofc you can eat anytime during the eating window.
I'm not very stict to keep those 8 hours though. I eat from lunchtime until I go to bed. I learned it from Greg O'Gallagher to forget about the eating window. Just keep fasted for 4-6 hours after waking up, and you're good.
>>
>>34911526
yeah no junk or sugar...as long as its homemade, you know whats in the food then its ok
I stick away from pizza and lasagna and eat lean meats, chicken, turkey, heck chicken sausages...on days i lift i eat a lot of carbs and days i do cardio i have high protein low carbs
>>
>>34911759
I thought you could only eat twice in the eating window, two big meals. I guess that probably is just a rule of thumb to feel full

>>34911792
low carbs on cardio days and not much protein on lift days? sounds backwards
>>
>>34911824
>low carbs on cardio days and not much protein on lift days? sounds backwards
yeah i have low carbs, high protein on cardio days and high carb high protein on lifting days, sorry should of made it abit more clearer than i did
>>
>>34911824
>I thought you could only eat twice in the eating window, two big meals. I guess that probably is just a rule of thumb to feel full
i eat 3 times a day to get my full calories, it works for me
>>
>>34911285
>2 slices
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
faggot
>>
>>34911853
>>34911824
From the point when you break your fast, you'll be hungry... until you finish eating for the day, putting in the amount of calories needed. And it's not good to be hungry. This is exactly why intermittent fasting is so good: in the fasted state you aren't hungry. But after breaking the fast, I have to have those snacks :D
>>
>>34911836
so high protein always, high carbs when lifting. gotcha, thanks man

>>34911853
>>34911902
so skip breakfast, get your calories in 8 hours, fast until the next day. thanks for the help guys, going to start tomorrow and see what happens
>>
>>34911927
>so high protein always, high carbs when lifting. gotcha, thanks man
>>>34911853 (You)
>>>34911902
>so skip breakfast, get your calories in 8 hours, fast until the next day. thanks for the help guys, going to start tomorrow and see what happens
yeah spot on
>>
>>34911942
In the first month of IF, I got extremely stronger. I donno how, but I added 20-30% to all my lifts.
There must be some hormone level optimizing shit going on.
And if you do IF, you always feel good, lots of energy, never get sick. Extremely strong immune system, extreme regeneration ability. Like Wolverine. (Who does this too, by the way.)
Never ever felt this good in my life.
Never gonna stop this shit.
>>
>>34912102
no
>>
>>34912102
I can't believe it works so well. So I guess your body just feeds off all your food for the 16 hours until you eat at lunch and you just... become robust? I'm excited to see how it works on me

How long did it take for you guys to see any results? I think I already said this but I'm just trying to bust the last bit of fat I have on my stomach area and then I'm golden
>>
>>34912195
I'm telling you.
I was always the week guy, I got sick very often and easily. I had depressions and things like that. But now....
This is what evolution made us for.
This is how our body works best. Taking longer periods without food. Using the stores for energy. This creates balance between insulin and glucagon. Plus the longer periods of fasting raises the GH levels to sky high, which induces test levels to grow too.
Natural hormone boost and optimizing. That's all it is.
>>
File: 1426640185890.png (317 KB, 638x425) Image search: [Google]
1426640185890.png
317 KB, 638x425
>>34912248
awesome man, I'm totally hyped to see the results. Thanks for all the info
>>
>>34912248
this bait...
>>
>>34912280
Currently I'm doing a 40 hour fast, which I haven't done before.
I'm in the 26th hour, and look how much ketones are in my blood.
>>
>>34912248
Sounds at least as miraculous as nofap
>>
>>34911592
Start eating right and you will start losing lots of pebbles and rocks and stones
>>
>>34911792
Mods Pizza is good though because you can build it yourself and load it up with lots of veggies, protein, and essential fatty acids.

You basically make a pizza a health food.
>>
>>34909424
IF is effective because it maximizes the amount of time per day that your body is not producing insulin. This means you are maximizing the amount of time that your body is allowing itself to burn fat.

Ask yourself the question, would you rather your body be able to burn fat for 16-20 hours a day or for only 5-8 hours a day? Well the obvious answer is 16-20 hours a day. And that is what you get from IF.
>>
>>34913430
and maximizing the time it burns muscles
>>
>>34913519
lmao You won't burn any muscle until after about 48 hours of fasting idiot.
>>
IFing for 6 months now. Have made great gains. I have low body fat precentage. I eat like I'm bulking.

I would recommend IF. Drink black coffee in the morning if you are feeling sluggish. This won't break your fast.
>>
>>34911232

>calories are all that matter

This is exactly how 6-months-in lifters sound like.
>>
>>34913899
keto faggot detected. I didn't even write what you green texted. If keto works for you, great, do keto then.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.